[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

On 2/1/2018 at 12:34 AM, avanildutta said:

My link from a different forum. Since IVG was down for few days..

http://www.erodov.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88771

PS: don't know if sharing a link of other forum is allowed or not here..

Any help is very much appreciated.. thx.

Hey, links are appreciated (unless for promo). Although I think this is the wrong sub-forum to ask for this. The TV and movie thread might be more appropriate.

• Like 1

Hey, links are appreciated (unless for promo). Although I think this is the wrong sub-forum to ask for this. The TV and movie thread might be more appropriate.

How is Aero 15 laptop compared to Aero 14? I want smaller the better, Lighter the better, Thinner and good battery life. Atleast 7hours. Gpu also I am getting GTX 1060. Only issue is TB3. Aero 14 doesn't have one except with 1050Ti. But I want 1060 or up. Which one should I get? And what is the approx price in India? It has 2 years global warranty.

7 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

Which one you looking at? I can ask around.

I have used their monitors. Dependable stuff.

EB1 Series 

8rsr2rr.png

I'm looking for a bigger screen with standard requirements. 

Second, what's your thoughts on ultrawide monitors? 29UM69G-B for example. 

17 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

EB1 Series 

I'm looking for a bigger screen with standard requirements. 

Second, what's your thoughts on ultrawide monitors? 29UM69G-B for example. 

What are you going to use these monitors for? 

The EB series looks decent but lower G-2-G times (not something that should bother) but I cannot find the refresh rate on them. Look to purchase something that is at least 60Hz+. 

The latter LG model that you have linked looks good but then it is a lower size and worse colour quality (6-bit panel vis-à-vis the claimed 10-bit panel on the Acer units). Higher refresh rate though. 

46 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

What are you going to use these monitors for? 

For media/work usage. Not looking for game purpose, so in dilemma what to pick. 

As long it is 60Hz and has good picture quality it's enough. 

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

For media/work usage.

As long it is 60Hz and has good picture quality it's enough. 

In that case, go for a proper 10-bit panel. Look up offerings from ASUS and BenQ as well. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a 20Mbps asymmetric connection. Netflix and Prime both do 4K HDR without buffering or any delay whatsoever. Netflix reaches 15.56Mbps @ 4K with HDR or no HDR, I guess ISP is using peering. However, Hotstar struggles to run even if settings is set to auto  it buffers a lot tried downloading the content through Hotstar download option even that is slow. I using Google DNS. Any suggestions?

Just now, ALPHA17 said:

^ Are Google and OpenDNS not good enough? 

Wrote email to hotstar regarding my buffering issues. Did the speedtest and got reply that I am using Google DNS which is located in Singapore and suggested I use one within India. 

I found the fastest DNS servers located in India and posting it here 
Tikona comm. 203.90.66.79
Pacenet comm. 203.115.81.38
I'll post again after testing if my Hotstar buffering problem is solved or not.
Thanks for the info but If they are open and secured then for sure will use this. Please confirm if it is secured.

2 hours ago, djanuj said:
12 hours ago, HEMAN said:
I found the fastest DNS servers located in India and posting it here 
Tikona comm. 203.90.66.79
Pacenet comm. 203.115.81.38
I'll post again after testing if my Hotstar buffering problem is solved or not.

Thanks for the info but If they are open and secured then for sure will use this. Please confirm if it is secured.

The pacenet comm. is not secure Tikona one is secure and open. @ALPHA17

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got some time to take a look and setup Steam Link that I purchased long back.
Mainly I was looking for a way to use my desktop computer to mirror on TV and use it with wireless mouse and keyboard.

Below is what I did for setup and some questions as well. If anyone else also uses this device, please share thoughts on your setup and how you use it majorly.

Did the below in my desktop while connected to a monitor

(1) installed Steam and added it to windows startup.
(2) Connected PS4 joystick and setup the steam link to be connected to same wifi network.
(3) moved just my CPU to living room and connected wireless keyboard to it. Connected to router via LAN

So, Just wanted to know if anyone using it without connecting CPU to monitor and doing something to initiate connection manually?

Also I'm having to wake up steam link for the first time using connected input device and select connection to my PC from the list and only then I can start seeing screen. Can this be defaulted somehow?

Also I see some options are not clickable with mouse connected to steam link. If I connect the mouse to PC it works fine. May be it is designed to behave well only with Steam client and big picture more?

Last observation was when ever we get UAC popup, screen mirror is lost. Then I have to click left and enter to accept the imaginary UAC popup and reconnect.

Thanks in advance