Batman: Arkham Origins

cat

^ Arkham City was pretty much that.

Arkham City was a small section of Gotham. If you play the game again you'll realize it's actually quite small. A real open world would mean driving the Batmobile around Gotham or flying above it in the Batwing.

I personally prefer the metroidvania of Arkham Asylum. It felt more focussed.

^^ Exactly. I went in for Arkham City with high expectations, but the game world disappointed me. Too much Riddler stuff in your face on every rooftop, short main story, unimpressive boss fights and they failed to adequately rectify the main gripe with original game on detective vision. I liked AA much more than AC.

Arkham City was a small section of Gotham. If you play the game again you'll realize it's actually quite small. A real open world would mean driving the Batmobile around Gotham or flying above it in the Batwing.

If the above happens, it will be my GOTY FOR SURE.

I personally prefer the metroidvania of Arkham Asylum. It felt more focussed.

Technically, yes, but isn't it obvious that their intention was to create a Gotham City-like open world fused with the feel and atmosphere of Arkham Asylum? (whether they succeeded is another issue) I think a true Gotham City game (something like GTA?) would just be really boring compared to AC. AC was small but dense, full of villains and thugs - so you could sweep down and have a fight any time you wanted, full of important Batman landmarks, already jam packed with stuff everywhere you turn.

Gliding with the cape and bat claw was fast enough to get you anywhere in a matter of seconds - the batmobile in comparison would just seem clunky.

I guess they could create a full city game, but I don't see what they can put in it to improve it all that much. The only advantage would be flying in the Batwing.

^ I have no idea what you're talking about. AA had large combat rooms. Large enough for batman to show his "true potential" as you put it. Batman AC had both large rooms and open areas. There was no 'corridor' fighting in either game. The rooms in both games were designed very well to fit in with the combat system and never felt restrictive.

Makes no sense to expand the areas even further since Batman focuses on close quarters combat. Even if they do, they'll have to figure out some way to get you from one end to the other without breaking the flow. They'll need to change the design to adapt with the larger areas - if they can do that, then fine. But larger areas for the sake of it will just break the game.

It is obvious that series is going towards open world. AC was the step in that direction. If you think an open world Batman game would fail, just play Lego Batman 2. One of the best Batman games EVER.

Yea they probably will..

Oh well. Trust in Rocksteady. :)

Yeah I thought AC wasn't as good as AA. It was still a good game but AA had better story, progression and a sense of, er.. how should I put it, comic-ness to it which AC was missing. The only thing I found better was The Cat. Oooo the Cat.

Archived