The Book Thread

Amay

Man I remember trying to get books pre flipkart. Had to wait like a year before I could import World War Z and Zombie survival guide from the UK. And I remember feeling positively giddy with joy the time I found the Game of thrones series in the local bookstore. I had read so much about it on the net and was looking for it forever and then BAM! there it was. Ditto for the original Halo trilogy. Not to mention finding books that were never seen in a bookstore on the street vendors in Saket and Vasant vihar for like 150 bucks. It almost felt like stealing. It was like finding gold. :lol:

Now you can just order anything you want and have it in a couple of weeks tops. Its nice but it misses the excitement of coming across what you have wanted for a long while without any warning.

Stephen King announces a sequel to The Shining.

It's now official--Stephen is working on Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining. This weekend Steve read an excerpt from this at his appearance at George Mason University. They have given us permission to post their taping of the event here on Steve's site which we will do as soon as we receive the file. Dr. Sleep's plot includes a traveling group of vampires called The Tribe which is part of the passage he read from.

http://www.stephenking.com/news.html

Midway through Blood Meridian. Its bloody good. Pick it up if you havent read it yet. ASAP.

Also got Name of the Wind from Flipkart. Its supposed to be very GRRM like. And considering that the next book of SoIaF might well be another decade away, I will take what I can find.

Edited by Aftrunner

• 2 weeks later...

In GoT, you annotate or you die !

Subtext-GameOfThrones_M.png

​I feel pretty safe in saying that most of us here enjoy George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, whether it be the books or the HBO show. It's a rich world filled with complex characters and an epic tale which eschews traditional genre storytelling. But man, it is complex -- I'm not ashamed to say there are so many characters, major and minor, so many families and cities and sh*t going on that I've often had to look things up on Westeros.org to refresh my memory while reading.

Which is why I'm incredibly delighted to tell you The Annotated Game of Thrones is now available, at least on your iPad! It's via a free app called Subtext, which allows people to add notes to ebooks. Before you think this is some Wikipedia anybody-off-the-street endeavor, I should say this is an official annotation commissioned by Random House, done by ASoIaF editor Anne Groell, my pal and occasional TR contributor Sean T. Collins (who writes incredibly insightful thoughts on the books at his site Boiled Leather, as well as posting awesome Game of Thrones fan art) and Elio Garcia, the webmaster of Westeros.org (he's the dude George R.R. Martin calls when he's forgotten something about the world of his books. Seriously). Together, they've created more than 1,000 annotations for A Game of Thrones, and plans are underway to do the rest of the books. And for those of you who don't have an iPad, don't worry -- Subtext is currently working on a web version so everyone will get to enjoy it. For more info, check out the post at Westeros.

Now I can finally start reading this ! :dance: