True Crime: Hong Kong

KnackChap

Developer: United front Games (makers of modnation racers)

Publisher: Activision.

Genre: sandbox, crime thriller

Platforms : PS360

Release: 2010

And there it is, people: The second "mystery" teaser for this year's Spike VGA award show, shown first here on Joystiq. (The first, you'll recall, was 2K Games' franchise reboot of Spec Ops). Since we don't have any insider info on the developer or the publisher behind the game, we'll simply share what we know: This is a new, unannounced game that will be revealed for the first time at the VGAs; the trailer's narration is delivered by a "well-known actor" (Tom Wilkinson?); and the reveal at the VGAs will have actual gameplay.

Share your best educated guesses in the comments below and we'll bubble the best to the top. We'll start you out: That's a Hong Kong police badge, so we're saying True Crime 3: Hong Kong.

[update: Internet sleuth superannuation posits that this mystery title is none other than Black Lotus, the as-of-yet-unnamed Activision-published, United Front-developed action title announced earlier this year. Just about the only thing we know about the project on the record is that it's "a new action-based game set in Hong Kong" by the studio working on ModNation Racers. Do we have a winner?]

Teaser

[gt]59427[/gt]

WTF?!?!

Edit: Looks like a rip-off amalgam of the Glass+Reggio GTA4 reveal trailer and Tequila thowing away his badge from Stranglehold :/

But I'm a sucker for the setting so colour me pink VERY interested.

• 2 weeks later...

True Crime

Who saw this one coming? True Crime is coming to this console generation. After Streets of LA and New York City filled your PlayStation 2s and Xboxs with open-world mediocrity, the Grand Theft Auto

-with-cops franchise is heading to Hong Kong.

From what little information is hinted at, it seems you’ll be playing as an undercover cop who’s infiltrating the Triad. A heavy emphasis on martial arts combat is apparent, as is ripping around on vehicles. Elements cribbed from Pursuit Force and Just Cause have creeped into the probably-open-ended urban action game, as you’ll seemingly be able to hop from one vehicle to another and take it for yourself.

The twist in all of this? United Front Games is handling the development — yes, the ModNation Racers team. It seems that the Vancouver studio has more up its sleeve than cute kart racing.

True Crime Exclusive Debut Trailer

[gt]59929[/gt]

Never played any of the previous 2 games. Were they any good? Only thing I remember is the phrase "GTA clone" thrown around with some disdain.

they were good but not of GTA standards.. but enjoyable... controls were major concern when i played it PS2

Hmm just checked and the last two games are rated at 60 and 70 at Metacritic. There are better games that could have used a sequel more than this.

bro u r wrong...

i hv played both da games...it was very fun..i'm happy they r makin a sequel...it was pretty much a gta clone but u play a cop instead of a gangster...

thr were variety of missions but da thing is da game gt repetative..

it still was a lot of fun...

Ive played True Crime : Streets of LA and enjoyed in thoroughly. Its a superb experience and loads of fun. A lot of decisions that you have to make and the story changes depending on that. Its also an open world, but no as open as GTA, mind, but its still a fun and very very enjoyable experience. If this game lives up to that, Id probably get it.

Hmm just checked and the last two games are rated at 60 and 70 at Metacritic. There are better games that could have used a sequel more than this.

The games aren't direct sequels. They're just open world games under the True Crime banner. The concept itself is sound.

And those Metacritic scores are a bit misleading. Kane & Lynch has a sub-65 score there.

meh.. i wud pass unless its really, really good. i am yet to complete gta 4 (will get in in the coming year), then there is mafia 2, RdR and maybe yakuza. lets see if its anything different.

the ps2 games were very avg compared to gta Vc and SA. only thing enjoyable were the pot shots that both games took at each other.

example-

In GTA SA-

egg_3.jpg

and i am not able to find any True crime images but there were 2 in streets of LA, one with a bill board of JOCK STRAPS with a rockstar like logo and other where u have to kill a whiney Italian mobster wannabe that looks and acts very much like Tommy versetti from GTA VC.

:(

okey, i take me words back, the trailer looks pretty dandy.. and i like the setting. ITs china !!

i thought it would be another US location. and acti are a bigger company now post MW, we could hope higher production values.

I am still skeptical but this will surely be on the radar ! hope it turns out good.

Archived