Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

playstation

The game has extremely large maps but most of the areas outside of the enemy encampments and guard posts are plain barren with the exception of green spots where you can pluck those plants from. Traversing through the maps in every mission in Afghanistan now feels the same. Also, the fact that some of the side operations appear in the same mission outposts makes it a tad hackneyed at times.

Man, tell me about it. Playing this has become a chore. Doesn't help that I'm playing Witcher 3 side by side.

Right now, my motivation to continue with this game is.. "spent money on it, so might as finish it somehow"

43 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

The game has extremely large maps but most of the areas outside of the enemy encampments and guard posts are plain barren with the exception of green spots where you can pluck those plants from. Traversing through the maps in every mission in Afghanistan now feels the same. Also, the fact that some of the side operations appear in the same mission outposts makes it a tad hackneyed at times.

Open world is indeed quite bland if you compare it to Witcher nd all. Just follow main missions. No need to explore open world as it's full of military outposts nothing else. 

How far are you in the game?  Unlock some gadgets and upgrade your buddies to add some variety to gameplay. Playing this game with fully Max out D Walker and Quiet is lot of fun. 

Some of the later story missions are very well designed and lot of fun. There's a reason game is 95 on Metacritic.  Play the game with open mind and stop comparing it with Witcher nd all. 

Edited by WhiteWolf
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

That's one of the biggest problems. Should have never gone the open world route at all. It is extremely bland and boring. w4211QT.png

16 hours ago, adity said:

Yup. Terribly boring. Couldn't get myself to play after the first few hours. 

agreed.....im just sticking to main missions...but still i dont feel like going back to the game :fear: 

Just completed a bunch of side missions this afternoon. One of the missions involved taking out mines spread across a certain section of the desert, a very remote section in all honesty. I didn't even understand what the point was of making a mission centered around spotting mines in an otherwise not to be traversed area and then disarming/ shooting them. It's not like I had to cross that section of the map to get somewhere across and thus the mines needed to be taken care of. This is where the game suffers terribly, making side the side stuff unimaginatively dull at times. Anyhow, trusty DD made the mission a lot easier to spot those pesky mines so that was a good thing.

Strangely enough this game makes me remember an old game I played decades ago, the original Delta Force title. Sure it has catastrophically dated graphics when talked about in today's standards but the huge, otherwise empty desert terrain from that game comes to mind when I play this.

Edited by Black_Hawk

2 hours ago, hope said:

So to download or not? Shall i skip it?

I say download it mate. Skip the side ops (except for the one's that are needed for the story missions to unlock) and do the main story missions. That should prevent your interest level from dwindling.

P.S. If you need to earn more GMP for unlocking weapons/ upgrades, then do some side ops as needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still wading through the game. Been doing main missions and completing all the side missions as they are unlocked. Destroyed Sahelanthropus yesterday and the game now has unlocked a ton of side missions to complete! Some of them are just plain boring though, repeating the same stuff like "Find the wandering mother base soldier" or "Clear a minefield". Main missions are nice and long and when done the stealth way they do take quite a bit of planning and good execution to get a S rank in the end. An honest confession though, I love to go in guns blazing in some of the missions as well... great way to try out the many weapons in the game!

Should take me the greater part of this month to complete the game in it's entirety.

14 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

I'm still wading through the game. Been doing main missions and completing all the side missions as they are unlocked. Destroyed Sahelanthropus yesterday and the game now has unlocked a ton of side missions to complete! Some of them are just plain boring though, repeating the same stuff like "Find the wandering mother base soldier" or "Clear a minefield". Main missions are nice and long and when done the stealth way they do take quite a bit of planning and good execution to get a S rank in the end. An honest confession though, I love to go in guns blazing in some of the missions as well... great way to try out the many weapons in the game!

Should take me the greater part of this month to complete the game in it's entirety.

Yeah Side missions are boring. But you have to complete them to get 100%

9 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Yeah Side missions are boring. But you have to complete them to get 100%

I don't think I'll be getting 100% in the game since I won't be doing those silly target practice side missions at the Mother Base.

After completing Chapter 1 in the game, a truckload of side missions opened up and needed to be completed, got many of them done today. Also started with the Chapter 2 main missions.