Pillars of Eternity

SRINI87

• 4 months later...

Project Eternity now Pillars of Eternity, gets first gameplay trailer

Project Eternity has been dubbed Pillars of Eternity by developer Obsidian Entertainment, which also offers a first gameplay trailer for the crowdfunded classic RPG.

The new title is displayed resplendently on the Eternity website. Unfortunately, the title announcement wasn’t accompanied by a release date; we’re still stuck with a vague 2014 for the Linux, Mac and PC title.

src: vg247

Can Mods please Change the thread name to Pillars Of Eternity

• 1 month later...

Update #70

Areas
As most of you know, we finished up Od Nua (our mega-dungeon) in our last milestone. I have to say, I think it looks pretty amazing. Currently, the area team is working on our second big city, Twin Elms, and it is looking just as good. Here, take a look for yourself.

pe-te-oldsong-580.jpg
Ancient Engwithan ruins near Twin Elms.

Without getting into too much detail, the Area Designers are fleshing out the end of the game right now and everything is really coming together. The area in the screenshot above looks like the perfect place for a big fight, huh?

Characters
Our character team has been cranking out new creatures and equipment.

We are almost completely through all of our A priority creatures. Soon we will be working on our B priority creatures and lots of equipment variations.

One of the creatures that was just finished to Alpha quality is the Cean Gŵla. These banshee-like undead are the spirits of women who died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.

Take a look at the comparison images below.

pe-cean-580.jpg
In-engine and concept comparison of the Cean Gŵla.

UI
Most of our UI has either been implemented or mocked up to an Alpha level. The interface that we would like to show you today is the character sheet, which shows character and party information. You can find lots of useful info on the sheet including various party statistics, your reputations with Eternity factions, and character stats.

pe-ui-character-sheet-580.jpg
The character sheet has many useful player and party statistics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can Mods please Change the thread name to Pillars Of Eternity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pillars of Eternity delayed to later this year

pe-logo-915x585.jpg

Obsidian's Kickstarted RPG will miss its projected April release date, giving us more time to figure out whether 'eternal' pillars would really be such a good thing – I mean, you'd never be able to see what was on the ceiling. The return to The Good Old Days of stat sheets and isometric viewpoints will have to wait a few months more – and the reason? You lot gave them too much money. 'April' was Obisidian's guess when they were asking for a paltry one million simoleons, but after raising four times as much and expanding the scope of the project to match, they've pushed that vague date back to an even vaguer Sometime Late This Year.

Project lead Josh Sawyer revealed that “when we started with a million-dollar budget and a relatively modest game with five classes [there are now 11], that was assuming if we get $1m we can make this game and we'll probably get it done by April. We got almost four-times as much money and that's a much bigger game, and that doesn't mean that immediately we just dump four-times as many people on it and it also gets done in April. There's a lot more stuff to do."

"We knew that at that time. But until we get really close to releasing the game we don't want a specific release window, because we're not a publisher, we don't have to! Virtually nothing good comes from us releasing a date before we're very confident in it. It's not going to be in spring; we're going to be working into spring to get the alpha done because it's a big game."

There is some good news, however. You'll be pleased to hear that more than half the content of the game is done, at least to an alpha state. Speaking of which, Obsidian are planning to put the game on Steam Early Access when it's done enough for you to able to play it.

Source: PCGamer via EuroGamer

Pillars of Eternity release date set for "winter 2014"

pe-screenshot-004-1920x1080.jpg

Update 72 of Pillars of Eternity's regularly updated Kickstarter development blog has a statement from "newest producer" Rose Gomez saying Obsidian are "looking good to release Eternity by Winter 2014". It seems so far away, but the cold season is a good time to settle into a massive, sumptuous RPG.

We're quite excited about Eternity. We spent ten minutes yesterday crowded around a screen looking at the reassuringly detailed map, pointing at places like the "Lake of Drowned Tombs" and "Fort Bonepicker" and saying "I'm going to explore the hell out of that". Obsidian have been dropping occasional screenshots into their Kickstarter update feed to provide a sense of how the old ruins and murky dungeons will look in the final game

Source: PCGamer via KickStarter

• 2 months later...

