The Android Thread

pArth

@anger

Still, car drove over it and not a scratch. That is luck playing its part.

But then again, sand could have allowed the phone to wedge in the surface by getting displaced and that cud be one reason.

Edited by Nemo

@anger

Still, car drove over it and not a scratch. That is luck playing its part.

But then again, sand could have allowed the phone to wedge in the surface by getting displaced and that cud be one reason.

Yeah but that was kind of obvious :P

and here

They havent said anything about that yet. I think it could be chrome since essentially whatever they were doing was being done in chrome and the SDK/APIs also point to javascript based APIs for the receiver side apps.

It should be possible to reverse engineer it to port (or at least emulate) the same on other arm devices. If you want to get some of the basic functionality right now, you can use autoremote and tasker.

Also I think they want to move away from the Android branding as chromecast is platform agnostic and they wouldn't want there to be any confusion among iOS device owners that it will work with their devices as well.

On another note. Updated my Nexus 4 to 4.3. Didn't notice any visual changes other than the camera interface. The phone does seem to run very smoothly though am not sure if it's just a placebo effect :P. My N4 has always run quite smooth.

^^ Not placebo for sure. They have done quite a few changes. Two major ones are Dalvik JIT compiler is more optimized, Some tasks from the main activity/ui renderer can also be multi threaded now. Both of these things happen without needing any apps changes.

Edit: Touch latency has also been reduced, which also ultimately results in smoother exp.

Edit 2: BTW, the chromecast could be built on a hybrid base, or on google tv considering that it used a marvel soc and also the announcement today that chromecast feature will soon be coming to google tv.

Edited by Shantz

They havent said anything about that yet. I think it could be chrome since essentially whatever they were doing was being done in chrome and the SDK/APIs also point to javascript based APIs for the receiver side apps.It should be possible to reverse engineer it to port (or at least emulate) the same on other arm devices.

:good:

Why Not buy those android sticks itself, 3k and run the entire os.

I'm in that camp too as I already use such a system at home where I can also push anything from any device in home to my tv (local as well as online content) and control it as well.

But I can see folks who might be interested in chrome cast as this is going to be much cheaper, much frustration free (those sticks are a horrid nightmare I tell you. And I use my own build on my odroid u2 dev board to keep myself sane), and does the basic thing well that most of these folks are interested in (including the netflix etc tie ins which the sticks might not be able to do because of DRM)

Why Not buy those android sticks itself, 3k and run the entire os.

My experience with streaming media to my Android phone from laptop/desktop as source hasn't been very encouraging. Anyone know how to do it smoothly let me know.

AFAIK there's no solution which does it perfectly. The best combo I've seen till date is PS3 media server on the PC, BubbleUPnP on the android, and vlc player for the media player. But this setup too doesn't work the next time i reboot the pc :(

so is chromecast the equivalent of Apple TV, though much cheaper :P

I mean can I expect to send over WI-FI the current game that I am playing on the Android phone to the TV which has chromecast connected to it (aka AirPlay), now THAT would be awesome

PS: is there even native support for this display mirroring over wi-fi in Android ?

so is chromecast the equivalent of Apple TV, though much cheaper :P

I mean can I expect to send over WI-FI the current game that I am playing on the Android phone to the TV which has chromecast connected to it (aka AirPlay), now THAT would be awesome

PS: is there even native support for this display mirroring over wi-fi in Android ?

AFAIK, chromecast doesn't support native mirroring or even local content streaming OOB but apps can be developed to do that.

Android supports display mirroring through wifi-direct/miracast.

And what happens to the Q now?

They already said long time that Q was being pulled. People have been hoping that a newer/better Q will come but it doesn't make business sense.

Official 4.3 AOSP ROM released for Sony Xperia Z and ZL -> http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-releases-android-4-3-aosp-for-the-xperia-z-and-xperia-zl-too-not-recommended-for-daily-use/

Not recommended for daily use, but good to see Sony supporting the Communuity, guess should not be too long and we will have a fully working Rom(My guess would be before the week ends)