[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

^ Click on Shrink Volume. Then the rest of the space would open up. 

Would it matter if I add another 8gb ram by Corsair? Or should I change my ram too? Would it make a difference and give me good gaming experience?

Alright, I need some help, suddenly 2-3 days back one of my SSD's stopped showing when I opened my computer/My PC.

I allocated the SSD as E, and under Disk management I see it there, but with 20MB free space, Even in BIOS, the SSD shows open space of 20MB.

19 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

Goes good but why are you buying a 7700k

Beloved wife approved to extend the budget so thought of going the Intel path and overclock it. But, I am still waiting for coffee lake which is due to be launched tomorrow. Will be checking the price tag and performance and then decide.

I am still locked at Ryzen 7 1700 though but gonna put in 1080 Ti now.

This is what I have planned for now: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wKTkM8 . Thinking of putting 3200 G.Skill RAM.

What do you think?

Will see where coffee lake is placed in terms of price point and finalize. Hopefully, by next month I will have my build ready :)

Edited by Django_3101

4 hours ago, Django_3101 said:

Beloved wife approved to extend the budget so thought of going the Intel path and overclock it. But, I am still waiting for coffee lake which is due to be launched tomorrow. Will be checking the price tag and performance and then decide.

Just wait for Coffee Lake to be out then. For your requirements, I would consider a Ryzen R5 1600 the best value for money. You can go for a good quality B350 series board and overclock the chip to ~3.8GHz (for daily use), maintain better thermals than most Intel offerings and not feed stupid voltages to the chip. 

Just wait for Coffee Lake to be out then. For your requirements, I would consider a Ryzen R5 1600 the best value for money. You can go for a good quality B350 series board and overclock the chip to ~3.8GHz (for daily use), maintain better thermals than most Intel offerings and not feed stupid voltages to the chip. 

I have made partition. Exactly 50% because that's what was available to shrink. And now transferring all games to that new partition.

39 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

I would consider a Ryzen R5 1600 the best value for money

Even for future proofing, would you suggest R5 1600? How many years can 1600 serve me without bottlenecking 1080Ti?

I was looking 7700k as it has higher base clock even without OC-ing it.

Even for future proofing, would you suggest R5 1600? How many years can 1600 serve me without bottlenecking 1080Ti?

I guess listen to Alpha. I too recently bought a 7700k build. However later on I found that the 7700k chip not able to sustain overclock limits as advertised. The only issue is that the time when alpha suggested me to go for other build I had already ordered the parts for assembly by my computer engineer. It's better to buy 6700k if you want to overclock. Or ryzen build. He knows his stuff.

44 minutes ago, Django_3101 said:

there is no "future proof"

in like 5 years your cpu will become obsolete.

Just now, PhantomShade said:

5 years is good enough "future proof" for me :)

Lets see what coffee lake brings on the table else, I will replace 1700 with 1600.

@Alpha: Is 1600 enough or should I bother looking at 1600X as well?

3 hours ago, Django_3101 said:

Yeah! It is a zippy little chip, does not have the thermal issues plaguing current Intel chips. And 9 /10 unless you get a dud, a 3.8GHz overclock is guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Django_3101 said:

5 years is good enough "future proof" for me :)

Lets see what coffee lake brings on the table else, I will replace 1700 with 1600.

@Alpha: Is 1600 enough or should I bother looking at 1600X as well?

1600 is good enough, the 1600X has just got a higher boost clock out of the box. If you overclock both chips you are anyway going to be running them at similar peaks. 

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Depends on where consoles go. Currently, I do not see any current generation Core i7 and Ryzen chips falling out of favour unless, 

1. Consoles get better CPU's 
  2. IPC starts scaling disproportionately thanks to competition. 
  • Like 1

Depends on where consoles go. Currently, I do not see any current generation Core i7 and Ryzen chips falling out of favour unless, 

1. Consoles get better CPU's 
  2. IPC starts scaling disproportionately thanks to competition. 
Hi alpha. I have Z270x Gaming 5 Motherboard which has ALC1220 Realtek chip and Sound Blaster MB5 Chip too. Now I cannot activate DTS Dolby Digital on my PC. How can I do that? I saw various techpowerup threads to modify Realtek drivers but I am not able to do that. Please help and let me know how can I use my Turtle Beach Elite 800 Headset with this?

Btw ALC1220 supports DTS Dolby Digital Live.

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

i7-2600K says hi. 6 years and still amazing. 

Sandy Bridge was a revolutionary piece of work. It overclocks well and still retains a lot of its performance, cannot say the same about current Intel chips which are straight up Prescott level problem children. 

On 22/08/2017 at 9:52 PM, djanuj said:

Hi alpha. I have Z270x Gaming 5 Motherboard which has ALC1220 Realtek chip and Sound Blaster MB5 Chip too. Now I cannot activate DTS Dolby Digital on my PC. How can I do that? I saw various techpowerup threads to modify Realtek drivers but I am not able to do that. Please help and let me know how can I use my Turtle Beach Elite 800 Headset with this?

Btw ALC1220 supports DTS Dolby Digital Live.

What are you facing the issue with? Which step fails for you?

Edited by ALPHA17