The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

ScrewyAurum

Geralt seems so real to you cause Geralt's background is integral to the plot of the game and as you learn more about his past, and make more decisions,his character is shaped more.

Whereas the things that matter about shephards background are mostly put forward as secondary to the whole scheme of things.Also shephard has 2-3 base stories,you can choose any .So your shephard would be different to mine in probably almost everything.

Even then, all recent BIOWARE titles have had this whole voiced protagonist thing. Dragon Age I was the last RPG that did not carry such a baggage and came of as fine to me. Even it had multiple beginnings (Origins) and the overall plot resolved fine. Including your protagonists secondary concerns (including personal tribulations), Shepard carries none of this and thus comes of as a more blank person than Geralt.

Geralt on the other hand doeant come out as such a self sacrificing character and seems to be more fleshed out due to the same reasons ,he is as much concerned about his problems as he is for others and hence seems more "real" cause he is more like what people actually are,shephard on the other hand can be a "badass- hero-galaxy saviour" or "saintly hero galaxy saviour",either way he ll be a self less hero and can seem a bit too selfless to be real,for some people.

If you ask me both shouldnt even be compared they are exact opposite ,geralt has his problems and is almost always concentrating on them whereas shephard always comes out to be going for bigger picture.

Not really, often in the game you have to put the cart before the horse, literally. You save monsters and other creatures because that is what is the truth not because Geralt is a monster-slayer by profession.

In-fact one of his strongest lines that I like from the game is --

"Very often people mistake me for someone I am not."

I think this resonates strongly with me at a personal level than, I am master and commander of the N7, saviour of the Heavens.

This is not to say that I despise, Shepard, he simply embodies the qualities you have put yourself and doesn't connect with me all that much. Even at the end of Mass Effect I don't recall seeing a lot of change in his character, his mission was clearer than ever now to be a galaxy saviour.

Also all the hard work that went into creating a believable universe in Mass Effect is truly worthy of praise and how every action you took between Mass Effect 1 to 3 are documented when you enter the Galaxy Map.

Choices though are still flat, so I cannot really say anything more on topic.

Other than that geralt is also a novel character so obviously he ll have a more defined background ,shephard doesnt have that advantage.

Also i am not a mass effect person ,i play every damn game thats out there ,and just dont keep my world concentrated to a few,so you ll most likely never see me supporting any game over other blindly ,unless the latter is a disaster in everysense,technical as well as gameplay.

The Geralt used in the game is inspired from the one in the books, his grounding in satirical and cynical ways of delivering his points and the moral ambiguity is what makes him so powerful. You have to think before clicking on any dialogue option in the game and none of the colour-coded responses to help you.

The translated works of Andrzej Sapkowski are also highly recommended by me. Good alternate to J. R. R. Tolkien and the multitude of work's it has inspired.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to play even the largest AAA tiltle and if a game makes such an impact on me championing it to the ends of the world is something I would do gladly.

-- Scoia'tel minion

Edited by ALPHA17

I don't mind animation, graphics and pirate theme. How is gameplay and character progression? Is tge story that bad?

Thanks for replying :cheers:

Yeah! If you compare it to Risen it is really generic and boring.

Character progression is weird and disorienting to put it mildly. You have to learn how to kick, it is that contrived on certain levels.

Although the story is supposed to be pirate themed, nothing happens that makes me believe I am Black Beard OR Captain Kidd, and no sea duels. IN A 'supposed' PIRATE GAME.

Characters are clichéd and uninspiring, you have lost the swagger you had in the original and everything seems dumber for the count. Give it a shot if you have expectations from Piranha Bytes but please tone down your expectations. I hope these guys get their act in order, Gothic was such a under-rated game and Risen looks really promising if it can capture the glory of yore.

Naye bother, mate. Cheers!

