The Windows Thread

MarketTantrik

Damn!!! So what happens to all the games that have been released for the Zune HD?

No PGR: Ferrari Edition on WinPho7 ? :lol:

well, snapdragon is good with gfx as well (although slightly below tegra) so you should get to see games and stuff although they would definitely need to be ported to get similar performance.

An explanation of the WinPho7 User Interface

2ebtnwj.jpg

I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot.

Microsoft's approach is completely different. Instead of becoming another me-too cellphone, like Android and the rest, the Windows Phone 7 team came up their own vision of what the cellphone should be. In the process, they have created a beautiful user interface in which the data is at the center of user interaction. Not the apps—specific functions—but the information itself. At some points, in fact, it feels like the information is the interface itself.

Rather than accessing an app to get contact information and make a call to a person, open another app to get her Twitter updates, and then another app to get her Facebook updates, and another for her latest mails to you, and yet another one to watch her photos, the Windows Phone's people hub offers a seamless view into all of it, presented in a very simple and logical way. On a function-centric model like the iPhone, when the user thinks "I want to make a call", he puts the device in "calling mode" by clicking on an app, selects a contact, and calls. When the user thinks "What's up with John Smith?" he puts the device in Facebook or Twitter or Mail mode, and so on.

Instinctively, I like Microsoft's approach to organizing the core of our digital lives—people+social+multimedia+communication all merged into the hubs. I like it better than the "it's a phone, it's a mail program, it's a browser, it's an iPod" Apple approach. It's less rigid than the iPhone or Android's model, offering a richer experience, inviting to explore, and offering data from many points of view in a quick, clearly organized way. It also seems more human, and that's certainly something Apple—or their followers—have to worry about.

Click the link to read the full article

Its a product I am genuinely excited about. I have used PocketPC and WinMo for nearly 7 years before I switched to another platform in 2007. I am glad to see its terrific new avatar.

Its not the Microsoft connection. Its nostalgia. Plus I really, really, really love my Zune HD.

so am i seeing your next phone being talked about in this thread ? :panic:

absolutely, though i am picking omina pro this weekend, will flash it with Win 7 ROM, with its hardware it should be able to easily pull it off, and pick the second set of MS phone :good:

Same thoughts bro. i dont have much respect for microsoft's hardware....but guess its abt to change. :panic:

The Xbox360 is a great piece of kit. The Zune HD even more so.

Microsoft's PC peripherals have long been fantastic and continue to be so.

Many of you have blinkered vision. Thats the problem.

^^i am wrong in a way i dont have much knowledge of microsoft products as you have and tbh till now whatever i have used like keyboard and xbox 360 pc controller experience has been quite good...so the respect comment was based on mostly on xbox 360 PRROD issue,scratching issue (now dont get me wrong here not saying xbox is not a good console it can hold its own for sure )...talking abt hardware so that is why a little respect went down for microsoft hardware.

Marketplace on the Windows Phone features one application with an icon, title, and one-line description. One touch gesture (drag/flick) later, there's a menu consisting of six items. Tapping on "applications" takes you to another featured application. One more drag/flick and you are finally seeing three applications you can download. Contrast the amount of information present on this screen (the fourth in the process) with the amount shown on the iPhone's initial App Store display.

this was kinda what i wanted to say with regards to the interface.

http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1002

another concern : is it really clear what is tappable by looking at the videos?

also

Every phone will have a Bing (search) button and a Start button. Custom skins, like the minor miracles HTC worked, are now banned.

so basically no hardware maker has any control over the software. which can be a good thing for ms, not so good for the hardware guys.

Isn't Omnia's touch screen resistive? If so, Win 7 ROM's will only work with capacitive touch screen phone's like HTC HD2.

Ya seems like that, but then can't help need a new phone right now, can't wait a year :rofl:

Isn't Omnia's touch screen resistive? If so, Win 7 ROM's will only work with capacitive touch screen phone's like HTC HD2.

I don't think it will be too difficult to hack in resistive support into the ROMs

this was kinda what i wanted to say with regards to the interface.

http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1002

another concern : is it really clear what is tappable by looking at the videos?

also

so basically no hardware maker has any control over the software. which can be a good thing for ms, not so good for the hardware guys.

MS is trying to imitate Apple here by controlling the "User Experience". Not sure whether it will be a good thing or not. Not everyone can pull it off well, especially considering that one of the "strengths" of WM so far was its extensibility. Now that wouldn't be the case anymore. :)

Archived