The Android Thread

pArth

I am sorry, but REALLY .................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

<_<

laugh all u want, didn't get enough info in a web search as its not enabled on most carriers, only select few ! And to clarify, i asked should i swipe or show my mobile phone and the money gets deducted ?

Edited by Ne0

Ok sorry, I mean I could not stop myself from laughing at the thought of swiping a phone, it IS really funny, imagine it in your head.

Also NFC stands for Near Field Communication, so there is no need for a swipe, the uses can be many but take Google Wallet for example. you register your card on Google Wallet, the payment guy (say a store like wallmart) has NFC and is registered to use Google Wallet as payment method. So in this case you need not swipe the card physically at the store, just tap the phone once to the payment machine, authorize the payment on your phone and you are good to go. The security is immense as you never hand over the card or the phone to somebody else.

Please note that this is not the exact way Google Wallet may work, for I am not really sure, but this is a way in which NFC could work with a payment mechanism like Google Wallet.

ICS coming to Galaxy devices in Q1 2012

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/44476/samsung-to-roll-out-ice-cream-sandwich-update-for-galaxy-devices-starting-q1-2012.html

Samsung has officially announced that they plan to provide Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy devices from the first quarter of 2012. Samsung GALAXY S II and GALAXY Note would be the first devices to get this update in the first quarter of 2012 and other devices would follow soon.

The list of devices that are upgradable to ICS include, GALAXY S II, GALAXY S II LTE, GALAXY Note, GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7, and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus.

Also, a guy on XDA got G version from Flipkart in I9100 box. They offered him a refund :bigyellowgrin:

Shouldn't it do that by itself? If I have to, how do I do that?

Settings->Wireless->WiFi-Settings->Menu button->Advanced->Wi-Fi Sleep Policy.

Ok sorry, I mean I could not stop myself from laughing at the thought of swiping a phone, it IS really funny, imagine it in your head.

Also NFC stands for Near Field Communication, so there is no need for a swipe, the uses can be many but take Google Wallet for example. you register your card on Google Wallet, the payment guy (say a store like wallmart) has NFC and is registered to use Google Wallet as payment method. So in this case you need not swipe the card physically at the store, just tap the phone once to the payment machine, authorize the payment on your phone and you are good to go. The security is immense as you never hand over the card or the phone to somebody else.

Please note that this is not the exact way Google Wallet may work, for I am not really sure, but this is a way in which NFC could work with a payment mechanism like Google Wallet.

err.. not so fast..NFC has its own security issues. In fact, in many cases, it is even more severe than handing over cards as the security might even be compromised by someone by just standing next to you. NFC might be secure but not for the reasons of not handing over the card/phone.

Honestly the biggest problem with NFC is standards. There is no interoperability between companies and OEMs. Nokia's NFC wont work with Samsung's and similar other examples. Whats the point of that. That needs to be sorted out before NFC gains any headway. Right now it just seems like a cool tech with no real practical benefit for the customer

Actually I don't think NFC is not secure, it is the implementation that may not be so secure.

There is no such thing as fully secure in this world. There are quite a bit of loopholes in the very many NFC protocols as well as implementations for NFC and surrounding/supporting things and ultimately a technology is as secure as all it's supporting pillars can be. (BTW I changed over to security field at work recently to work on this and various other things that you will see in mobile field in coming years :) ).

Settings->Wireless->WiFi-Settings->Menu button->Advanced->Wi-Fi Sleep Policy.

Oh, the menu button. Haven't gotten used to it yet. Did it. This should be the default setting IMO.

(BTW I changed over to security field at work recently to work on this and various other things that you will see in mobile field in coming years :) ).

Love this attitude. Great. :thumbsup:

So ICS is out on devices now, and on both its a battery hog. :lol:

This just keep getting better and better. I hope Samsung fixes the governer/kernel whatever to prevent the useless wakelocks.

is it? :sign_omg:

So now they're doing an iOS 5.0.1 :giggle: