The Sales Charts Thread

this just showed up on my twitter feed - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/120/1200267p1.html?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

while gears 3 was 3 million in one week (assuming that was worldwide).

so... bad game? bad release time? or do 5 sony exclusives really do get outsold by a single 360 one?

It depends on the fan base, Resistance doesn't have much compared to Gears. Plus with marketing you can easily sell any sh*t like Homefront. Sony failed Insomniac, but they're concentrating on Uncharted 3, so can't really do anything. Resistance and R&C are dead franchises.

Yeah, Dead Island should have outsold Resistance 3 easily on PS3. There's no interest in the Resistance franchise anymore. Bu I hope they make one for the PS4 or whatever.

The first two resistance games came at a time when the ps3 lacked good shooters. Its similar to how Motorstorm sold 3-4 mil and was the best selling ps3 game for a long time, that won't happen again with a sequel of similar quality.

The first two resistance games came at a time when the ps3 lacked good shooters. Its similar to how Motorstorm sold 3-4 mil and was the best selling ps3 game for a long time, that won't happen again with a sequel of similar quality.

Almost all PS3 first party games kept selling worse as the sequels come out, even as the install base kept increasing. Not really surprised given the amount of effort Sony puts in marketing and advertising.

What kind of marketing is required to sell the sequel to people who purchased the previous title(s) of the franchise?

The reason people wouldn't buy the sequel automatically is that they weren't satisfied with the earlier outing and they aren't looking forward to the sequel. Franchise can have some wear, but that shouldn't make the sequel selling half of what it sold earlier. The conversion of people added newly to the installbase, is of course dependent of marketing and the way release is planned.

The reason people wouldn't buy the sequel automatically is that they weren't satisfied with the earlier outing and they aren't looking forward to the sequel. Franchise can have some wear, but that shouldn't make the sequel selling half of what it sold earlier. The conversion of people added newly to the installbase, is of course dependent of marketing and the way release is planned.

Not true. Speaking from personal experience I bought R1&2, motorstorm etc. and was completely satisfied with them. But right now there are plenty of better titles available in the market.

This of course mainly affects titles that ends up in the middle. Insomniac should have stuck to q1-q2.

What kind of marketing is required to sell the sequel to people who purchased the previous title(s) of the franchise?

To let them know when the game is coming out, or is already out? I had no idea that MSA was coming out in said month until it showed up in news because of Japan earthquake. How many people know that new R&C is coming out next week?

EDIT: wait, its not next week, its tomorrow :lol:

Not true. Speaking from personal experience I bought R1&2, motorstorm etc. and was completely satisfied with them. But right now there are plenty of better titles available in the market.

This of course mainly affects titles that ends up in the middle. Insomniac should have stuck to q1-q2.

So lets say you haven't bought R3, would you purchase it if Sony spends more on marketing? :)

R1 and R2 were released in Q4, I think planning to have R3 in Q3 was indicative that Sony doesn't feel that its belong in Q4.

And also, aren't we now agreeing to theory of availability of too many titles, affecting the sales?

To let them know when the game is coming out, or is already out? I had no idea that MSA was coming out in said month until it showed up in news because of Japan earthquake. How many people know that new R&C is coming out next week?

EDIT: wait, its not next week, its tomorrow :lol:

But if you were really really looking forward to it, you would know when is it releasing. Though I believe people can make the mistake for an obscure title they are partly interested, even for RnCC or Dead Island, but you think people would make that mistake for a game like Resistance or Gears after having played R1 and R2?

Almost all PS3 first party games kept selling worse as the sequels come out, even as the install base kept increasing. Not really surprised given the amount of effort Sony puts in marketing and advertising.

except for resistance, motorstorm and rnc this statement isn't all that true.

So lets say you haven't bought R3, would you purchase it if Sony spends more on marketing? :)

Never said anything about marketing, it was on what you said about being satisfied with the prequels. And this only affects titles that are in the middle, big names like CoD, FF, Gears, BF etc. will sell well regardless of the competition. Same goes for franchises that have a cult following like Dark Souls.

Never said anything about marketing, it was on what you said about being satisfied with the prequels. And this only affects titles that are in the middle, big names like CoD, FF, Gears, BF etc. will sell well regardless of the competition. Same goes for franchises that have a cult following like Dark Souls & Disgaea.

fixed

B)

Jeebus I remember playing Dis on the PS2 like f**king ages ago. Back then I had no idea of what it was, saw a friend playing it and borrowed it just cause it looked like FF tactics. :P

Even the last gen is starting to become old school. :lol:

Archived