Inception discussion thread

achilles

so..the ending..real or dream?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yep..i think this deserved it's own thread, atleast for a while. later it can be merged with the movie thread. or not.

1. first things first. fill in the poll.

i felt that the spinner was kinda dwindling at the end. so maybe it cuda been real. mind you, it all coulda gone super over my head. i hope it didn't. but i could be wayy off here.

2. please fill me in guys..i missed a bit of the start and the part immediately after the interval. at the start, i caught the movie from when Cobb is talking to Saito and telling him to open up completely so he could protect him. and in the interval i caught on when Saito is shot and everyone i shouting and Cobb tells them death won't be an escape.

3. if it was a dream in the end, did he create his own dream?

4. when Mal shot Fischer, how did they really go a level deeper? how could Mal be holding fischer in that deeper level? i kinda missed this. Also, Saito died on level 3. Why would his limbo be that deeper level?

5. Cobb and Mal grow old together in Limbo. Yet, when Cobb pulls them onto the track to wake up, they are young. ??

so fire away..your comments, how Nolan is the be all and end all in movie making and how the movie is awesome in so many ways.

Also..i kinda guessed way early about Mal being his first inception. :batman:

This thread deserves its existance.

1. first things first. fill in the poll.

i felt that the spinner was kinda dwindling at the end. so maybe it cuda been real. mind you, it all coulda gone super over my head. i hope it didn't. but i could be wayy off here.

For me, It was real and no dream...

Right when the movie was gonna end on the spinning totem, it got a topple-hick and BLANK!

Nolan definitely tried to show us the middle finger here! But, its safe to say that it was real and totem would/might have taken a topple!

2. please fill me in guys..i missed a bit of the start and the part immediately after the interval. at the start, i caught the movie from when Cobb is talking to Saito and telling him to open up completely so he could protect him. and in the interval i caught on when Saito is shot and everyone i shouting and Cobb tells them death won't be an escape.

The movie opens with Cobb lying flat half-conscious on a beach, a man with a gun approaches him, checks him out, sees his 9mm and takes him to his boss... Yes, the old Saito! (its the same scene which yu saw when Cobb went to rescue Saito from limbo and hence the opening sequence)

3. if it was a dream in the end, did he create his own dream?

I dont think it was his dream in the end. But if it was, then he was very capable of doing it as seen from his limbo architecture.

4. when Mal shot Fischer, how did they really go a level deeper? how could Mal be holding fischer in that deeper level? i kinda missed this. Also, Saito died on level 3. Why would his limbo be that deeper level?

When Mal shot Fischer, they didn't go a level deeper. Mal took Fischer to the limbo with her. Remember if yu die in Inception, instead of waking up yu go to the limbo because of they heavy sedatives which wont let yu wake up. so Fischer and Saito went to Cobb's limbo (as they were sharing dreams and Cobb was the only one been to limbo before) after dying..

5. Cobb and Mal grow old together in Limbo. Yet, when Cobb pulls them onto the track to wake up, they are young. ??

Now this is a thinker. Remember (When in the end Cobb and Ariadne went after Mal in limbo to find Fischer) Cobb told Ariadne that he needs to improvise.. Now, maybe he was lying/improvising to get Mal's projections out of his mind. But i don't think so because Mal's projection is Cobb's sub-conscious and Mal would have known that Cobb was lying.

Instead, When Cobb and Mal actually woke out of limbo, Cobb said,"It was like putting old souls in young bodies!"

So them showing Cobb and Mal as young and not old on rail-tracks is because we would have got the plot about Cobb and Mal being in limbo together for more than 50years which needed to be unfolded in the end!!

This thread deserves its existance.

For me, It was real and no dream...

Right when the movie was gonna end on the spinning totem, it got a topple-hick and BLANK!

Nolan definitely tried to show us the middle finger here! But, its safe to say that it was real and totem would/might have taken a topple!

Yep. I think so too.

The movie opens with Cobb lying flat half-conscious on a beach, a man with a gun approaches him, checks him out, sees his 9mm and takes him to his boss... Yes, the old Saito! (its the same scene which yu saw when Cobb went to rescue Saito from limbo and hence the opening sequence)

Thanks. And the interval scene?

I dont think it was his dream in the end. But if it was, then he was very capable of doing it as seen from his limbo architecture.