Interview with Josh Sawyer: On world building, psychic warriors and Magic

Pillars-of-Eternity-1.jpg

PC Gamer: What’s it been like creating such a rich fantasy world completely from scratch?

JoshSawyer: It’s very time consuming. When someone wants to know anything about the world, you have to figure out what the answer to that is. There’s no source book you can fall back on. It all needs to be made up when it’s needed, and even anticipating what people will need to know can be difficult. World-building can be exhausting, but it’s also satisfying to make the choices you want about the setting you’re making.

PC Gamer: Is someone at Obsidian in charge of keeping track of all the lore you’re writing to prevent contradictions and inconsistencies?

Josh Sawyer: Ultimately I’m the person who’s the chief regulator of lore, especially when it comes to the history of the world, the cultures of the world, and things like languages. That’s the sort of stuff I’ve been involved with on the project since the beginning, so I wound up being the caretaker.

PC Gamer: Infinity Engine games like Baldur’s Gate and Torment had very distinctive settings. How would you describe the look and atmosphere of Pillars of Eternity’s world?

Josh Sawyer: We’re trying to capture the look of games like Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate, where it looks a little less overtly fantastic and a little more realistic. In a lot of cases we looked at 2nd Edition D&D art by people like Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson, and Clive Caldwell. Not always, but their style tends to be a little more dressed down than fantasy is today, with colour palettes that are a little more subdued. So we’ve tried to go for that kind of a feeling, so that when a person looks at our game it really does look like a high resolution version of the classic games that have inspired what we’re making.

In terms of the overall tone of the world, I’d say that we do want it to feel like a fantasy world, but we also want it to feel believable. We want it to feel like a place where people are actually living, and it’s a world that’s in the process of change. One thing I really wanted to avoid was the kind of cliche of a fantasy world that’s stuck in perpetual dragon times, where the golden age has long since passed, and inexplicably for the next ten thousand years everyone is still going to be using swords and casting spells. So I wanted to have a setting that felt like it was in the process of a transition, which creates a lot of conflict for the characters in the world, and hopefully that produces rich storytelling material.

For the complete interview, head over to PCGamer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pillars of Eternity E3 2014 Preview Coverage

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity looks old, and that's good news
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/19/ob...ats-good-news/

Pitched as a return to the days of games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment – isometric RPGs developed on BioWare's Infinity Engine – Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian is decidedly old-school. Where other games may tout streamlined gameplay and accessibility, Pillars holds its stats-based and number-heavy head up high as it walks through environments befitting a medieval fantasy world.

This isn't a revolution or new beginning for the genre, but a return to form.

Pillars of Eternity E3 preview: Infinity reborn
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/pill...finity-reborn/

It's like the Infinity Engine hasn't aged a day. If you were a teeanger 15 years ago, when legendary Infinity Engine games such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment were redefining the computer RPG, Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity is probably exactly what you see in your mind's eye. In reality, those old pre-rendered backgrounds are now plasticky and microscopic on high-res monitors. Pillars of Eternity is how you remember those games looking: moodily lit, each isometric scene packed with evocative tiny details. And from the short demo I saw at E3, Obsidian has done exactly what its 73,986 Kickstarter backers want: create a 1999 RPG with a 2014 graphical shine.

Pillars of Eternity Looks Like The Next Great Computer RPG (written by Jason Schreier)
http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternit...ter-1592836049

I saw it last week in a closed-door session at E3, and what was once a bunch of promises and papers now appears to be a worthy successor to the old computer role-playing games that so many of us loved back in the day.

In fact, if Pillars of Eternity lives up to expectations, I imagine people will spend a lot of time calling it things like The Baldur's Gate II Sequel We Never Got and The Next Great Computer RPG. From what I've seen so far—which, admittedly, isn't very much—it seems to meet those standards.

Pillars of Eternity Preview: Hallelujah for Classic Isometric RPGs
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...Isometric-RPGs

The short demo was impressive, and immediately upon seeing the opening sequence, memories of Baldur's Gate came flooding back. While the isometric view was part of that, the art and Infinity-engine style - down to the movement cursor and colored circles around characters and enemies - was strikingly similar, and that's not a bad thing.

src: Gaf

Making right sounds

• 1 month later...

Archived