The Travel Thread

MAK

31 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Which cards do you have?

Getting a new card just for one trip won't be beneficial and anyway it's hit/miss that you will be able to get a new card in time.

Too many

HDFC regalia

Yes Bank Exclusive

ICICI Sapphiro

Indusind Legend

and few more, but these are the good ones.

WIll check on the acceptance, my brother travelled recently let me check, though I guess he would have mainly used his Swiss card.

14 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Too many

HDFC regalia

Yes Bank Exclusive

ICICI Sapphiro

Indusind Legend

and few more, but these are the good ones.

WIll check on the acceptance, my brother travelled recently let me check, though I guess he would have mainly used his Swiss card.

Inme aag kyun nhi laga dete?

Get your Regalia upgraded to Infinia and close the rest.

But for now:

1. Forget ICICI

2. Yes bank offers the lowest forex at 1.75% + GST = 2.065%. Indusind is 2.124%, Regalia is 2.36%.

3. Yes Bank offers some 0.6% (airmiles) on all categories (some exclusions) and 1.2% (airmiles) on Travel & Dining (5000 spend limit/statement). Will not recommend this card.

4. Indusind offers 1% per 100 bucks spent (airmiles), so net will be 1.124%.

5. Regalia offers 1.65% (airmiles) + extra 1% cashback upto 1000/month i.e. 1L spends (by enabling Global value program at 300+GST/annum). So net is -0.29%.

6. Even if you forget about airmiles for Regalia, GVP will make your net at 1.36%, slightly higher than Indusind but atleast it's purely based on cash and not airmiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Inme aag kyun nhi laga dete?

Get your Regalia upgraded to Infinia and close the rest.

But for now:

1. Forget ICICI

2. Yes bank offers the lowest forex at 1.75% + GST = 2.065%. Indusind is 2.124%, Regalia is 2.36%.

3. Yes Bank offers some 0.6% (airmiles) on all categories (some exclusions) and 1.2% (airmiles) on Travel & Dining (5000 spend limit/statement). Will not recommend this card.

4. Indusind offers 1% per 100 bucks spent (airmiles), so net will be 1.124%.

5. Regalia offers 1.65% (airmiles) + extra 1% cashback upto 1000/month i.e. 1L spends (by enabling Global value program at 300+GST/annum). So net is -0.29%.

6. Even if you forget about airmiles for Regalia, GVP will make your net at 1.36%, slightly higher than Indusind but atleast it's purely based on cash and not airmiles.

majority of the time I only use Amazon Pay :giggle:

Will check on upgradging to Infinia, but since I don't have acct with HDFC would not be too quick, or will have to pay membership fees. 

SO basically between the above regalia is better choice followed by Indusind.

I thought Sapphiro was a good card, well atleast gets me two free movie tickets a month and is LTF 

Edited by AtheK

15 minutes ago, AtheK said:

majority of the time I only use Amazon Pay :giggle:

Will check on upgradging to Infinia, but since I don't have acct with HDFC would not be too quick, or will have to pay membership fees. 

SO basically between the above regalia is better choice followed by Indusind.

I thought Sapphiro was a good card, well atleast gets me two free movie tickets a month and is LTF 

I mean, get an Axis Magnus. You will most likely get it for FYF, even without it you will get a 10k Tata Cliq Voucher to compensate for the fees.

Fee waiver at 15L/year but you don't need to hit that because of the Tata Cliq voucher and if you are able to cross 1L/month, you get milestone points.

It's a no brainer card right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

I mean, get an Axis Magnus. You will most likely get it for FYF, even without it you will get a 10k Tata Cliq Voucher to compensate for the fees.

Fee waiver at 15L/year but you don't need to hit that because of the Tata Cliq voucher and if you are able to cross 1L/month, you get milestone points.

It's a no brainer card right now.

