Bioshock Infinite Story Discussion **SPOILERS**

Tyler

I haven't read what has been posted earlier but here's where this story falls apart for me. For everything every choice that is made or not made, there's an alternate universe where the opposite happened. For a given universe or set of choices, certain things are constant while others are variables, or inconsequential (like the necklace/cage or coin toss).

Yes, there are some ways to look at these things, what I think,

• There is no pre-defined set of universes, this is not Newtonian principle in motion, every action (choice) does not have an equal and opposite reaction. There are x number of realities (all in parallel, INFINITE), for simplicities sake in one of these realities Booker after the Wounded Knee massacre starts to look towards religion as a source of salvation. He meets Preacher Witting who proposes a Baptism.
  • In other parallel scenarios Booker hits the bottle and gambling to forget about the massacre, he takes a wife and has a child (Anna / Elizabeth), the lady dies during child-birth. At an unspecified time Booker joins the Pinkerton Agency whilst continuing to work as a PI.
  • So while this is happening in one of the alternate reality situation, Booker gets bapitised and adopts the persona of Zachary Hale Comstock (hiding his half-Indian lineage). He gains favour with the political class and through this he starts funding the 'city' of Columbia which is based on Rosalind Lutece's work. In the other parallels Booker carries on as a Pinkerton.
  • Eventually Comstock takes control over Columbia and starts to tour the world in a bid to spread his vision of 'America' which is a toxic mix of American Romanticism, The White Man's Burden and Religion backed statesmanship. He also invests further in Rosalind's alternate projects of opening tears to other 'realities' which he mistakes for a means to predict the future. Eventually Rosalind pulls in her 'twin' Robert from another reality.
  • Meanwhile Booker continues to crash in his reality, his debts increase and he becomes an alcoholic.
  • Over-time Robert and Rosalind manage to make their tear making systems stable and usable, Comstock uses this to peek into the immediate future / alternate realities repeatedly, supposedly coming up with visions of the future. All this takes a physical toll on him, he loses his virility and cannot conceive a child with his bride, Lady Comstock who was one of his ardent followers.
  • Comstock tasks the Lutece 'twins' with finding a suitable child to succeed him as the leader of Columbia, this leads to Robert going back to his reality which is also Booker's reality. He offers Booker a chance to 'redeem' himself and to pay of all his 'debts' if he hands over Anna to him. All this culminates in the deal getting through but Booker gets cold feet and decides to get back Anna. This does not happen and Robert and Comstock manage to get away with Anna to Columbia, in the ensuing scuffle Anna loses her little finger via the tear. This is also where she gets her tear opening ability.
  • Comstock rechristens Anna as Elizabeth, Booker goes further into alcoholism and brands himself AD as a means to remember her lose. An unspecified time later, tensions flare up between Comstock and Lady Comstock on the origin of the 'child', she suspects Rosalind Lutece, who rebuffs her attempts. Comstock arranges for her to be murdered and pins it on Daisy Fitzgerald. The Lutece get wind of this and try to solve the issue but Comstock has them 'killed' by Fink when they are experimenting. This just manages to make them ethereal beings who can jump between 'realities' at will.
  • They locate the drunkard Booker from whom they had taken Anna and enlist him to attack Columbia, ostensibly on the same words with which Robert had used to get Anna from him in the first place. Due to the time gap and the amount of conflicting memories that come up in his mind, Booker creates a broken memory state in which Roberts words act as the catalyst to enter and 'recover' the girl to 'repay' his 'debt'.
  • After this comes the various constants options. Coin toss always heads, because the Columbian Silver Eagle always lands on its head (notice every time Elizabeth tosses you a coin) and because in all the prior events Booker always states his opinion as heads. About the bird and the cage, I cannot come up with any such theory as it seems as a purely cosmetic choice to illustrate and cement the line of thought for 'constants and variables'.

