Demon's Souls

KnackChap

WTF is this tendency sh*t? :rant:

*makes a note to RTFM*

The manual doesn't mention tendency i think. There's sooooo much the manual doesn't mention. To me it's still GOTY because it was released this year here. Yes that's right - over ME2 and RDR.

Manual doesn't mention jack.Anyway, first time players shouldn't worry too much about it. If being more towards Black really makes you nervous, then simply

commit suicide

in Nexus and always be in soul form.

@Kaiser--Was that for me? I don't have the game anymore, sorry. Ever since my daughter was born I don't get much time to play. Discussions about DS and any Ninja Gaiden games do pique my interest though, since I invested a lot of time in them. Gaming just doesn't get better than NGB(last gen) and DS(this gen).

Edited by kumarab

damn, the haunting memories, bulo i still say i'll complete it and get back to you, as soon i get over the fear of stupid world 3, still gives me the creeps, the bells the ambience, the screams :samui:

@kumarab Yes your right... but 4-1 enemies give too much souls compared to how easy they are to beat them...especially the amount of souls you can farm in 4-4 and 4-2....IMO anyone doing shrine of storms first before other levels would have an easier first game...

DS is my fav non-fighting game this gen too , but i wish FromSoftware could support the game a little bit more with DLC,new bosses etc...would have been awesome..( I guess one can never have too much of a good thing :| )

Edited by Shadoken

• 2 weeks later...

After being so impressed by how amazing Uncharted 2's SP campaign is (yeah I know, i'm a year late), I started scouring Gamerankings.com for the next 'epic' game to play.

Similar to UC2, I started playing Assassin's Creed 2 3-4 months back and left it halfway. I plan to finish it but, also just bit the bullet and ordered DS:Black Phantom Edition just now.

Expecting home delivery shortly :exoticdance:

(wish me luck... *gulp*)

Fresh Meat !

Yeah, thanks... makes me feel so much better!

I think i'll start reading into the last 70 pages of this thread to see what i've gotten myself into... too late to back out now :unsure:

Edited by KiranB28

So after looking over multiple pages of this thread, these are the few conclusions i've come to (accompanied by a couple of questions):

1. I'm gonna get e-raped in about 4 hours, but it will be enjoyable.

2. I should start off as a female royal, because staring at a female a*s for 50+ hours is better than staring at a masculine one.

3. Soul Arrows are my friend, but though they are helpful in the beginning of the game, how should I evolve my Royal for her to be competent later on?

4. Thieves aren't a bad first choice either - should I skip on Royal and start with a Thief instead?

5. Does a Ranged + Magic character go for a good build? Or should I focus on Melee?

6. This parry + strike combo seems to be useful/overpowered.. what class/build do I need to be for it to be effective?

Edited by KiranB28

Strategize all you want, the first blue knight will still make you cry.

Thanks... could you provide a bit more advice on my six points above? :rolleyes:

Game's arriving at my doorstep in T minus 60 minutes... ahhhhh

Edited by KiranB28

Start with female royal, stick with spells. Magic will take you through world 1 easily, which will help you get used to the game. Use the first walkway to practice melee also, since there are areas where you will need it. Once you take your hours to finish the first world, you will get a pretty good idea which way you want to develop.

Oh and get through the first world first, I know many people who are fanatic about finishing games but stopped in the first world.

Tyler :rant:

Don't fret too much. If you're not the overly impatient type...you won't find it as hard as it's made out to be. In fact, it's not hard at all..atleast not in the Ninja Gaiden sort of way. The game is simply unforgiving. Picking up a royal for the first run is definitely useful..yeah..but in the end all it boils down to...have you learned enemy patterns? Have you got strafing/rolling down? so on and so forth.

Going primarily melee or ranged/magic is all upto you..depends on what you find fun. However, there is no doubt that bows/ranged magic can make the game much easier and downright trivial in some special cases(fog door glitching,going hyper mode etc). Dead bosses in 30 seconds or so.

Try working on outmanouvering your opponents and finding holes in their defense(of course, this will lead to some deaths in the beginning) for backstabs/critical hits. Learn enemy weaknesses, some are weak to magic,some are weak to fire, some to poison,some to slash, some to piercingand then there are some who have great defences against almost everything. Never go for a "balanced" build if you're thinking of PvP'ing at any point in time--it just won't work. For PvE however, it's perfectly plausible. For example--if you're thinking of making a melee based hard hitter, then there really is no point in spending too much on Intel/Mag/Faith/Luck....pump Strength up and go for crushing weapon upgrades. If you'rebuilding Dex for using the elite bows then go for Sharp weapon upgrades...or Quality upgrades if you're balancing Str/Dex.

Similarly, for Mag/Faith builds youcould go for Moon/Crescent/Blessed weapon upgrades..etc etc. Never be enticed by the cool weapon prefixes, a Viscious Compound Longbow might sound good...but a normally upgraded longbow would suit a str based character better. In general though--These are some of the early items that can make your life much easier(starting as a royal). Heater shield for 100HitRes, thief/cling ring/winged spear in 1-1, compound longbow in 1-2, crescent falchion+1 in 4-1, dragon longsword+2 in 2-2. Also do a bit of research on how white and black tendencies affect the world, enemies andyour character..but it's better to leave that for NG+.

Just some things off the top of my head...get in..and you'll learn with some patience. Just don't play it as a hack n slash...strategy comes first in DS.

Wow, well.. umm... 1-1 wasn't as bad as I thought.

I only died three times:

1. Near the beginning, got too adventurous...

2. Tried avoiding all enemies and running past them after I died the first time... only to get swarmed by 6 dredglings who made mince meat out of me...

3. Last but not least out of stupidity - stood in front of the barricaded boulders and slashed away the barricades, making pancakes out of myself.

The Soul Arrow made things incredibly easy to the point where it started feeling like cheating. I never really faced a challenge throughout the entire first level because of Soul Arrow; it's making me wonder if I should continue using it or start playing melee for a bit of a challenge.

Fighting the Phalanx was fairly straightforward as well - kept circle-strafing, fire-bombing, healing and Soul Arrowing the bastard; down on the first try.

More tomorrow, off to a wedding for now! :exoticdance: