Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Karooo

I enjoyed the first two games a lot but RDR set the benchmark pretty high for western-themed games so they had to try something different this time.

I'll still buy this though.

honestly i don't know how the series survived to reach a 3rd installment in the first place. the games were always unremarkable, and that's being very kind to them.

The first one was rough around the edges but a welcome break from bald space-marine shooters. The second one however was a big improvement. Great gunplay and set pieces backed by a good story, characters and voice acting. And did I mention that both games looked very good?

meh i disagree. i think the first game was one of the first ones to use dx10, so there was a bit of hype for it but it was an average game.

the second game was supposed to be better but i don't know.... i played it recently (within the last year) and if it looked good when it released, it certainly didn't age well at all. but more importantly the gameplay was very dull. they were obviously trying to ape the call of duty style scripted, linear/setpiece gameplay but it felt a lot like cod2 more than anything else. even for the regular linear shooters we get these days like cod or bc2, the game design, scripting, ai, level design etc. has evolved from 5 years ago... evolution that seemingly missed the developers of this series. as for story, setting, voice acting, well.... in a post red dead redemption world, it seemed pretty ordinary to me.

i played it recently (within the last year) and if it looked good when it released, it certainly didn't age well at all

This again. I dont know man if you play Crysis 1 all day or GTA 4 with mods, but CoJ:BIB still looks great and better than many many titles which released recently.

Maybe you are playing on full HD and the game doesn't scale nicely, but on 720p the game looks good. Better than Dragon Age 2, Homefront and a bunch of UE 3 games like Singularity, Bioshock 2 etc etc.

I agree on the game quality part, I felt the gun play was very lose, it felt so consolized.

I guess it would be pretty unfair to measure it against RDR.

seriously? that's all you got from my post?

This again. I dont know man if you play Crysis 1 all day or GTA 4 with mods, but CoJ:BIB still looks great and better than many many titles which released recently.

Maybe you are playing on full HD and the game doesn't scale nicely, but on 720p the game looks good. Better than Dragon Age 2, Homefront and a bunch of UE 3 games like Singularity, Bioshock 2 etc etc.

looking better than dragon age 2 or homefront is nothing to brag about. and it absolutely did not look better than either singularity or bioshock. graphics are only half the story, the artstyle can carry the visuals of a game with poor graphics technically. and both bioshock and singularity have artwork that blows away anything in coj2. that comparison i made to cod2 wasn't out of thin air... i don't know if you remember this but the first part of the game has you running around in trenches partaking in utterly scripted fights. that's what reminded me of cod2. that's how bad it is.

both bioshock and singularity have artwork that blows away anything in coj2

Hmmm I agree to this. The artwork in both these games is better. Singularity is one underrated game.

seriously? that's all you got from my post?

looking better than dragon age 2 or homefront is nothing to brag about. and it absolutely did not look better than either singularity or bioshock. graphics are only half the story, the artstyle can carry the visuals of a game with poor graphics technically. and both bioshock and singularity have artwork that blows away anything in coj2. that comparison i made to cod2 wasn't out of thin air... i don't know if you remember this but the first part of the game has you running around in trenches partaking in utterly scripted fights. that's what reminded me of cod2. that's how bad it is.

That was just the first part. The game opens up later on and has multiple pathways in many of the levels. The art direction was also pretty good for the most part. It only faltered towards the end when you enter the catacombs. Besides this is the Wild West, not Rapture, there isn't a lot they can do given the setting. I agree about the scripting and AI but then it's not the only shooter to have that. I was watching my brother play Black Ops a month ago and I was baffled seeing how the game was basically playing itself... yanking the camera control from the player every 2-3 minutes and whatnot.

I'm wondering if we played the same game. Shooters that don't feature a bald space-marine or armymen are very rare these days and the first two COJs were a nice break from that.

Also, I might be wrong here but wasn't COD2 considered as one of the best WW2 shooters by many?

BTW I just read that EG review. It reads more like a 7. It seems the reviewer enjoyed playing through the game but ultimately slapped a 6 on it because it's not a blockbuster franchise.

They're a clichéd bunch in many ways, saddled with dialogue that makes cartoonish overuse of the words "mother****er" and "bitch", but over the course of the game they rise above their B-movie origins and become surprisingly compelling.

In fact, the story is one of The Cartel's greatest strengths. This is an action thriller very much in the vein of early Seagal rather than an over-the-top Grindhouse blowout, and despite the excess profanity speckling the script it manages to maintain a reasonably serious tone while blowing cars up on the freeway and indulging in running gun battles on public streets. It's hardly high art, but there's a cohesion and balance to the mayhem that fits perfectly with the sort of 1980s action movie tone that so many other games try - and fail - to create.

This is very much the sort of unfussy, old-school run-and-gun shooter that Duke Nukem Forever was supposed to be.

Archived