But that was all building the world around him yno, there weren't any people around..if he really wanted to be in that dream, he cud stayed with his wife in Limbo. How would he project all these people, including his family? Or maybe he knew he could do that and dreamt up all of the movie :O

When Mal shot Fischer, they didn't go a level deeper. Mal took Fischer to the limbo with her. Remember if yu die in Inception, instead of waking up yu go to the limbo because of they heavy sedatives which wont let yu wake up. so Fischer and Saito went to Cobb's limbo (as they were sharing dreams and Cobb was the only one been to limbo before) after dying..

But when Cobb wasn't in the limbo anymore, why wont they enter into their own limbos? It's their dreams and their minds. And they were not in Cobb's dreams anyway. Mm..

Maybe it's coz they were in Fischer's dreams and when Fischer went to his limbo, they all followed. And Fischer's limbo was controlled by Mal.

Still..how did Cobb and Ariadne just..enter limbo? I guess they went after Fischer's limbo..coz she tells Cobb to go after Fischer. But the limbo has to be a level deeper as they have a lot more time over there.

Now this is a thinker. Remember (When in the end Cobb and Ariadne went after Mal in limbo to find Fischer) Cobb told Ariadne that he needs to improvise.. Now, maybe he was lying/improvising to get Mal's projections out of his mind. But i don't think so because Mal's projection is Cobb's sub-conscious and Mal would have known that Cobb was lying.

Instead, When Cobb and Mal actually woke out of limbo, Cobb said,"It was like putting old souls in young bodies!"

So them showing Cobb and Mal as young and not old on rail-tracks is because we would have got the plot about Cobb and Mal being in limbo together for more than 50years which needed to be unfolded in the end!!

Well..Cobb told Ariadne about the 50 years thingy much before the end.

Also..it is made quite clear that you have no control over getting out of the limbo. Cobb may have been the only one who could do it, but it's not made explicitly clear.. And maybe that is how he was able to get Saito back too.

But how did Cobb & Mal get back to reality after dying on that rail track? They were in Limbo (God that word is coming up too much :P ) and more importantly, how did Ariadne get out of Limbo by dying?

And I dunno about the poll, I've created it for the first time. Try again.

Thanks. And the interval scene?

I don't think you missed anything significant. I think it was just a chase scene between the Cobb's entourage and Fischer's sub-conscious security which they weren't prepared for...

But that was all building the world around him yno, there weren't any people around..if he really wanted to be in that dream, he cud stayed with his wife in Limbo. How would he project all these people, including his family? Or maybe he knew he could do that and dreamt up all of the movie :O

Maybe he dreamt up all of the movie. But, i fail to agree since I'm happy with the ending I perceived! :P

But when Cobb wasn't in the limbo anymore, why wont they enter into their own limbos? It's their dreams and their minds. And they were not in Cobb's dreams anyway. Mm..

Maybe it's coz they were in Fischer's dreams and when Fischer went to his limbo, they all followed. And Fischer's limbo was controlled by Mal.

Still..how did Cobb and Ariadne just..enter limbo? I guess they went after Fischer's limbo..coz she tells Cobb to go after Fischer. But the limbo has to be a level deeper as they have a lot more time over there.

I think thats what yu missed during the interval... It was discovered that Saito (who got shot) cant be killed there and woken up in the real world as they were under heavy sedatives and that would lead the dead person in dream to a limbo... Now, if people are sharing a dream and one happens to die and take a limbo trip, he/she would end up in a limbo which is already been experienced by a dream-sharer (in this case, Cobb).. Otherwise, a fresh limbo for you...

Also, Cobb and Ariadne went to the same limbo as Cobb remembers his limbo and can easily go there...

Well..Cobb told Ariadne about the 50 years thingy much before the end.

Exactly... Therefore, they showed Cobb and Mal as young on rail-tracks to keep it a suspense..

Also..it is made quite clear that you have no control over getting out of the limbo. Cobb may have been the only one who could do it, but it's not made explicitly clear.. And maybe that is how he was able to get Saito back too.

But how did Cobb & Mal get back to reality after dying on that rail track? They were in Limbo (God that word is coming up too much :P ) and more importantly, how did Ariadne get out of Limbo by dying?

And I dunno about the poll, I've created it for the first time. Try again.