If anyone has a Magnus/HNI Axis card and is okay with dealing with Axis, then get the Axis Samsung Infinite card specifically for international spends. 15 points for every Rs. 100. The joining fees pays for itself because there is a Joining bonus of 30k points. But having HNI card is must along with the Samsung card otherwise the conversion to miles is sh*t. My friend has applied for it for his upcoming trip next month. 

I honestly would stick to HDFC and enroll for the Global Value Program. YMMV.

Edited by SuperT

4 minutes ago, SuperT said:

If anyone has a Magnus/HNI Axis card and is okay with dealing with Axis, then get the Axis Samsung Infinite card specifically for international spends. 15 points for every Rs. 100. The joining fees pays for itself because there is a Joining bonus of 30k points. But having HNI card is must along with the Samsung card otherwise the conversion to miles is sh*t. My friend has applied for it for his upcoming trip next month. 

I honestly would stick to HDFC and enroll for the Global Value Program. YMMV.

That's an option and many people do it, you never know when Axis pulls the plug on the aggregated bucket.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold 2 Axis cards just for the better RR. Samsung card has 3.5% markup + GST.

I can very well use Magnus and use forex to climb towards the milestone.

And if not Magnus then can get Reserve and take advantage of better RR on forex even if it is 1-2% lesser than what the combo yields.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been to Taipei ? Want to know how easy is it to use CC/DC, and how much cash to carry (not planning anything major) ? 

The rates are getting atrocious. Most exchanges don't have NTD, and the ones that do are charging 3.8 INR per NTD. 

Better to get converted in Taipei ?

On 4/7/2023 at 11:56 AM, KunjanPSD said:

Also please check whether Greece is a predominantly cash city or not. Many cities have not adapted CC usage as well ex: Japan.

Just got back from Japan. Cards work mostly everywhere, except maybe street vendors. Using Infinia instead of Forex card worked out well, though with Infinia the settled forex rate was fluctuating day to day, it was still never more than cash exchange rate. 

Also, using cards will be much more convenient wherever you can use them, or carrying and sorting yen coins will be a bitch. The only real exception to card usage was subway, metro and buses, but you should be getting a pass for them anyway. 

In fact, we came back with some leftover ?

It is, without a doubt, one of the best, most beautiful places on earth, a culture and people that should be experienced, and hands down the best toilets on the planet. 

1 hour ago, achilles said:

Just got back from Japan. Cards work mostly everywhere, except maybe street vendors. Using Infinia instead of Forex card worked out well, though with Infinia the settled forex rate was fluctuating day to day, it was still never more than cash exchange rate. 

Also, using cards will be much more convenient wherever you can use them, or carrying and sorting yen coins will be a bitch. The only real exception to card usage was subway, metro and buses, but you should be getting a pass for them anyway. 

It is, without a doubt, one of the best, most beautiful places on earth, a culture and people that should be experienced, and hands down the best toilets on the planet. 

How to book bullet train ? I'm trying to get from Osaka to Tokyo later this month, and I cant find official booking site. All 3rd party. 

55 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

How to book bullet train ? I'm trying to get from Osaka to Tokyo later this month, and I cant find official booking site. All 3rd party. 

So, Japan is archaic in a lot of ways. 

The best way, if you're going to travel a lot on bullet trains (Shinkansen), is to buy the JR pass. You can only do that before entering Japan, get a voucher which then you will exchange for a paper (!) pass which you'll have to keep for the duration of validity. It's quite shitty. To buy the pass, check the JR website for travel agents that do that for India. 

If you're not going to travel a lot, skip the pass. Shinkansen tickets are readily available at stations with automated consoles (cash only). Trains are also every 20 mins or so, so no issues there. Just reach the station 10 mins before time to get sorted with your tickets. Get there 20 mins before to also grab a beer/drink and a bento box to sit on the train and enjoy the meal. The train will arrive and depart to the second so have a few spare minutes. 

Usually the first three - five carriages are unreserved seating and the rest is reserved. You can reserve/pick your seat right when you're buying at the console. 

We were there at super peak season and we didn't have any seating or availability issue so you probably won't either. 

