The Android Thread

pArth

Ah!

I needed a phone right now though. :(

Expected release date for Nexus? Any ideas?

If u are asking for official Indian Release then The earliest it can be is before New Year because google has announced the availability of nexus at many countries as Late November but no announce ment for India so i guess late december if all goes well!

Ok i take back my words but still it will be smarter to wait for the Nexus price to be dropped before buying it!

NEXUS>S2 if u forget about the price.

Actually we cant say which one is really better when price is revealed!

Because i dont see intelligence in paying 10-12k more for the nexus. (unless you are very rich)

The Galaxy Nexus will cost 40-45k in the 1st week through grey imports. Just like the iPhone's abnormal pricing.

After a few weeks, the prices will drop to reasonable 30-35k. Also, if it's officially sold in India, it'll be less than 35k for sure. (I think it'll come sometime next year. Jan/Feb)

Now, I'm even more confused. :|

Let's just put it this way -- I hate stock Android. With the Nexus, I'd have to have until it's rooted, some decent custom ROM comes out for it and along with that some decent customization -- long time.

Would S2 be such a bad choice then?

Also, any idea what's the cheapest the S2 is going for right now? And where?

Huh? Customization can easily be done on stock Android, just install another launcher/dialer/lockscreen from the insane amount of options we have.

I don't know what the S2 offers more in terms of customization. It's just a different UI on the top, which if you want to customize, it's the same way as you would customize stock Android.

S2 isn't a bad choice, just that you will have to wait for your software updates. That's all. Oh, and it's a QVGA 4.21" screen.

I've been an android user for a while now. I'm familiar with the customization. I'm actually into heavily themeing the device -- complete makeovers. But that can be done on the Nexus once CM and MIUI are out for it.

I'm loving the Nexus ATM but TBH, I love the S2 too. :/

Also, time is an issue here. So, will have to go with the S2. Thanks for your help though, man. You were very helpful and shall I say,well informed! :)

Edited by iHoneyBadger

Thats where the android fun really lies.

If u want stock stuff stick with apple. <_<

Thank you for enlightening me. :doh: I never knew after having played with a ton of ROMs on a Nexus S for nearly a year.

ICS incorporates a great many changes that a lot of custom ROMs provides and it runs smooth as silk while doing the same. The point here is that it's not the same old boring stock Android you'd find (and want to change) in Froyo or Gingerbread. With hardware acceleration enabled for 2D as well, it should deliver a consistently smooth experience. You can always make further mods if you so wish but you don't absolutely need to.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42786/ice-cream-samsung-galaxy-sii - Do read.

If you've got yourself a Samsung Galaxy S II and you just can't wait to get Android 4.0 up and running on your smartphone, then we've got some bad news - you're going to have to.

Wait, that is. For the good news is that Samsung Italy has confirmed that the update is coming - but possibly not until Q2 2012.

Ice Cream Sandwich will also hit other high end Sammy devices including the Galaxy Note, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the Galaxy Tab 8.9, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus around the same time.

If the wait frustrates you then take comfort in the fact that at least you're definitely getting it - older Samsung phone owners are yet to hear if their devices will have the minerals required for Google's latest mobile OS.

Hugo Barra, product management director of Android stated earlier this week that there were plans to get Nexus S running Android 4.0 shortly after the release of the Galaxy Nexus device but that the original Google branded Nexus One is just too old to come to the party - it may be that the Samsung Galaxy S suffers the same fate.

They're already talking about delaying the official update.

If you have the patience and the Money..i mean Serious Money then wait for the Galaxy Nexus!

It is a beast of a phone and if u have 40k in your hand..go for it :)

Else according to me Galaxy S2 is a better value for money phone but yeah its common nowadays :X

According to me if u have links in US go for IPHONE 4S which will come unlocked in November.It will be around 35k and is sure a luxury item (though i can confirm it looks the same as iphone 4 so no one can make out u have a 4s or 4)To stick with android as u can see Galaxy S is still better than many other newly launched phones..same will be the case with S2..it will be better even after 1 year!