Hmmm.. I think its a fact about believing in yurslef to get out of the limbo... Cobb made Mal "believe" that they'll be together when they wake up once the train hits them... But, Mal lost it as she thought even the real world is a dream.

Ariadne and Fischer came out of the limbo too... hmmmm.. maybe because of the Super-kick that they got from jumping outta that buliding.?!. :unsure:

What about the layers? Were all layers Fischers dreams or split between team members?

And whatever we were seeing, wasn't it Fischers subconscious? Cobb just manipulated it in such a way to turn it against fischer.

When they come out of their dreams, won't they remember each others faces? Like Saito remembered Cobbs face and so on?

Won't Fischer know that the people around in the plane had played a trick on him?

I get the point that they were digging deeper into Fischer's subconscious in such a way that he thinks exactly what he wanted to think? No? A architect can only make the levels so that their is no loophole or way of figuring a "way-out" but they can't 'fake' the safe scene.

The safe scene in the end, wasn't it meant to be whatever Fischer wanted to imagine himself? It was an idea that Cobb created and implemented it into Fischers mind.

Also we are meant to think that Fischer is trained to fight such scenario's subconsciously but Ariadne soon says after the train sequence that it was all Cobb's subconscious when she states "we have got to warn them what you got them into, any moment a train might break into here". Again, remember, if it was Yusufs dream then isn't he the dreamer, wasn't it stated that the subconscious only attacks the dreamer? So why was everyone attacked in each levels?

Level 1 - The train bashes into Cobb, Adriane.

Level 2 - Now look at this, Arthur is the dreamer in this sequence and he gets attacked as its evident from the hall way scenes.

Level 3 - Fischers dream. But its a 'dual-dream' kind of situation where Fischer is not aware that its his dream. His subconscious is still going ape sh*t on everyone around him or is it?

Level 4 - Its an open space that can be manipulated by anyone who has been there. Cobb trapped his wife in there and the other sequence takes place.

The totem not tipping over is only tip of the iceberg. Since Nolan challenges time in multiple levels, aging is not an issue which leads us to believe that this whole movie has multiple levels of crap that we need to wake up from before we can actually completely understand wtf just happened.

i dont know about u guys but this whole movie was a dream it wasnt real. How??

in the end the spinner doesnt fall so whose dream was it..... it was of his dad who teached Cobb how to do this dream deception thing

because his dad was the initial teacher of him so cobb was in his dads dream and his dad filled with his sub concious which later on lead to each and every character which was out there

nolan did a fine job by making the spinner as its ending pt which makes this more confusing for the ppl who were watching

i dont get it. what interpretation u guys talkin about? what was 'left' for interpretation?

nolan never leaves anything for interpretation. You guys are confusing his kinda movies with other movies with tangentially similar themes.

i dont get it. what interpretation u guys talkin about? what was 'left' for interpretation?

nolan never leaves anything for interpretation. You guys are confusing his kinda movies with other movies with tangentially similar themes.

This time he did... If, he did not then:

1. Either the totem in the end would have taken a complete topple,

2. Or it would have kept spinning, without a hitch just before the movie ends...

What about the layers? Were all layers Fischers dreams or split between team members?

And whatever we were seeing, wasn't it Fischers subconscious? Cobb just manipulated it in such a way to turn it against fischer.

When they come out of their dreams, won't they remember each others faces? Like Saito remembered Cobbs face and so on?

Won't Fischer know that the people around in the plane had played a trick on him?

I get the point that they were digging deeper into Fischer's subconscious in such a way that he thinks exactly what he wanted to think? No? A architect can only make the levels so that their is no loophole or way of figuring a "way-out" but they can't 'fake' the safe scene.

The safe scene in the end, wasn't it meant to be whatever Fischer wanted to imagine himself? It was an idea that Cobb created and implemented it into Fischers mind.

Also we are meant to think that Fischer is trained to fight such scenario's subconsciously but Ariadne soon says after the train sequence that it was all Cobb's subconscious when she states "we have got to warn them what you got them into, any moment a train might break into here". Again, remember, if it was Yusufs dream then isn't he the dreamer, wasn't it stated that the subconscious only attacks the dreamer? So why was everyone attacked in each levels?

Level 1 - The train bashes into Cobb, Adriane.

Level 2 - Now look at this, Arthur is the dreamer in this sequence and he gets attacked as its evident from the hall way scenes.

