The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Aftrunner

If the combat in first game was a QTE feast then the one in this game is nothing but all about pussying out of every fight by running around the area so as to pick one guy at a time (no matter how insignificant)....

+1. I had an exact example of this in the Prologue itself. f**king frustrating.

However, many reviews have stated that the combat becomes very easy in the latter part of the game.

I loved the sword animation in the first game, looked so brutal and professional especially when you are on the 3rd and 4th combo.

One thing to keep in mind is that the combat in Witcher 2 is not bad. Its actually pretty good. Its just that it pales in comparison to the the system in the first game.

I haven't played the first game, so i can only judge the combat based only on this one. And, while its not broken, it isn't even passably efficient either. The camera, the group of enemies, and even the moves make this one of the most frustrating experiences i have ever had while gaming. Most of the time i just want to finish the fight and get to the next story element. You can prepare all you want, with oils and potions, but all you can do is roll around out of the way, and try to find a single enemy. At least in combat, DA2 wins for me.

How many chapter are there?

Yea true most of the time you just want the fighting to end (Good luck if you enter a room and see more than 3 enemies together, much worse if one has a shield) so that you move on to the story bits which is the complete opposite of Witcher 1...not a good thing.

The combat is entirely about rolling and chipping away health of one enemy at a time.....inefficient.

If you guys wanna go one-on-one, level up the grid on the right. If you guys wanna have fun with your enemies upgrade the alchemy grid, or magic one.

It depends really.

^^ I don't know about that man. Played the game for like 2.5 hours and died more than some 25 times. Whoever designed the combat system in this game is a complete moron ! The part where you need to get to some hoardings has been near impossible for me to do so far. Died like a gazillion times ! Also, some really genius dev, thought of removing the ability to drink potions during combat and the combats in prologue start right after a cutscene and its impossible to stack up any potions ! Damn, why could they not have retained the witcher 1's combat system :angry:

^^ I don't know about that man. Played the game for like 2.5 hours and died more than some 25 times. Whoever designed the combat system in this game is a complete moron ! The part where you need to get to some hoardings has been near impossible for me to do so far. Died like a gazillion times ! Also, some really genius dev, thought of removing the ability to drink potions during combat and the combats in prologue start right after a cutscene and its impossible to stack up any potions ! Damn, why could they not have retained the witcher 1's combat system :angry:

:rofl:

-----------------------

yes combat system is not good but try some moves and practice u will get used to it after sometime.

use sign,dodge,light and heavy attack and use one special tactics/strategy--RUNNING AWAY AND COMING BACK TO ATTACK.

in prologue u dont need to use the potions not until chap 1.

EDIT-ahhh nothing

Played the game for like 2.5 hours and died more than some 25 times.

that happens to everyone. normal difficulty is not a cakewalk like we've come to expect with dumbed down games these days... it's actually challenging for a change. you'll learn the combat mechanics and tricks a lot faster if you keep dying because you'll be thinking how to approach every fight. if it's still too much for you, just drop the difficulty down to easy and it becomes a hack and slash with little to no danger to you.

p.s. recommended fighting technique... quen + kiting + points spent on combat vitality regen will win you almost every fight.

Completed the castle missions at last .... the last mission where you face up some of the knights and all those guys with the shield was just too much, swallowed my pride and dumbed down the game to easy :(

You are supposed to use Quen at that point. Sure the game doesn't tell you that. But if it did then there would no difference between this and a post-Mass Effect Bioware title. Don't call the people who designed it "morons" just because you're not able to figure out what needs to be done. Also know that this is very much a skill-based action game now, you'll get better as you play (and die). Play it as you would play Ninja Gaiden. Block, roll away and attack only when you get an opening. Try to funnel out single enemies and use signs as much as you can. Using a 360 controller helps a lot.

I personally prefer the Witcher 1 system too but the combat in Witcher 2 has grown on me. I'm about 25 hours in now, still doing odd jobs in Chapter 2. I must say that the combat is tough only till the end of Chapter 1. Once you've pumped enough points in the skill trees you're pretty much unstoppable. I'm going with a magic build and with maxed out Quen I can pretty much steamroll through everything. I only died once in Chapter 2 when a bunch of harpies caught me with my pants down (read, no Quen].

That said I have a few complaints about the game and after 25 hours I can say that I enjoyed TW1 a lot more. Witcher 2 hasn't exactly been the game I was hoping for. It feels quite restricted compared to the first. I am disappointed at the lack of side quests and the rather straightforward nature of the quests themselves. It's pretty obvious that certain elements of the game have been dumbed to make it more accessible.

Overall its a great RPG (one of the best in the last few years) and something everyone should play but it certainly falls short of being the absolute best... unless the remainder of the game changes my mind drastically.

I think we need to play this game twice, as if you choose one path, it's only 50-60% of the game. That's why I am playing it again. If you look at it that way, its a pretty huge game. But yeah, I was expecting chapter 4. :(

Aard-pushing enemies,stun etc

Igni-fire on everything

Yrden-it holds anything that steps on it for sometime

Quen- provide blue shield around u for sometime.anything else??

Axii- ??

so can anyone tell me what axii sign is for during combat and does quen sign do anything else or it just provide u shield during the combat??

Archived