Age of Empires IV

Heaven Angel

35 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

GamePass. 

I already have game pass on my Xbox. There is an offer of 489 for the first 8 months for new users. Will create a new account and use that offer.

Edited by R a g h u

It's a great game. But I do have some problems with this title -

1) Trebuchets are stupid OP. In previous Age of Empires games, trbuchets and other siege weapons can be destroyed pretty easily if you are able to bring your units close to it. Other cavalry/infantry/archers should protect the catapults/trebuchets. Here, they have stupid health and endurance. Make 7-8 trebuchets, and add in a little cavalry+infantry mix and they will kill even an army of elephants+archers+infantry. Their attack is also very fast. In seconds, these trebuchets will destroy your full health forts.

I get that the devs are proud of Trebuchets because of the documentary they did - but game breaking they should not be.

2) It takes a very long time to research. Age of Mythology, I felt got the mix perfectly right. Here, research feels like a mobile game - with even early ones even taking 6 minutes IRL to finish. This makes the game way too slow, especially for a person like me who loves to upgrade units.

3) The drag select is irritating. In the previous titles, you could set it such that if you box-select (Drag Mouse), the box will ignore villagers. Here, the option is there. But if you select it - you cannot box select villagers at all, even if they are alone. This was not the case previously, and is annoying.

Other than that, this game is standard AoE fare. Props to MS for putting this on GP though. 8 months of GP for 500 Rs is an amazing deal for this title.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, triggr happy ss said:

Don't know how it will work, or even whether it will be fun on consoles. Micro-managing is the name of the game here, and Mouse helps it tremendously, to the point it's compulsory. I expect janky controller controls (they cannot skip controller support on consoles), and if they ever do cross-platform MP, I expect PC players to demolish console players, unless they automate most of the stuff in the game.

• 4 months later...

Earn College Credit with UArizona-Created Content!

The University of Arizona Illuminated History Experience, developed by two Department of History faculty members – associate professor of medieval history Paul Milliman and associate professor of Roman history and department head Alison Futrell – in collaboration with game designers from World’s Edge game studio and Relic Entertainment, is now available on the Age of Empires website. The educational material supplements the historical storytelling in the Age of Empires IV campaign and enables players to take part in additional out-of-game content, including testing their knowledge of the historical time period.

Based on admission status with the University of Arizona and Arizona Online, engaging with the content could allow players to earn one academic credit at the university.

“It’s a really innovative way to learn,” Futrell said. “We don’t know of any partnerships like this between a university and video game designers anywhere else in the world. We hope that both students on the University of Arizona main campus and Age of Empires players will be excited about the course and interested in other classes the history department offers.”

As with any college course, there are some required materials. Prospective students will need to have access to Age of Empires IV on Steam, the Microsoft Store, or with subscriptions to Xbox Game Pass for PC or Ultimate. All players will need to be signed into the game using an Xbox Live account, available for free.

Professor Futrell, based out of the UArizona main campus, is available for in-person interviews. Online interviews with Milliman or the game designers can be arranged by request.

This is pretty cool.

• 1 year later...