Resistance 2

KnackChap

Original Resistance used just 10% of PS3's power

The potential of the PlayStation 3 continues to be huge, after it was revealed that launch title Resistance: Fall of Man used just 10% of the console's power.

Touted for its incredible visuals, Resistance used only around 10% to 20% of the PS3's SPU. Details were revealed in official documents released by developer Insomniac Games detailing the development process behind Fall of Man.

Unlike certain other companies, Insomniac regularly discuss SPU utilisation, and in the past they have revealed that the process will see major benefits for years to come.

Insomniac's Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings told Videogamer.com, "The tech and gameplay teams have moved tons of things over to the SPUs that used to run on the PPU. Collision and physics are entirely running on SPUs now, which allows us to put much more on the screen at once than we were able to with Resistance. Moving more and more code to the SPUs is an ongoing process and I think we'll continue to see major benefits from this for several more years."

This news is sure to whet the appetite of gamers already relishing the game's sequel, Resistance 2, which is due to be released in September.

It also bodes well for future games across the board, with many developers yet to tap in to the full power and resources offered by the powerful PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

some snippets from the podcast

60p online matches are already being played internally

single player levels done

motion capture used not only for cinematics(think killzone'a awesome death animations)

have a great relationship with Guerilla games and have been sharing tech and assets with them

are in the same position of development cycle) that they were just one month before the launch of resistance 1

From what I hear -

# 60 player MP maps

# 8 player coop

yes 60mp online

8p co-op that has its own story and is a completely different campaign whch is as long(if not longer) than the single player campaign, its also squad based and has randomized geometry on each playthrough

Resistance 2 - Attack on the USA - Exclusive new details

no its not the official subtitle

"Resistance 2 will feature the Chimera in a major onslaught at the San Francisco Bridge and other American landmarks.

Insomniac games have finally started talking facts. In a major feature of the Official PlayStation Magazine UK they have revealed a number of exciting new details. Resistance 2 continues where the first game finished, with Nathan travelling to Iceland, the base of SRPA (Special Projects Research Administration.) When he gets there he discovers that there are others humans who have been infected by mutant DNA who also have mutant healing and telepathic abilities. They have been bought together as a task force known as the Sentinels, each with their own abilities and weapons.

The Multi-player modes are not tacked-on cameos to the single player game, they are fully fledged co-stars! A lot of work has been put into the co-op. Lead Designer Colin Munson says "Eight players is that sweet team size. It's enough so that you pretty much know the people on your team but it's big enough to let new players in." The co-op campaign will focus on teamwork, with the game testing players ability to work together. "The initial bridge attack forces players to deal with danger from multiple angles. The Titans meanswhile require the squad to divide and conquer, as these behomoths can easily take out an entire squad with one hit from a rocket cannon."

The 60 person multiplayer game will be divided into 2 teams of 30. Each team will be divided into smaller squads with their own objectives. Insomniac will make it easy and fun to get online"

* There are 3 co-op character classes. Soldier, medic, and special-ops trooper. Each can collect XP points to improve their skills

* The Splitter is a new weapon, a mini-gun that can spray a barrage of rounds

* Special abilities can be 'charged up' by killing aliens. If your shields are down, kill more aliens to recharge.

* The medic will shoot a special gun on the injured

* The new stalker has been significantly upgraded in detail level and functionality. It now features a big red eye at the front.

* New super-bosses. Giant size. That arent taken down the same way as other enemies are taken down. They have full AI, and dynamic animation.

I agree with you on this one with resistance sam , I thought the game was really really really abusing the colour grey ! :P . But Resistance 2 seems ALOT more colourful and it looks like it should be an amazing experience . I hope other devs start putting more effort into maiking ps3 games look amazing and start using more of the ps3's power. I'm tired of getting xbox 360 ports and get the same graphics because the xbox 360 isn't as powerfu as the ps3... I had an xbox 360 and sold it . It was fun but I don't think it's "next gen" .

Work at Insomniac, play life-sized chess

Resistance 2 date revealed?

The Game Developers Conference isn’t just about showing off new games (really, that’s a rather small part of the conference). It’s a place where aspiring game developers can land themselves the job of a lifetime. Like working for Insomniac Games. As if getting to work on the Ratchet and Resistance series wasn’t incentive enough, the Insomniacs are attempting to lure in new candidates via song at their booth. Take a look:

-----------------------------

not the right thread but, it kinda reveals resistance 2 date.

hehe crazy mofos....gotta love insomniac...that is one hell of a recruitment video

hmm resistence 2 in july, huh?....im lokking forward to it just so i can play 8-man co-op and rely on other people to get me through the game

12 new Chimeran Enemies??

peace

July date is fake,its coming this november.

Sam if there is one game that can get you into online multiplayer its this, acc to ted price the 8p coop mode is designed in such a way that once you play and complete it, you will be ready for the multiplayer(sort of like a big online multiplayer training mode).also ngai croal who recently played the game was saying at 1up podacst that he saw things there and if they even come anywhere near pulling it off the game is going to be special.

^^ I agree with that point. I play Crysis MP occasionally and the 32 player deathmatches are simply ridiculous. Average life span per cycle is barely 6-8 seconds (and I tend to rank in the top 5-8 in every match). You simply cannot execute any strategy or bother with picking up weapons. Just run around firing or using the suit's super strength to punch others to death. Only the assault mode is worth playing because its objective based and has humongous maps.

I hope Resistance 2 focuses on objective based game modes for the 60 player matches and restricts deathmatches to a maximum of 16-24 players.

^^ I agree with that point. I play Crysis MP occasionally and the 32 player deathmatches are simply ridiculous. Average life span per cycle is barely 6-8 seconds (and I tend to rank in the top 5-8 in every match). You simply cannot execute any strategy or bother with picking up weapons. Just run around firing or using the suit's super strength to punch others to death. Only the assault mode is worth playing because its objective based and has humongous maps.

I hope Resistance 2 focuses on objective based game modes for the 60 player matches and restricts deathmatches to a maximum of 16-24 players.

warhawk even at 32 players is superb esp when the whole map is opened up, but even then it feels a bit sparse sometimes, i hope they increase the limit in that game.

also resistance did 40p online at launch and is still one of the top played games on PSN, the 40p servers are always full

Archived