Gaming PCs

AtheK

yes this is the with the stock cooler and the pc was running from morning like i was downloading games and all and played for while too(but not at the time when real temp was running)

Keep Real Temp on, all the time, even while gaming. It will give a better idea of operational peak temperatures.

Even then from what I can see the temperatures are good. Is there an A/C in the room?

I have these and I am looking for a upgrade in december , hoping for rupee to calm down by then.PSU andd HDD and rest other small things i am looking to keep.SO i want to ask , how much these will sell for and what is the next best upgrade for me?

Depending on how well you have maintained the system, you can expect a third of the price of all your components. Except the RAM, you can mark it a little higher due to the volatility of the same in the market.

About the system, it is best if you hold onto the GTX580 for now and snap up a Haswell Core i7 package (we can discuss modalities then). The Cooler Master 690 is a good cabinet, maybe you can add a couple of fans to improve the airflow.

How old is the TAGAN SMPS, any warranty on it? Willing to ship or no? 80+ efficiency certification, if yes of what standards? At best ~3000/- -->4000/- is the best you will get for the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17

Keep Real Temp on, all the time, even while gaming. It will give a better idea of operational peak temperatures.

Even then from what I can see the temperatures are good. Is there an A/C in the room?

oh ok cool will keep that in mind thnx ....and yes there is a ac in the room but jab real temp chalaya hua tha tab it was off ...

oh ok cool will keep that in mind thnx ....and yes there is a ac in the room but jab real temp chalaya hua tha tab it was off ...

Okay, in that case, take temperatures for the whole day with A/C off and another day sampler with the A/C on. That should give us the best and worst that is possible with stock in Delhi's case at-least.

Depending on how well you have maintained the system, you can expect a third of the price of all your components. Except the RAM, you can mark it a little higher due to the volatility of the same in the market.

About the system, it is best if you hold onto the GTX580 for now and snap up a Haswell Core i7 package (we can discuss modalities then). The Cooler Master 690 is a good cabinet, maybe you can add a couple of fans to improve the airflow.

How old is the TAGAN SMPS, any warranty on it? Willing to ship or no? 80+ efficiency certification, if yes of what standards? At best ~3000/- -->4000/- is the best you will get for the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

My system is preety well maintained, it is four years old now , with some components being new ( which you can guess).

There is no warranty on tagan SMPS , i swapped it for corsair when i got gtx 580 ( 1 to 1.5 years back), currently it is being used by my friend in his system(fx 6100,6950,8gb ram).

Willing to sell it for less then 1000rs even.

If haswell arrives in december then well and good , i can only wait one or two months more

My system is preety well maintained, it is four years old now , with some components being new ( which you can guess).

I know Sire, whether you components are in mint condition the market is not bothered so the prevalent price for your hardware is what you will get.

There is no warranty on tagan SMPS , i swapped it for corsair when i got gtx 580 ( 1 to 1.5 years back), currently it is being used by my friend in his system(fx 6100,6950,8gb ram).

Willing to sell it for less then 1000rs even.

Better to hold onto it then, just as a standby in-case of your primary SMPS leaving you in the lurch.

If haswell arrives in december then well and good , i can only wait one or two months more

It is already out but early bird prices and $ appreciation are not really conducive to a purchase. Also, AMD would have new cards out by November tops now so you can check their performance and make your purchase.

Considering the dollar price and the next gen price, i might consider switching to the pc master race. Whats a ball park price for a rig to last me three years to play games at medium setting after 3 years?

~40,000/- --> 80,000/- (dependent on when you purchase, where you stay and where you source the components from, finally what all do you want to purchase).

And please no PC master race BS on this thread, please, I don't care which side of the field you are migrating from but no there is no PC master race here. It is just a PC Gamer / Enthusiast / aficionado. Take your pick

aren't haswell processors out already ?

