PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

Xk2OyIL.jpg

CcAHjjP.gif

_

AMD: Don’t miss a sneak preview of our powerful new professional graphics innovations during a special live webcast on tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. PDT!

http://bit.ly/1m4aqIw

Edited by Heaven Angel

Nope, you can forget about Maxwell 20nm until 2015.

Now that will be disastrous, the worst I thought for nVidia would be release in late late Q3 / Q4 of this year.

Dogemining has truly fked up the desktop GPU market and AMD has finally found its calling.

Not our fault that AMD cards switched to the GCN architecture with the HD7*** series cards and nVidia started neutering the COMPUTE performance on its gaming GPU's post GTX2** series cards.

What is dogemining?

A form of crypto-currency that was derived from Litecoin which is a scrypt mining based generation system.

titan z??? 2999$???how long before we see a 5000$ card?? at this rate ,not too long. This is getting ridiculous.Titan cards should be banned.

Plenty of professional cards will easily dwarf these prices. But that is beside the point.

TITAN cards are here to stay and there is definitely a niche they are filling, that of a independent artiste / amateur content creator who wants this level of performance at that price.

Edited by ALPHA17

Nvidia announce their next next-gen Pascal GPU

wlHVzjd.jpg

Y8HQqJd.jpg

This is the graphics technology to come after the Maxwell architecture finished its run, and is due to appear in 2016. I'm not quite sure what happened to the Volta GPU architecture that was pegged for a post-Maxwell release as recently as CES in January, but that looks to have been delayed by a least two years, after Pascal.

Code-named after the scientist Blaise Pascal, the new GPU architecture will introduce three dimensional memory and a new interconnect, called NVLink, that is set to offer up between five and twelve times the bandwidth of the current PCIe connection.

That 3D memory, also known as stacked memory, means the VRAM will be stacked directly on top of the GPU itself. “We're going to, for the first time,” said Jen-Hsun, “build chips on top of other chips. We're going to pile heterogeneous chips—meaning different types of chips—on one wafer.”

They then punch tiny holes in the silicon to allow for connections to be made all the way through the DRAM stack and down into the GPU. “Together it forms an interface that delivers an unbelievable amount of bandwidth,” he continues. “A huge leap.”

Nvidia estimate we'll see a boost of between two and four times the memory bandwidth that's currently available. It also allows for 2.5 times the capacity and an impressive four times the energy efficiency of current GPUs.

The new NVLink interconnect that goes along with the new GPU design offers a huge uptick in PCIe bandwidth and increases the available bandwidth for multi-GPU arrays with Pascal GPUs too. That should enable more advanced, possibly linear, scaling as you add more and more GPUs to a machine.

Jen-Hsun Huang showed on-stage a development board with the Pascal GPU sat in the middle, calling it a “supercomputer the size of two credit cards.”

It's a tantalising glimpse into the future of Nvidia's GPUs, but regardless of the bandwidth numbers and the world-changing possibilities research with such cheap supercomputers could deliver, I just want to know how smoothly it's going to render Unreal Engine 4 at 4K.

Hmm, no room for Volta.

Edited by Heaven Angel

Will next gen GPU's wont need fan ??

What makes you say that?

The picture in Joe's post is a representative die-shot. The heat-sink and fan cover that part of the card.

There are passively cooled cards in current generation too which feature no fan for active cooling but they tend to run hotter and / or are more low-end models.

Sent from my ST27i

Edited by ALPHA17

What makes you say that?

The picture in Joe's post is a representative die-shot. The heat-sink and fan cover that part of the card.

There are passively cooled cards in current generation too which feature no fan for active cooling but they tend to run hotter and / or are more low-end models.

Sent from my ST27i

Yes that pic in the joe's post. I thought it will have not be producing heat anymore so no fan required.

Yes that pic in the joe's post. I thought it will have not be producing heat anymore so no fan required.

That is implausible with current generation chip technology.

Maybe once we progress to carbon nano-tubes or some form of hybrid bio-technology we might achieve that goal of minimum energy wastage.

Sent from my ST27i

AMD’s Next Teaser: The Mystery Briefcase

AMD_Case1_678x452.jpg

AMD_Case2_575px.jpg

After taking a week off, AMD is back once more with another teaser for their forthcoming dual-GPU product. This should, we assume, be the final such teaser, meaning we’re getting close to the launch of the card.

Following last month’s chips & water, this time AMD has sent over a rather large metal briefcase. The briefcase is adorned with an unusual Radeon logo on one side, and the AMD logo on the top.

AMD Radeon R9-295X2 'Vesuvius' to release this month

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Project-Hydra.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Specifications.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Mechanical-Dimension

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Design.jpg

Source: Anandtech and VideoCardz.com

Edited by ALPHA17