Mafia: Definitive Edition

Heaven Angel

• 1 year later...

Finished this game today. My first Mafia game. Its pretty good, as long as you're not expecting GTA style open world. Which is important, because on first impression the game kinda looks like it'll be a GTA-esque game. But its mostly all linear missions with the open world only there for some chasing sequences and for you to drive to mission location. 

Best thing was the vibe. The graphics, sounds, atmosphere are amazing and give a great sense of 1930's America. The city looks amazing, especially the neon lit places and when it rains at night. 

Story was good but I wished they would have done more of "show-dont-tell" when it came to things like Tony's family at home.

Spoiler

He makes a huge decision at the end in favour of his wife and kids but it felt flat for me because we never see him spend time with his wife and kids. There was also a moment where it was revealed that he was trying to stop drinking alcohol because he was drinking too much and I was like wtf????? he was an alcholic?? when did that happen??? 

The combat was the weakest part. I switched to using Keyboard/Mouse towards the end because I wanted to just end the combat parts quickly. Stealth also was pretty meh. Couple of same animations all the time. 

Overall I enjoyed it. But keep expecations in check as theres nothing to do in the world. This is like the polar opposite of a Ubisoft open world game. The game is short, about 10 hours or so, which is good.

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 2