Shadow of the Colossus Remake

Big Boss

So I figured it out, after getting a clue from a fellow sufferer on the internet.

Spoiler

If you remember the 14 battle, when the pillar falls, I was trying to jump back onto the falling pillar. This caused the game to crash every single time. A very weird, and stupid bug. 

Anyway, once this part was over, I wanted to see the end yesterday itself, and it took me quite some time. Finding 15 was a task, and solving 16 took me like two hours. But once I did that, boy. What a feeling.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There's not many games that can make me feel attached, or involved. I was immersed in this one. 

I can now confidently say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is the first time I've played this game in its entirety. Which was shocking for me. In my mind, I'd finished this game when I'd played it for the first time on the PS2, which, coincidently, I only bought because the seller told me this would be similar to God Of War. (He possibly looked at the cover art and thought, hmm, small guy fighting big giant -> GOW!). I may have only played till Colossi 4 or 5, if that. Imagine how goddamn lucky I am. 

So most of game was new to me. What a time, and what a way to have played it in. One, who I am today enabled me to appreciate this game at a much deeper level, a much finer level. I was a child when I played it on the PS2. Two, I played this with an awesome HT set up with a giant screen. The effects, the sound, the feeling that a Colossus's entrance invoked every single goddamn time was incredible. Those goosebump-y instances made me forget the various problems with the game, the biggest of which was the camera. 

If you want, you can run through the game, hunting one Colossus after the other, but, relax a bit, and take your time in this world. It has so much more to offer, and there are so many little details added that it feels rewarding just to be in that "cursed land". For eg: while in a large body of water, if you keep the direction stick pressed to a single direction, Wander swims faster. I only discovered this while trying to reach 15. (I got lost). 

If you go back to where you'd fallen the Colossi, you'd see their tattered remains fully absorbed, owned by nature. There'd be plants, algae etc. growing over them, using whatever nutrients it could find in their remains. 

If you've used your bow and hit any exposed part of the Colossi, those arrows remain stuck to their bodies, even after they've fallen. 

There's really no (mammalian) life on the island. So, it could aptly be described as desolate. This emptiness, loneliness makes this game so, so precious. It makes you want to savour everything. And it makes it all the more impactful when you fall the Colossi. It's like whatever little life is there, you're taking away, ironically, to get another life back. 

Spoiler

And then, right before 16, Agro falls away. That literally, literally made me shout "NO". And I just stood there, controller in hand, feeling sad, angry, insolent, and pitiful at the same time. This moment made me realise how much I valued this game. 

Highlights: 

The game looks jaw-dropping gorgeous. I don't think I've have not taken as many screenshots in any other game. Ever. 

The soundtrack. No more words necessary. 

Sense of scale. Colossus 15 will remove all doubts, if you had any

The island itself

Favourite Colossus: Colossus 13

Favourite puzzle: Colossus 16

Most irritating: Colossus 11

Favourite moment: after everything you realise that this was created 15 years ago. Just... wow.

Problems: 

Camera

Colossus 14 bug

Thank you Japan Studio. Thank you Bluepoint Games. Thank you Sony. 

(More than f**king worth it) / 10. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Performance vs graphics mode? Which one is preferable? Playing as performance just like others but don't wanna know after playing that I should have played the other one like in GOW performance mode.

Performance is something like 1080@60fps(maybe 1440p), Graphics is 4K@30...so definitely performance mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Performance vs graphics mode? Which one is preferable? Playing as performance just like others but don't wanna know after playing that I should have played the other one like in GOW performance mode.

https://www.backwards-compatible.com/games/shadow-of-the-colossus/

• Like 1