Level 3 - Fischers dream. But its a 'dual-dream' kind of situation where Fischer is not aware that its his dream. His subconscious is still going ape sh*t on everyone around him or is it?

Level 4 - Its an open space that can be manipulated by anyone who has been there. Cobb trapped his wife in there and the other sequence takes place.

The totem not tipping over is only tip of the iceberg. Since Nolan challenges time in multiple levels, aging is not an issue which leads us to believe that this whole movie has multiple levels of crap that we need to wake up from before we can actually completely understand wtf just happened.

Ok, now from what i understood in this movie... There's an architect and a dreamer. The architect just passes on the layout/architecture of the dream to the dreamer who fills it up with his own subconscious. The subconscious during their inception mission was of all people who were sharing the dream and not solely of the dreamer (yusuf in layer 1)... Now in level 1, it was Fischer's trained subconscious for extraction denial that was getting the team attacked by 'military precision' attackers. Fisher was a part the their dream-sharing till level 3. In level 3, It was Fischer who was the real dreamer and hence an army of attackers after them.

When Ariadne said after the train sequence that, "we have got to warn them what you got them into, any moment a train might break into here", she meant about the dangers regarding Cobb's wife Mal, 'train issues', etc (basically all his trapped memories) who other's didn't know about as Cobb used keep a prison of memories which he deliberately used to dream... Remember when Cobb was training Ariadne about inception dreaming he said, "Never use your exact memories but always be innovative and create new places by improvising." This is the sole job of an architect which Cobb couldn't do anymore because of his unwillingness to let go of his past memories and hence the need of Ariadne.

i dont know about u guys but this whole movie was a dream it wasnt real. How??

in the end the spinner doesnt fall so whose dream was it..... it was of his dad who teached Cobb how to do this dream deception thing

because his dad was the initial teacher of him so cobb was in his dads dream and his dad filled with his sub concious which later on lead to each and every character which was out there

nolan did a fine job by making the spinner as its ending pt which makes this more confusing for the ppl who were watching

Woah.. His dad's dream..?.. Never thought that...

Personally, i still think...No! The reason being that Cobb used to spin his totem in the supposedly 'real' world and it did use to topple over, which meant he aint in a dream world..

But on the flipside, the totem wasnt his.. It was Mal's! It might as well be possible that whenever Cobb used to think that he is in the 'real' world but to check spins the totem, the totem used to topple because of his sub-conscious telling him that its the 'real' world.. So, it was Cobb's sub-conscious toppling the totem. Cobb never spun the totem in a 'real' dream... We all know that Cobb has been to limbo for a f**ckin' long time and its easily possible that he has lost track of everything including reality.

Now, if we say that totem doesn't topple in the end and keeps spinning, then when Cobb spun the totem, he lost track of the totem (kids) and hence his sub-conscious lost the track of the totem and the totem kept spinning. Therefore, he'd still not left the dream world!

The movie f**ked up my brain! :panic:

watched the movie in imax

one question

am i in a dream?

:unsure:

the last layer where Aridane and dead Fischer go to is not Limbo but the 4th Level.

After the superkick ..the table where Saito and Cobb meet is Limbo

Every one is trying to act smart and remove their own complex interpretation when none is necessary..the movie is quite straight forward.

the last layer where Aridane and dead Fischer go to is not Limbo but the 4th Level.

After the superkick ..the table where Saito and Cobb meet is Limbo

Every one is trying to act smart and remove their own complex interpretation when none is necessary..the movie is quite straight forward.

4th level is a limbo... yu go to a limbo when yu die.. Fischer died and went to a limbo... the limbo is Cobb's limbo as he was the only one with past limbo experience. <This has been said in the movie when Cobb said to the forger that he can't kill saito to wake him up and after that Arthur confronted Cobb>

So, anyone one dieing during inception would go to Cobb's limbo as he was a dream-sharer.. Cobb and Ariadne woke up on the beach too.. limbo! Which Cobb and Mal built together and lived for decades... Cobb showed his homes in limbo where he had lived with Mal during their limbo experience together!!

And, Cobb never took that super-kick... only Ariadne and Fischer took it to go back to the 3rd level!

EDIT: umm dude if yu think this is a straight forward movie, then which movie is a complex movie for yu? (Other than The Matrix that is) :)

Maybe coz of the special drugs. They obviously didn't want Fischer to remember anything..or they wuda failed.

Archived