The Book Thread

Amay

^^

the movie has nothing to do with the book. They just slapped the name and asimov's aura to gather eyeballs. Movie is good though, but book is far better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up this Immortals of Meluha today, nifty cover. Anyone else read it ? am 5 chapters in, and while the plot seems decent, the writing is really pretty sub standard. Lots of slang and attempts to make the protagonist a "cool dude".. Not going with the setting at all, the mannerisms, the speech are kind of putting off from the epic indian mythology scale that i was looking for. And i am not even a heavy-snob know it all- reader :|

Does it get any better later ?? or is the plot worth it to go through it all ??

Yeah the plot is good.. Nice take on Indian Myths and Culture.

But I would say Nimo go read LoTR

shieet :fear:

that always reminds me somehting.. the big phat book it lying on the shelf.. mocking me :(

I have all three movies lying in HD. Very much tempted to watch them, but i'll read first. Dont want to miss anything

Wait wait - you are saying that the I, robot movie is crap ??!! - I for one enjoyed the movie. I have not read the book - I guess this means I have to read this one as well.

I enjoyed the Foundation series a lot. A lot.

Any other good scifi recommendations ? - I seem to have read only Asimov and a bit of Heinlein.

Arthur C Clarke

Larry Niven

Bradbury

PKD

With SF I would strongly recommend picking up compilations because the best part of SF is the short stories. Also, finish Asimov first before reading anything else.

Arthur C Clarke

Larry Niven

Bradbury

PKD

With SF I would strongly recommend picking up compilations because the best part of SF is the short stories. Also, finish Asimov first before reading anything else.

I liked Michael Crichton and Peter Watts (Crysis 2 fame) as well. And yeah, I read I Robot after watching the movie and had to recheck couple of times to see if it was the correct book. There's practically no connection between the book and the movie.

+1

I just finished the Science Fiction Hall Of Fame Vol 1 (this one), great read. Didn't enjoy the similar collection of novellas as much though.

Wait wait - you are saying that the I, robot movie is crap ??!! - I for one enjoyed the movie. I have not read the book - I guess this means I have to read this one as well.

I enjoyed the Foundation series a lot. A lot.

Any other good scifi recommendations ? - I seem to have read only Asimov and a bit of Heinlein.

Other than the ones Bulo recommended..

Neal Stephenson

China Mievelle - Although not strictly sci-fi.. he writes fantasy, weird fantasy, steampunk, alternate universes etc. If you loved Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman etc. then go with him.

Octavia Butler - Esp. Kindred. Little magic realism here. Other books are classic science fiction.

Larry Niven's Ringword series.

ERAGON LOVERS REJOICE!!!!!

inheritancecover-newspost.jpg

Random House and Christopher Paolini have officially announced the title, cover, and release date for the fourth and final installment in the Inheritance Cycle! Inheritance, Book 4 of the Inheritance Cycle, will officially release on November 8th, 2011 in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. The book's first print run will total an astonishing 2.5 million copies. Additional foreign release dates are to be announced by their respective publisher.

[sOURCE]

Edited by The Joker

Eragon is absolute sh*t. It's the same level as Twilight. Both took something awesome and defiled it to the worst possible level to make the genres more 'accessible'.

Inheritance lifts straight from Lord of the Rings - many fantasy books take a lot of concepts, but the way Inheritance does it is shameful.

oooh oooh ooh - one more scifi - William Gibson. Neuromancer :wub:

I need to check out this china mievelle.

Eragon is absolute sh*t. It's the same level as Twilight. Both took something awesome and defiled it to the worst possible level to make the genres more 'accessible'.

Inheritance lifts straight from Lord of the Rings - many fantasy books take a lot of concepts, but the way Inheritance does it is shameful.

oooh oooh ooh - one more scifi - William Gibson. Neuromancer :wub:

I need to check out this china mievelle.

Anything and Everything is from LotR.

But Inheritance has different plot...

LOTR has no Dragons(except Ringwraiths)... At least ones with sense