Team ICO Collection

playstation

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection preview

We spy the HD--and 3D!--versions of Team Ico's beloved PS2 hits in the upcoming Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection.

What we're talking about: The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Sony's upcoming love letter to fans of Team Ico's highly ambitious PS2-era hits.

Where we saw it: Sony's New York City 2010/2011 press preview, where a number of their most anticipated titles were showcased.

What you need to know:

Following the excellent--and wallet-friendly--God of War and Sly Cooper Collections, PS2 classics Ico and Shadow of the Colossus get bundled on a single Blu-ray for a similar hi-def makeover.

Serving as the perfect primer to next fall's The Last Guardian, the Ico and Shadow Collection offers longtime fans the chance to revisit two of the PS2's absolute best titles, while introducing a whole new generation to these must-experience entries.

On top of allowing gamers to add Fumito Ueda's revered title's to their PS3 libraries for a price that won't break the bank--like the Sly and GoW Collections, it will retail for $39.99--the bundle brings Trophy support, a welcome addition, especially for Colossus fans; if slaying a screen-enveloping titan isn't worthy of a trophy, I don't know what is.

If the HD makeover isn't enough to lure you back to these epic worlds, maybe the 3D integration will do it. Both titles support the eye-popping tech, an immersion-amping complement to their already ambitious scale and scope.

Unlike the Sly Collection, which added some gimmicky Move-enabled mini-games, Ico/Colossus isn't bundling any "bonus" content. Aside from the prettier graphics and Trophy support, these games--including their controls--will be just as you remember them.

Point in development cycle: The title looks well on its way to being ready for its spring 2011 release date.

My take: Due to the constantly evolving nature of the industry, few gaming experiences match our rose-colored memories of them when measured against today's horsepower-pushing standards. Ico and Shadow, however, stand up remarkably well.

I witnessed the opening moments of the nearly-decade-old Ico and was floored by its age-defying presentation. No doubt helped by the hi-def boost, textures are crisp, character models detailed, and environments postcard-perfect. While the HD certainly adds a heavy coat of polish, it's also a testament to Ueda's original vision--one that should have settled the "Can videogames be considered art?" argument years ago--that these games can still effectively sting the senses.

Even more impressive than Ico in HD, is Colossus in 3D. I've seen current-gen powerhouses such as Killzone 3 and MotorStorm Apocalypse come alive in three dimensions, but this was the first title that actually had my mind justifying the steep price of a hardware upgrade. The Sony rep providing the demo said Ueda always envisioned Colossus as a 3D game; after seeing one of the screen-stretching bosses taken down behind the slick specs, it's easy to see why. The game's built-in sense of scale and sweeping presentation seems like a perfect fit for the tech. From subtler touches, such as your horse kicking dirt back at you, to the more in-your-face cinematic encounters with the game's titular giants, Colossus could become the poster child for the fledgling technology.

source

those colossus will look spectacular in 3D.. :majesty:

Not too excited about 3d. Maybe its just me, but the demos I tried all made me uneasy / gave me a headache in a few minutes.

I haven't tried active 3D for longer than 10 min or so, but passive 3D (those in theaters) gave me terrible headaches. I watched only first half of Avatar with glasses :(

I haven't tried active 3D for longer than 10 min or so, but passive 3D (those in theaters) gave me terrible headaches. I watched only first half of Avatar with glasses :(

Then you shouldn't. I had no problem with Avatar and even movies on the 3dtv were ok. But 3d games were a whole different matter, can't even imagine playing like that for hours. Although I only tried out Sony tvs.

I think its only with passive 3D where there's no connection between goggles and screen, and if it goes out of sync it'll strain your eyes without you noticing at first. Its like reading with slightly wrong number of glasses, you can still do it but not for long.

Shadow of Colossus :) I can never forget that game, already played on my PS2 but the graphics were gud & BG themes were gr8 while fighting Colossus

The game is gr8 only if u have some patience (not to forget some Brains) I really enjoyed playing SOC, my player always used to play his horse- "AArrooww" correct me if I'm wrong it sounded like that to me

Archived