Jump to content

Ask The Experts


Chaztin
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DinJo said:

Why do you have to use office laptop? I heard this from some companies makes life more difficult 

 

No access to any apps (outlook, word, Onedrive, teams etc)/tools/collab sites without office laptop. Can't even access webmail on personal devices. All managed via Mobileiron and tunneled through VPN on personal phone and tablet with restrictions. 

Office laptop is secured with network UN/PW, VPN and Pingone authentication. USB access prohibited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need help on getting Bluetooth working on my desktop pc since it's not a BT MB I have 2 options either Bluetooth pcie card or external USB adapter wanted to people opinion whether is using this setup and with what device I primarily want to use with wireless earphones 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, LordSpymaster said:

What's a good fitness tracker? Currently using a Fitbit Inspire HR. I'm not sure how comfortable the smartwatch trackers (the ones with large round screens) are since I wear the fitbit overnight for sleep tracking too. Budget max 25k. 

I use a Galaxy Watch 3 and its pretty good when it comes to fitness tracking. However, only downside is the 1.5 day battery life but have gotten used to it and doesn't hamper day-to-day activities. GW4 is out as well with the new WearOS but the pricing is yet to be out, probably will be close to 40k(for the classic version) and maybe around 30k for the regular one.

GW3 is extremely comfortable to wear though, especially with a silicon band. There is also the Galaxy Active 2 which was around 17k afaik.

 

  

On 8/15/2021 at 1:00 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

 

I haven't made any DPI changes, but somr default button behavior gets stored on the mouse (for example, clicking scroll wheel to open tabs in a new window), while some are software driven (like clicking middle button to close current tab). 

I've the same problem - work laptop with insane restrictions - but still the mouse ergonomics are worth it. 

Have you been encountering any issues with scrolling? I was researching about the mouse as I wanted to buy it as well but I read about it having very inconsistent scrolling like this one.

 

 

Also, guys are password managers like Bitwarden reliable and safe to store all our passwords? Any recommendations for the same?

Edited by Lazyboy8134
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

I use a Galaxy Watch 3 and its pretty good when it comes to fitness tracking. However, only downside is the 1.5 day battery life but have gotten used to it and doesn't hamper day-to-day activities. GW4 is out as well with the new WearOS but the pricing is yet to be out, probably will be close to 40k(for the classic version) and maybe around 30k for the regular one.

GW3 is extremely comfortable to wear though, especially with a silicon band. There is also the Galaxy Active 2 which was around 17k afaik.

 

 

Also, guys are password managers like Bitwarden reliable and safe to store all our passwords? Any recommendations for the same?

Thanks! What I'm reading about the samsung watches is that I would need a samsung phone to fully utilize the watch's features. Some features need the galaxy apps which are exclusive to samsung's own app store. Is this true & does this hamper your watch use (assuming you don't run a samsung phone)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LordSpymaster said:

Thanks! What I'm reading about the samsung watches is that I would need a samsung phone to fully utilize the watch's features. Some features need the galaxy apps which are exclusive to samsung's own app store. Is this true & does this hamper your watch use (assuming you don't run a samsung phone)

You get a 'Wear' store which can be downloaded on any Android phone. I'm using a Samsung phone, so can't comment on any other functionality being missed for being outside of the Samsung eco-system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Thanks! What I'm reading about the samsung watches is that I would need a samsung phone to fully utilize the watch's features. Some features need the galaxy apps which are exclusive to samsung's own app store. Is this true & does this hamper your watch use (assuming you don't run a samsung phone)

So I currently use a s20FE. However before this, I used the watch with a OnePlus 7T. And honestly, the notifications were much more quicker with the OnePlus lol.

 

You get access to most of the functionality even with a non-samsung phone. I couldn't find any difference apart from that if you use a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can control the phone camera from your watch for free. Apart from that, couldn't find any difference. If there are any specific features you are talking about, please let me know! You can access the apps on the Samsung store on the non samsung phone through the galaxy wearable app itself.

 

If its the ECG and BP, then both are unavailable in India officially irrespective of the phone you use. However, there is a thread on the XDA forums through which you can get both of them. The BP you have to calibrate with a proper BP machine once a month. However, the reading is pretty accurate. Regarding ECG, unfortunately it worked at the start but now there is some issue with the ECG button in my watch so have to get it checked.

