Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Mysteryman

Few impressions from the beta:

- Feels like a mix of Far Cry, Just Cause and Mercenaries 2 (if you've ever played that) but with more tactical combat.

- Looks much better than I expected. Lovely landscapes and nice weather effects.

- Game design is typical Ubisoft open world stuff. I'm sure if you clear the beta zone you've pretty much seen the entire game as it seems you just have to do the same thing about 20 times again.

- Combat is nice and it does have that tactical element to it (although it's not the old Ghost Recon). Stealth works well and shooting feels good, enemies die quick (and so do you).

- Movement feels clunky as hell and animations need work.

- Weapon upgrade system is very cool, definitely the highlight. There's a sh*t ton of stuff to unlock. Character upgrades are also a nice addition. However you need to farm materials to unlock these. Side missions give you a ton of these though.

- Missions are mostly - go to a settlement - kill everyone - extract someone - steal something - find some intel or some variation of that. I honestly don't think that's bad as the game gives you complete freedom in how you approach them.

- Enemy AI is laughably bad.

- Vehicle handling is weird, you can drive on any kind of terrain with any vehicle with no real consequence.

- It is a lot of fun with friends, I had a blast playing with three friends. Though for the most part we were just messing around with the vehicles and not really playing it tactically as the game expected us to.

I personally feel the game has serious identity crisis. On one hand it wants to be this super serious tactical action game with a serious violent story / setting and on the other hand there's the arcadey driving, endless possibilities to ignore the missions and just have fun.

It's not a bad game and I do see myself picking it up during a sale or something. I might have picked it up at launch if there was nothing else coming out close to it.

- Vehicle handling is weird, you can drive on any kind of terrain with any vehicle with no real consequence.

So it is the MAKO in Columbia edition?

Archived