Out but prices are a killing.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Out but prices are a killing.

hmm ok and by the alpha the temps were the same the other day so as u i said i guess i am good to go...so thnx alot for the help :)

• Like 1

It is already out but early bird prices and $ appreciation are not really conducive to a purchase. Also, AMD would have new cards out by November tops now so you can check their performance and make your purchase.

Hasewell-E processors which support ddr4 , i was talking about those. should have mentioned it earlier, apologies.

Yeah i am waiting for AMD and nvidia new products till end of the year :)

Hasewell-E processors which support ddr4 , i was talking about those. should have mentioned it earlier, apologies.

Oh! Those are not out yet and I am not really sure if they will be worth the extra money you spend on them at a later date.

Yeah i am waiting for AMD and nvidia new products till end of the year :)

nVidia is done for the year, AMD plans a soft-launch end of September and by November cards should hit market(s) in force.

Thanks Alpha. I was playing Hitman Absolution today, when my 7950 crossfire setup reached insane temperatures: the top card reaching 90C and the bottom one at 80C(GPU load on both the cards was about 72% each). There was a faint smell like that of the soldering iron, panicked by which, I closed the game. It's not that this is a new occurrence, as I simply haven't used my rig to play very graphics intensive games after getting the new PSU and crossfire, and so it never got a chance to reach that stage before.

What should I do now?

(1) Install some more fans, with a proper planning, considering the airflow around the GPUs?

(2) Underclock the GPUs to generate less heat?

(3) Re-apply thermal paste on GPUs

(4) Something else?

I'll post a pic of my interiors in that cooling thread next week to arrive at a good airflow strategy for my needs.

BTW, why is there such a big difference in price between 120mm and 140mm fans?

Thanks Alpha. I was playing Hitman Absolution today, when my 7950 crossfire setup reached insane temperatures: the top card reaching 90C and the bottom one at 80C(GPU load on both the cards was about 72% each). There was a faint smell like that of the soldering iron, panicked by which, I closed the game. It's not that this is a new occurrence, as I simply haven't used my rig to play very graphics intensive games after getting the new PSU and crossfire, and so it never got a chance to reach that stage before.

What SMPS are you on now?

That is alarming to hear, first of all, update your drivers to the latest 13.8 BETA. It should improve the CrossFire performance.

From your current description for now I will cater to the issue as if the heat is not getting vented fast enough.

(1) Install some more fans, with a proper planning, considering the airflow around the GPUs?

(2) Underclock the GPUs to generate less heat?

(3) Re-apply thermal paste on GPUs

(4) Something else?

1. You can add a couple fans to blow air onto the cards or add fans to vent heat faster.
  2. Not really an option, the two cards are in such proximity that unless the dead-heat in that region is not expelled you won't be able to solve the problem.
  3. You can try that but I must warn you that this straight up voids all warranty on the cards, so consider this only after due deliberation.
  4. There are no other options save adding water cooling blocks onto your cards but that means substantial investment in importing the components.
I'll post a pic of my interiors in that cooling thread next week to arrive at a good airflow strategy for my needs.

BTW, why is there such a big difference in price between 120mm and 140mm fans?

That will be really helpful.

No clue mate, honestly I don't see a lot of people buying the third-party fans so it might be because of that.

I'm on 13.4. Will update to 13.8 Beta, and will also try some other games. But I guess the games themselves don't matter, right? As long as the GPUs are stressed to the same 72% mark by anything the temperature will always go to what it went during Absolution, right?

EDIT: The new PSU is Corsair TX850M.

Edited by Ph3N0M

Simple answer: PC.

_

• Play Station 4 exclusives are weak.
  • DC Universe Online/War Thunder/Blacklight Retribution/Warframe/PlanetSide 2 are F2P on PC and available for months now.
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack will be available on launch and it's not really a reason to buy PS4.
  • Future 2014: The Order: 1886/inFamous Second Son...that's it for now.
Edited by Heaven Angel