The Android Thread

pArth

Need more info. Which router? How did you set it up? Was that hope page handled in router? Because it will be impossible to browse using phone if we haven't signed into Reliance. It works fine on PCs/PS3.

Reliance just makes you sign into their service using a regular web page once every 24 hrs, if you don't log out yourself. There would be a LAN wire coming out from the modem which should go into your PC or into any standard issue 802.11 router.

So if you start browsing after a break or after a logout and you open any web page, the login page would open automatically and you can sign in. Works on all browsers, worked on my iPhone and iPad too. I'm don't know what PPPOE is so I can't comment on that.

Alternatively to remove the login page you can ask for a static IP. I did ask for it but they never actually put it and a couple of months later I dc'd the service anyway so did not really get after them.

Even Spectranet asks for a login page every 2-3 days, but it's never a hindrance. I'm using it comfortably with a router.

Edit: It's easier if you get a new modem-cum-router than separate modem & router as you'll need to configure the modem in bridge and the router in PPPoE (AFAIK), so more panga involved.

Edited by Kaamwali Bai

Reliance just makes you sign into their service using a regular web page once every 24 hrs, if you don't log out yourself. There would be a LAN wire coming out from the modem which should go into your PC or into any standard issue 802.11 router.

So if you start browsing after a break or after a logout and you open any web page, the login page would open automatically and you can sign in. Works on all browsers, worked on my iPhone and iPad too. I'm don't know what PPPOE is so I can't comment on that.

Alternatively to remove the login page you can ask for a static IP. I did ask for it but they never actually put it and a couple of months later I dc'd the service anyway so did not really get after them.

PPPOE is simply a way to make your dsl modem (or modem-router) remember the login credentials for your ISP and then automatically keep you logged in 24x7. I've never used reliance but am on Airtel dsl and am connected 24x7. Every modem has an option to select pppoe and then it prompts for the login details (this is in the firmware page ).

Which is the best Samsung Android phone for Navigation, GPS and features like google maps and around Rs 10'000 ??

Minimum cost Samasung Android phone which supports GPS is Galaxy Ace and it costs 13,400 on Flipkart.

http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/samsung/itmczbrrfyeaqk8e?pid=mobcv6qcf9aqu7a4&_l=2lQi85qut+HuS8vb5++VkA--&_r=q7Jz9H1AUjVhGeEcY2lqpQ--&ref=1a69ed6e-0039-4c11-8e7c-260200512a30

Oops sorry. Instead of POP, if GPS is your only requirement and can live with 2 MP cam instead of 3 MP, go for Galaxy Y. It has faster processor and latest Android compared to POP, and costs less.

http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/samsung/itmd2pz2rpcg5smz?pid=mobd2pyzfanvw444&_l=xyxzOYYnwgBlr5y39lPHFg--&_r=q7Jz9H1AUjVhGeEcY2lqpQ--&ref=d6b4f58f-40b7-467e-97f2-5f2007c6e65f

Basically, all Android phones from Samsung have GPS support.

http://www.flipkart.com/browse/mobiles/samsung?_r=q7Jz9H1AUjVhGeEcY2lqpQ--&_l=nNS%2BH1hL1jSk8CayXSgMNA--&ref=d6b4f58f-40b7-467e-97f2-5f2007c6e65f&filter=types%3AAndroid+Phones%3E%3Efeatures%3AGPS&layout=grid&sort=price_asc

Oops sorry. Instead of POP, if GPS is your only requirement and can live with 2 MP cam instead of 3 MP, go for Galaxy Y. It has faster processor and latest Android compared to POP, and costs less.

http://www.flipkart....f2-5f2007c6e65f

Basically, all Android phones from Samsung have GPS support.

http://www.flipkart....&sort=price_asc

Alright thanks bro.. :)

Also, guys using Galaxy S2, do you use Screen Guard? If yes, then which one and at what cost?

Absolutely DON'T BOTHER. The screen is gorilla glass. Mine's just as it was when I bought it. A scratchguard is totally useless for this phone.

Absolutely DON'T BOTHER. The screen is gorilla glass. Mine's just as it was when I bought it. A scratchguard is totally useless for this phone.

It is not scratch proof, there is an oleophobic on top of that glass that is prone to scratching.

I use a cheap screen guard... still looks brilliant.

It is not scratch proof, there is an oleophobic on top of that glass that is prone to scratching.

I use a cheap screen guard... still looks brilliant.

OK that made me :roflroll:

Gorilla Glass is MEANT to be scratch resistant. I would have been wrong had I said "shatter" resistant. By using a screenguard and that too a cheap one, you're simply "doing it wrong" :lol:

PPPOE is simply a way to make your dsl modem (or modem-router) remember the login credentials for your ISP and then automatically keep you logged in 24x7. I've never used reliance but am on Airtel dsl and am connected 24x7. Every modem has an option to select pppoe and then it prompts for the login details (this is in the firmware page ).

Good to know. So I guess Aortel by default works on PPPOE, like most cable wallas.

It can get scratched but is fairly resistant. Personally I'd never put any guard no matter how thin or good in quality over the screen. View the display as it was meant to be viewed.

My phone is over a year old and I can't notice any scratches even if I try to look for them. It has fallen down 6-7 times too.

Edited by achilles

Good to know. So I guess Aortel by default works on PPPOE, like most cable wallas.

Cable wallahs (I'm assuming the local type) don't work with ADSL connections generally, so it's not PPPoE. PPPoE is primarily used by all the national internal providers like Airtel, BSNL, MTNL, Reliance etc. The cable wallahs simply provide you an extension (Ethernet cable or RJ45) which work by assigning either a dynamic or a static IP.

I'm on Spectranet using a static IP and have to enter login credentials every 3 days or so. Earlier I was using In2Net which used a dynamic IP dialer authentication (which was MAC locked, so had to clone the MAC address of the laptop to the router). Again, both of them work absolutely fine with the router.

Gorilla glass is just "harder" to scratch that other glasses.

Like I said before, there's another coating on top of the gorilla glass that can get scratched easily.

Well I used my SGS1 for and then the S2 so far with the screen absolutely pristine. Maybe the S2 glass screen is better than everything else.