XBOX Series S/X remote play tested - Thoughts and questions

As a followup on this , thought I might as well share my feedback on XB series remote play performance.

As mentioned earlier, I tend to use remote play extensively within the house , esp late at night to play from the bedroom rather than sitting in front of the living room TV.

Unfortunately the story is not particularly positive.

1) Android Tab - 3/10 tested on S7+.  Low resolution-probably 800x600 at low bit rates with bad macroblocking. Only positive is that controller latency is really nice and low

2) ipad OS - 3/10 tested on ipad pro M1. Same as above. Low resolution with low bit rates . No HDR either. Controller latency continues to be low

3) Windows laptop-  7/10 - tested on a i5 10th gen Ultrabook. This yielded a far more usable result. Resolution and bit rate were definitely in usable territory but certainly not as good as PS5. Controller latency was really nice again.

4) Mac OS - MS has not released a client   

I am not a long term XB user but from what I can gather, Up until XB one, LAN remote play used to be routed locally (as it should be) 

With Series S/X, they seem to have made some changes where either the entire remote play traffic is being routed over the Internet or at a very minimum 

For the testing, consoles were on wired gigabit, clients were on 866/866 mbps wifi. Internet speed was 800+ mbps up/down

Internet test on console  flagged latency in amber (60ms +)  as the test would have happened with xbox cloud servers presumably in Singapore

However, it appears that the end client app uses the numbers above to determine the bit rate / resolution for game streaming and drops the resolution to avoid frame drops or excessive lag.

Unfortunately it does not seem to account for the fact that the client is on a LAN with  near 0 latency.

As a side effect of this fiasco, I also ended up buying a series X as I initially assumed the poor quality of streaming is because of Series S and now will have to go through the hassle of selling the S (and taking a loss :wallbash: )

Edited by superczar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, superczar said:

With Series S/X, they seem to have made some changes where either the entire remote play traffic is being routed over the Internet or at a very minimum

I've read multiple people mention this now. You're probably right about it. Last time I tried Remote Play, I faced some issues with the controller inputs (which I didn't face with XB1) so I haven't bothered since. I'll confirm your results in case I try again.

3 hours ago, superczar said:

As a side effect of this fiasco, I also ended up buying a series X as I initially assumed the poor quality of streaming is because of Series S and now will have to go through the hassle of selling the S (and taking a loss :wallbash: )

The fact that this fiasco made you buy a Series X is a blessing in disguise. Get rid of the S asap.

37 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

The fact that this fiasco made you buy a Series X is a blessing in disguise. Get rid of the S asap.

LOL

Not too sure about that though.
Had it been my primary console, the X would have been made sense.

But the S is a remarkably good VFM device - really low resolutions aside, I don't see a huge improvement going beyond 1080p   (specifically games, videos are a different story)
To my surprise, the S and X seem to be hitting similar frame rates (I can't play @30  but anything 60 or more is fine)

Given the size, cost and capabilities, the S is quite remarkable for what its worth :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, superczar said:

really low resolutions aside, I don't see a huge improvement going beyond 1080p  

Not true at all. Games benefit a lot from higher resolutions if you have the right display. There is a noticeable difference when playing games such as Horizon FW, FF7 remake etc in performance vs resolution mode on a good 4k tv (oled, qled etc)

24 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Not true at all. Games benefit a lot from higher resolutions if you have the right display. There is a noticeable difference when playing games such as Horizon FW, FF7 remake etc in performance vs resolution mode on a good 4k tv (oled, qled etc)

For what it's worth, I currently use QLED, OLED and mini-LED displays in addition to a couple of traditional LCDs.

Also, you are misinterpreting what I am trying to say. I said "huge improvement" and not "improvement"

For videos . 800x600 looks bad, 1280x720 looks just about acceptable, 1920x1080 looks decent, 1440p looks good and 2160p is better - standard rule of diminishing returns

However, beyond 1440p (or arguably even 1080p), you get greater visual improvements with HDR than say adding further resolution

In other words, if i had to choose between watching a movie in 1440p HDR over 2160p SDR, I would prefer the former by a wide margin - although 2160p HDR would naturally be an even more preferred choice.

For games, the situation is further flattened. Most games today seem be have a far higher level of sharpening applied during the rendering than what you would see in any normal Video. It is unfortunate and annoying - but it is what it is - and not something you and I can change.

What that means for the end user is that this further reduces the perceived difference between 1080, 1440 and 2160p  .

Do note that I am not saying there is no difference , just that it is limited difference that is noticeable if you pixel peep but not so much while you are actually engrossed in a game. 

Edited by superczar

16 minutes ago, superczar said:

For what it's worth, I currently use QLED, OLED and mini-LED displays in addition to a couple of traditional LCDs.

Also, you are misinterpreting what I am trying to say. I said "huge improvement" and not "improvement"

For videos . 800x600 looks bad, 1280x720 looks just about acceptable, 1920x1080 looks decent, 1440p looks good and 2160p is better - standard rule of diminishing returns

However, beyond 1440p (or arguably even 1080p), you get greater visual improvements with HDR than say adding further resolution

In other words, if i had to choose between watching a movie in 1440p HDR over 2160p SDR, I would prefer the former by a wide margin - although 2160p HDR would naturally be an even more preferred choice.

For games, the situation is further flattened. Most games today seem be have a far higher level of sharpening applied during the rendering than what you would see in any normal Video. It is unfortunate and annoying - but it is what it is - and not something you and I can change.

What that means for the end user is that this further reduces the perceived difference between 1080, 1440 and 2160p  .

Do note that I am not saying there is no difference , just that it is limited difference that is noticeable if you pixel peep but not so much while you are actually engrossed in a game

Thats just a subjective opinion though.

Higher resolution (pixel count) lets animators add a greater level of detail to characters and environment, its not just about being sharper. This is visibly clearer in games such as Rift apart, Horizon fw, ff7 remake, returnal, etc. 

15 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Thats just a subjective opinion though.

Higher resolution (pixel count) lets animators add a greater level of detail to characters and environment, its not just about being sharper. This is visibly clearer in games such as Rift apart, Horizon fw, ff7 remake, returnal, etc. 

I never said it's 100% objective - I was just sharing my subjective opinion :)

25 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

blasphemy!

:D:bigyellowgrin:

I do like the X.. thats what I am keeping as well - just a bit disappointed by the remote play issue ..

Here's a shot of the beauty, the beast and the monster together .. Thought I may as well take one for posterity's sake before one of them goes away ..
and if you notice closely, there is a little gem from a different era tucked away under the trio as well :fear1:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wnR6mkM.jpg[/img]

Edit: Just realized image tags dont work on this board.. or am i missing something?

Edited by superczar