To summarize

Patience + Cash= Nexus (Better than S2 if money no problem)

Smart Buy otherwise S2

You're not gonna need THAT much cash for a Galaxy Nexus. IIRC, the Galaxy S was around 26-27k when the Nexus S released and it was around 29-31k. They're not gonna release it a HUGE price difference.

It comes down to whether you want to have a phone running the latest OS without the need to put a custom ROM on it and keep updating it or changing ROMs (by no means the smoothest task) then ICS on a Nexus might be all you'll ever need. It does eliminate (partly) the need for absolutely having to add a custom ROM. If you don't care about that and you don't mind waiting for updates / the camera having 3 more MP is more important then by all means get the S2. Otherwise I don't see why the S2 is a 'smarter' buy.

It's possible. But the software optimization is equally important. Also, the OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus hasn't been benchmarked yet.

1) What? Are you nuts? Here, I can see a good amount of difference between a QVGA(800*480) screen and a qHD screen(960*540). The sharpness is more, the amount of content shown is much more.

The 720p screen will be absolutely wonderful, immense amount of content will be displayed. I've gone over this in the Display point of my Google+ post, as to why the 720p screen is a huge plus point. (

)

2) Software is equally important. And the OMAP4460 is no slouch either. It's not been benchmarked yet, so we don't know how good/bad it is.

3) SGS2 released in May/June if I'm not wrong. Obviously it'll be cheaper. But the Nexus might cost 40-42k in grey, give it two to three weeks, it'll drop down to below 35k.

4) The 4.65" screen also includes the system buttons. If you count the system buttons in the SGS2 as part of the screen, the SGS2's screen would go to 4.4" or 4.5". People are not realizing that in the Galaxy Nexus, the Home/Menu/system buttons are part of the screen. I've gone over this in my Google+ post as well.

5) A lot of time. Jan 2012 is what's rumored, I'm expecting March 2012, at the max.

Usually, when you spend a lot on the phone, you don't want it to be outdated. Hardware wise it will be, but software wise it shouldn't. And that's the main advantage of the Nexus line, having the latest software at all times.

CM/MIUI/custom ROM support of the Galaxy Nexus will also be superior. Just look at the Nexus S/Nexus One dev section, and compare it. Especially in the early days. That's cause the source code as well as the drivers needed are usually in the public the day the phone starts selling. Helps the ROM devs a lot.

If you can wait, get the Galaxy Nexus. Don't even consider other Android phones. Trust me. ESPECIALLY if you prefer to avoid the hassles of rooting/custom ROM flashing, etc.

I find the term "Smart Buy" overrated. If you need a phone ASAP, and would prefer not to wait, get the best you can get. If you can wait, and you know that an excellent phone is just around the corner, then WAIT! As simple as this.

In the end, it all comes down to the circumstances you are in.

Wah.. "You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text".

Thanks a tonne, fellas. That really clears up a lot of issues for me. Ive got my mind set on the Galaxy Nexus now.

Even Galaxy S Plus wont get the update?

I think the Galaxy S plus is gonna be way down on their to-do list if the Galaxy S 2 itself is gonna take a long time to get ICS.

Speaking about ICS--> http://www.geeksailor.com/download-ice-cream-sandwich-4-0-google-nexus-s/ and http://www.slashgear.com/android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-ported-to-nexus-s-25190691/ :wOOtjumpy:

Narrowed down my purchase to between S2 and Moto Razr. Galaxy Nexus is out :fear:

Any news of razr launch / pricing ?

And why? :O

RAZR is going to launch with Gingerbread well after the Galaxy Nexus is out, you do realize that right?

no sd card support , only 16 gb :\

plus its really big .

I dont mind waiting for a couple of months for ICS :fear:

Haha, if you buy at this year's end you'll be waiting more than 3 months atleast if they're saying it will only be out by Q2 2012. Plus it's not big at all compared to the S2 or the RAZR.

The SD card support is up to you though, I never use 16gb on a phone even though it's my portable media player too.