Anyway, the generation is (un)officially coming to an end when the new consoles launch by the end of the year, so thought of making this thread to go over some of the best and the worst games I've played in this generation. My gaming habit has progressively declined from the start of the generation to the end (where I hardly play for 2 hours per week now).
Anyway, here're some features of PS4 which I really liked :
1. PS4 touchpad - I was mighty impressed with it after using it in kz:shadowfall to control the drone , especially thinking of all the possible scenarios where it can be used. Sadly the feature was underutilized and ended being just a clickpad to open up in-game maps or things like that.
2. Rest mode : I was pleasantly surprised, when I found that I can literally put my PS4 to sleep and just continue my game from where I left off (without the need to boot up/start from beginning). I was abroad when I bought my ps4 and this feature was used constantly as there was never a power cut and I never had a reason to switch it off.
3. 2 free games on PS+ every month, I believe this was one of the best things that Sony did on PS4. Instead of a simple online platform, releasing some really good games every month for free. My first game - kz:shadowfall was actually a free ps+ title which i played.
4. Background downloads in low power mode - this was another awesome feature. Thanks to this, most of my purchases on PS4 gen were digital.
Not so flattering moments :
1. When my hdmi output conked off, had to replace it , cost me quite a tidy sum :-/
2. Realized that the dlc's i bought in India wouldn't work with the digital games I bought when I was abroad :-/
3. When my disc reader stopped working , glad that most of my purchases were digital.
4. Huge noise the console makes while playing some games !
Top 5 best games :
1. Bloodborne : This is my most hated (in the beginning) and then one of my most loved games on PS4. Every time a boss beat me, I felt more motivated to level up and face it again. Add to it the goth architecture , enemy variations & the superb level design, this is hands down one of the best games of this generation.
2. Horizon zero dawn: This was a pleasant surprise for me. While i was skeptical about the whole bow/arrow thingy in the beginning , I was surprised by how seamlessly it integrated into the game never feeling laggy/slow. With the variety in machines and a good plot which makes you play just to understand what was happening, this one was a real surprise package.
3. Witcher 3: Wild hunt : Don't need to say more, one of the best crafted open world rpg's with a strong story (damn, even the side quests were much better than the main quests in most games).
4. RDR 2 : While it didn't have the same comical overtone of GTA, the world R* created was mighty impressive with the near perfectionist attention to detail. One of the few games which i played for weeks (spending most of the time just wandering in the open game world), guess this is one of the swan song type games of the PS4 gen.
5. God Of War: Well hands down one of my all time best experiences in gaming. I was expecting it to be good, but it turned out to be much better than what I thought. The whole reboot was done quite well. No wonder they couldn't bring one more game, as you can see the amount of effort that has gone in creating the world.
5 Most disappointing games :
1. Infamous second son : While it started out well, found it to be quite boring midway and lost interest 3/4th of the way.
2. Uncharted 4: This was by far the most disappointing game for me. Was a huge fan of uc2, uc3 was ok. But UC 4 was the most boring of the lot , had to drag myself to finish it.
3. Doom : While the game was good until one point, it became too fast for my liking. Started to feel more like a chore than a game.
4. Fallout 4: Another boring game with bland dialogues , boring characters and uninteresting main quest. FO3 was like leagues ahead of this.
5. COD WW2: Well, I did play only one COD game this gen (WW2) - and downloaded it as part of the ps+. But damn, how the mighty has fallen. Guess the series could never rise to its prequels in the prev gen.