 

Plus GW3 looks absolutely beautiful :P

Edited by Lazyboy8134
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LordSpymaster said:

Thanks, 

 

See these threads on reddit, they talk about this.

 

 

 

Well Galaxy 4 is yet to be delivered as it launched a week ago. It's only on the pre-order stage as of now and yet to open for pre-orders here in India.

Firstly, ECG and BP will take time to come to India officially. That is, if it ever comes. The regulatory authorities have to approve it and that's why its taking time to come in many countries. As I mentioned earlier, I used a method on XDA(which is safe) to install the ECG and BP on both my earlier OnePlus and my current Samsung and it works absolutely fine apart from that ECG issue but thats a hardware issue.

 

When it comes to the Watch 4, I'm sure XDA will come out for a method to get ECG and BP on that as well but I guess gotta wait for the deliveries to start first. Afaik they're supposed to be delivered by Aug 27th or Aug 28th.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about these features? The AC article mentions that even sleep tracking needs a Galaxy phone for these new watches, which is downright silly. 

 

Quote

Samsung Galaxy smartphone users will need the Samsung Health Monitor app installed on their phone to track data from the new 3-in-1 health sensor on the Galaxy Watch 4. More specifically, that includes historic measurement tracking of your blood pressure, blood oxygen level (SpO2), VO2 Max, irregular heartbeats, body composition, and even sleep tracking.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

What about these features? The AC article mentions that even sleep tracking needs a Galaxy phone for these new watches, which is downright silly. 

 

 

Not sure about this tbh. Sleep tracking worked fine with my OnePlus on the GW3.

Samsung Health and Samsung Health Monitor are 2 different apps.

 

Samsung Health: Can be installed on all phones irrespective of the make and is the main Samsung fitness app. Contains Heartrate, cal, activity log, sleep tracking, etc.

Samsung Health Monitor: Currently it is only used for ECG and Blood Pressure. Not sure if it'll change for the GW4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Have you been encountering any issues with scrolling? I was researching about the mouse as I wanted to buy it as well but I read about it having very inconsistent scrolling like this one.

 

Nope. No such issues. Happy with the mouse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

This was the case with the early production batches but the current ones don't suffer from it.

 

19 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

 

Nope. No such issues. Happy with the mouse. 

Thank you! Also any idea where we can get the mouse for less than 7k? Or is Amazon the lowest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

 

Thank you! Also any idea where we can get the mouse for less than 7k? Or is Amazon the lowest?

I have been waiting for a good price as well, amazon trackers say that it has went down to 7.5k but never really saw that price. 

8k is the usual price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

I have been waiting for a good price as well, amazon trackers say that it has went down to 7.5k but never really saw that price. 

8k is the usual price.

It was 7450 for quiet a lot of time. I had seen it quiet a lot but didn't pull the trigger because I was unsure about the scrolling issue.

Also, if I setup the mice and its gestures on my personal laptop, will I be able to use the same on VMWare as well? My work is on a cloud desktop through VMWare. Any idea about that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

It was 7450 for quiet a lot of time. I had seen it quiet a lot but didn't pull the trigger because I was unsure about the scrolling issue.

Also, if I setup the mice and its gestures on my personal laptop, will I be able to use the same on VMWare as well? My work is on a cloud desktop through VMWare. Any idea about that?

I am not sure about using it in a VM. As @Bird Bird Bird said, some features are saved in the mouse's memory while other require the software.

Not much documentation about VM usecase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Suggestions for an all rounder laptop for 50k?

Needs to be used by an 8th grader, won't be gaming much except a bit of Roblox.

Not looking for excessively thicc ones.

 

Please suggest.

 

Got a mi notebook for my niece. My parents wanted to gift one for her bday and chose this.

 

Ticks all the right boxes. Relatively light weight, solid build, looks very nice with an anodized aluminum/metal finish. Do check it out.

Edited by l33tmaniac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

 

Got a mi notebook for my niece. My parents wanted to gift one for her bday and chose this.

 

Ticks all the right boxes. Relatively light weight, solid build, looks very nice with an anodized aluminum/metal finish. Do check it out.

Looks good but I am wary of Xiaomi. Can't trust them to not just suddenly start pushing ads on it in future.

Even then, the kid's parents won't go for Xiaomi, anti-china and all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...