Then you obviously know what happens and I don't need to explain you. All of this hinges on only ONE single 'reality' in which Booker goes on to become Comstock, it is flimsy premise but still at-least explained better than other shooters narratives and time-travel / warping movies / games.

I have not attached a moral to the story Per se but for me it is how one person given adequate amount of confusion can try to rearrange those fractured pieces to get a 'whole' that can be justified for their 'journey'.

Overall a fun romp, even without agency it did a lot more to me than CoD or some other shooter can throw up on the screen.

The most interesting thing about the DLC:

-in the style of Chandleresque detective story (but i am assuming you shoot a lot more people than analyse clues)

-Set on the night that the revolution in Rapture destroyed the city, so we get to see Rapture before the fall.

-get to play as Elisabeth in the second part

-using all new assets to create Rapture (as per the interview in Eurogamer with Ken Levine)

- Old characters are returning in new light.

Worst part: Its broken into two parts divided by unspecified months in between, which sort of sucks for one complete story.

• 3 weeks later...

Completed this game , i didn't understand it fully , have some doubt .

1) When booker and elizabeth goes to the world where he serve as martyr for vox populi cause . What would have happen if elizabeth didn't kill daisy fitzroy ?

2) In the world , where elizabeth grows older and columbia attack new york , is she responsible for it ? and does she feel guilty ?

When booker and elizabeth goes to the world where he serve as martyr for vox populi cause . What would have happen if elizabeth didn't kill daisy fitzroy ?

I doubt the game accounts for such a possibility.

In the world , where elizabeth grows older and columbia attack new york , is she responsible for it ? and does she feel guilty ?

She goes to extreme lengths to get Booker into that plane of existence for a reason, she does have guilt for the event.

Completed this game , i didn't understand it fully , have some doubt .

1) When booker and elizabeth goes to the world where he serve as martyr for vox populi cause . What would have happen if elizabeth didn't kill daisy fitzroy ?

2) In the world , where elizabeth grows older and columbia attack new york , is she responsible for it ? and does she feel guilty ?

1) game never explains but there could be a.case.that later in the.last battle she.comes to destroy the hand of prophet.

2)guilt yes and also to stop the suffering she has faced to Elizabeth in other worlds

• 7 months later...

Yay!

Found this thread (Atleast in this universe, might not find it in another universe)

Ever since I've been a small kid I've been thinking about alternate universes and the different choices at a junction each leading to a different parallel universe. Bioshock Infinite, as a result, was very home-like for me.

The ending's all clear :P

Love, love, love the DLCs (especially episode 2), and how it ties up lose threads and expands the universe. Absolutely gorgeous too.

My favourite parts were the tinier ones: the link between Songbird and Elizabeth and the Big Daddies and Little Sisters is made very explicit, from a subtle callback to the earlier game when you play Infinite to a more direct explanation. The same goes for the Plasmids and Vigours that share space between the two worlds. Still only half-way through ep.2 so dont have any idea of whats next.

What huge, epic, wonderful pieces of fiction these were. Great games, and I cant wait to see what Levine and his now smaller team does next.

Question:- eli frm Ep 1 did not know that killing last comstock would laso psell doom for her?

its been bugging me quite a lot since before Ep 2 she was all knowing .in Ep 2 on the encounter with big daddy it seems like she was unaware

Elizabeth from episode 2 loses her abilities and her capacity "to see all doors", even her memories are smudgy. So she probably knew that going to Rapture would kill her (because she saw it) but did it anyway, and now doesn't remember it.. I think imaginary Booker even comments on it. But saving the girl (Macguffin) was more important.

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth from episode 2 loses her abilities and her capacity "to see all doors", even her memories are smudgy. So she probably knew that going to Rapture would kill her (because she saw it) but did it anyway, and now doesn't remember it.. I think imaginary Booker even comments on it. But saving the girl (Macguffin) was more important.

my question is for eli frm ep1.

she could.see all doors,so why go.to her own demise

Archived