Risen 2 is a medicore game. Definitely a big step down from the first. That said I did manage to have some fun with it but mostly because I have a thing for east european RPGs. The dialog was funny and the quests kept me hooked for the most part. The pirate theme is mostly superficial though. The characters talk and act like pirates and the combat mostly revolves around swords and muskets. But there's no sea-faring or piloting ships. Even the world is broken into small sections (islands) which are separated by a ship docking animation. The animation is dodgy and overall production values are low. Combat is also pretty unbalanced, once you get muskets there's zero reason to go back to swords. It's a decent game if you pick it up cheap. But don't expect a definitive pirate RPG. And if you must play a Risen game then play the first one, It's really good.

Did not know that you hadn't played the first game.

I had based my analysis of Risen w.r.t. the original game. You will be in for a pleasant surprise with Risen but beware combat is harder than most of your contemporary RPG's.

It's real-time action combat but quite challenging, especially in the early parts of the game. The enemy AI is very aggressive.

I don't think you'll find it in stores (not even sure it was ever officially available here). Your best bet is Steam or any other digital distribution site. It's quite cheap these days and goes on sale very often.

If it is not turn based, I'm fine. Anything like witcher combat would do. Is it available in local shops? for PC?

It did not release officially in India from a distributor.

Trawl through STEAM or Amazon, bound to get a steal-deal these days. Going for $20 on STEAM as of now.

Combat as said by Tyler Sire is real-time (Witcher like) and is compounded by an aggressive enemy AI. I remember dying quite a few times when I first played its demo, on receiving the game had time to polish my skills.

Oh yeah, out of all this is the most memorable quote :P "ODDDRRRIIINNNNNNN!!! WHERE ARE YAEEE!!" "ODRINNNN!!"

@Ty - Thanks :cheers: will check out first.

Its not the most memorable quote, that would be from TW1.

Even then, all recent BIOWARE titles have had this whole voiced protagonist thing. Dragon Age I was the last RPG that did not carry such a baggage and came of as fine to me. Even it had multiple beginnings (Origins) and the overall plot resolved fine. Including your protagonists secondary concerns (including personal tribulations), Shepard carries none of this and thus comes of as a more blank person than Geralt.

Not really, often in the game you have to put the cart before the horse, literally. You save monsters and other creatures because that is what is the truth not because Geralt is a monster-slayer by profession.

In-fact one of his strongest lines that I like from the game is --

"Very often people mistake me for someone I am not."

I think this resonates strongly with me at a personal level than, I am master and commander of the N7, saviour of the Heavens.

This is not to say that I despise, Shepard, he simply embodies the qualities you have put yourself and doesn't connect with me all that much. Even at the end of Mass Effect I don't recall seeing a lot of change in his character, his mission was clearer than ever now to be a galaxy saviour.

Also all the hard work that went into creating a believable universe in Mass Effect is truly worthy of praise and how every action you took between Mass Effect 1 to 3 are documented when you enter the Galaxy Map.

Choices though are still flat, so I cannot really say anything more on topic.

The Geralt used in the game is inspired from the one in the books, his grounding in satirical and cynical ways of delivering his points and the moral ambiguity is what makes him so powerful. You have to think before clicking on any dialogue option in the game and none of the colour-coded responses to help you.

The translated works of Andrzej Sapkowski are also highly recommended by me. Good alternate to J. R. R. Tolkien and the multitude of work's it has inspired.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to play even the largest AAA tiltle and if a game makes such an impact on me championing it to the ends of the world is something I would do gladly.

-- Scoia'tel minion

They are different games in every sense with different sort of lead characters, geralt is obviously the one with more intricate history and character,but the story of witcher is kinda more a personal tale the mass effect is for shephard.

Also i think the voice acting plays a huge part and in that department i think mark meer as shephard has done a very good job in my opinion his voice kinda is more lively then Doug cockle ,i think geralt at times can sound too dull.

Thanks for the book suggestions though,maybe i ll pick em up someday though i am not much of a reader.

Great games overall terribly excited now for witcher 3 though after seeing new screens,hope it comes sooner.