The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

I would suggest ~40000/-; to get a copy of Windows8.1 and a laptop with Intel Core i5 Haswell chips based system.

Bro. Will all the softwares work on Win 8.1? My cousin is doing internet marketing so he uses lots of softwares (not just the popular ones but the custom made ones by the internet marketers). So whether all the softwares which works on Win 7 work with Win 8.1 without any issues?

^ I am not sure about that mate.

Most laptops these days come bundled with Windows8.1, you can try to get a DoS variant and install a copy of Windows7 on it.

You mean getting the Free Dos version laptop and installing both the Win 7 & Win 8? or just installing Win 7 is enough? Will there be any major performance improvements when we use Win 8.1 with haswell processor than that of using it in Win 7? or its not that much noticeable? bcos he dont really want to use Win 8.1 but he just wanna make sure if he misses a lot by not using Win 8.1 with Haswell.

You mean getting the Free Dos version laptop and installing both the Win 7 & Win 8? or just installing Win 7 is enough?

Just Windows7 should be enough.

bcos he dont really want to use Win 8.1 but he just wanna make sure if he misses a lot by not using Win 8.1 with Haswell.

You can get Windows8.1 PRO, that would be best in that case, almost all software that was running on Windows7 is compatible and the rest can be used under compatibility mode.

• Like 1

I think PHRiCK has the same model (older variant) you can ask for his views on the same.

Go for the Y50. If it is not compromising your budget by too much.

I do not think any DELL or SAMSUNG models (at the price point) offer a considerable advantage (in price or configuration) over the Lenovo Y series laptops.

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers.

If you are buying laptop with a 3 years usage in mind then do not overlook Dell. Their after sale support is way ahead of any other company. Any problem you get, you just need to call or email them, they will send a engineer to fix it in next 3 days to your home. Thats how easy it is. You may have to pay 3 or 4 thousand extra for this protection but its totally worth it. I have got my laptop heatsink replaced twice, DVD ROM once, Adapter once and LCD screen once. And all of the above were done in 4 days or less at my home. I would recommend anyone Dell with my eyes closed.

Yes, For After sale support I don't think in India any other company will offer as much support as Dell, And this is not just me saying, Most of my friends who have Dell as well other companies like Acer, Samsung, HP, Lenovo,Toshiba,Sony etc. None can compare the services provided by Dell.

If you are buying laptop with a 3 years usage in mind then do not overlook Dell. Their after sale support is way ahead of any other company. Any problem you get, you just need to call or email them, they will send a engineer to fix it in next 3 days to your home. Thats how easy it is. You may have to pay 3 or 4 thousand extra for this protection but its totally worth it. I have got my laptop heatsink replaced twice, DVD ROM once, Adapter once and LCD screen once. And all of the above were done in 4 days or less at my home. I would recommend anyone Dell with my eyes closed.

I agree with ZooZoo. I am using a 5 year old Dell laptop. Even after support expired any issue it's very cheap to get part replaced from a local vender. Out of my experience with Vaio, HP and Dell I will always say buy Dell.

Yes, For After sale support I don't think in India any other company will offer as much support as Dell, And this is not just me saying, Most of my friends who have Dell as well other companies like Acer, Samsung, HP, Lenovo,Toshiba,Sony etc. None can compare the services provided by Dell.

Problem is that the companies are not bringing competitive models into the market at that price point.

After-sales is a priority but if paying through your nose for the hardware is the barrier, I would go with something that gives me my performance without leaving a gaping hole in my wallet.

Guys,

Can this be used as a Laptop internal HDD?

http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-256-gb-ssd-internal-hard-drive-ts256gssd340/p/itmdu5xdgzgfrhtq?pid=IHDDU5XDGZGFRHTQ&otracker=from-search&srno=t_9&query=ssd&ref=f0c63461-fb05-4262-9a48-6254727814c6

The reason for this choice is basically fastest upgrade at the cheapest price....still too pricey for my liking :/

^ If your laptop chassis supports 7mm hard drives, I see no reason for the drive to not work.

Sent from miG

Thanks bro, but all I can find is that my notebook runs Sata 5400 RPM, nothing about the slot.

This is the one:

http://www.flipkart.com/toshiba-satellite-l850-y3110-laptop-3rd-gen-ci7-8gb-750gb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdeukreqhudqgz

Thanks bro, but all I can find is that my notebook runs Sata 5400 RPM, nothing about the slot.

This is the one:

http://www.flipkart.com/toshiba-satellite-l850-y3110-laptop-3rd-gen-ci7-8gb-750gb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdeukreqhudqgz

Ideally SATA slots are the same, but just to be sure open up your laptop and check the hard drive. If it is SATA (not mini SATA) then go ahead and plonk the SSD drive into it.