Aside, Osaka was so much fun man. If you like street food, Osaka is a street kitchen. Also, do go to the arcades at Dotonbori. There's one whose name I can't remember but they had a 4DX Walking Dead type shooting thing. Holy hell was that fun! Plus you'll see a Nintendo and Capcom centre at the mall (probably Daimor) right at Osaka station. 

I'm missing the place. I should write a travelogue. 

Edited by achilles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, achilles said:

So, Japan is archaic in a lot of ways. 

The best way, if you're going to travel a lot on bullet trains (Shinkansen), is to buy the JR pass. You can only do that before entering Japan, get a voucher which then you will exchange for a paper (!) pass which you'll have to keep for the duration of validity. It's quite shitty. To buy the pass, check the JR website for travel agents that do that for India. 

If you're not going to travel a lot, skip the pass. Shinkansen tickets are readily available at stations with automated consoles (cash only). Trains are also every 20 mins or so, so no issues there. Just reach the station 10 mins before time to get sorted with your tickets. Get there 20 mins before to also grab a beer/drink and a bento box to sit on the train and enjoy the meal. The train will arrive and depart to the second so have a few spare minutes. 

Usually the first three - five carriages are unreserved seating and the rest is reserved. You can reserve/pick your seat right when you're buying at the console. 

We were there at super peak season and we didn't have any seating or availability issue so you probably won't either. 

Aside, Osaka was so much fun man. If you like street food, Osaka is a street kitchen. Also, do go to the arcades at Dotonbori. There's one whose name I can't remember but they had a 4DX Walking Dead type shooting thing. Holy hell was that fun! Plus you'll see a Nintendo and Capcom centre at the mall (probably Daimor) right at Osaka station. 

I'm missing the place. I should write a travelogue. 

Thanks. I think I've to book one of those oversized seats. 

Unfortunately on a business trip. Will hardly have time for an outing. 

Edit: Also a vegetarian. Not sure what will I even get to eat. :rofl:

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

20 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Thanks. I think I've to book one of those oversized seats. 

Unfortunately on a business trip. Will hardly have time for an outing. 

Edit: Also a vegetarian. Not sure what will I even get to eat. :rofl:

You mean the Green Channel (first class). Yup, those are good. 

Man, we spent 15 days there and still felt we didn't cover much :P 

You might be in luck as a vegetarian, lots of vegan options all over now. Burger places will have veg options, cabbage is a big staple, and vegetable-only ramen options were also there. Okonomiyaki, a local Osaka delicacy was probably also available in veg. If all else fails, there's always sandwiches and cup ramen at 7-11 :D 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, achilles said:

Card is fine in relatively modern areas but if you are traveling deep into the country side, CC usage drops down quite a bit.

You can however use cash to get Suica cards for these.

Also JR pass prices are increasing by almost 70% in Oct, a huge bummer. Depending on your itinerary JR pass can be a great value but with the increased prices, maybe not.

I have been trying to take out 3 weeks for Japan but it doesn't look like it will be possible for this year because have another US trip. So hopefully next year.

Edited by KunjanPSD

11 minutes ago, achilles said:

You mean the Green Channel (first class). Yup, those are good. 

Man, we spent 15 days there and still felt we didn't cover much :P 

You might be in luck as a vegetarian, lots of vegan options all over now. Burger places will have veg options, cabbage is a big staple, and vegetable-only ramen options were also there. Okonomiyaki, a local Osaka delicacy was probably also available in veg. If all else fails, there's always sandwiches and cup ramen at 7-11 :D 

Not the green seats. Some lines have introduced special seats for extra baggage size (which earlier needed no special booking). Osaka to Tokyo is one of them. Only the last row of seats are available for extra large bags. 

24 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Not the green seats. Some lines have introduced special seats for extra baggage size (which earlier needed no special booking). Osaka to Tokyo is one of them. Only the last row of seats are available for extra large bags. 

Oh, okay. You can still keep your luggage in storage spaces at carriage ends. They have combination locks. The last seats have a bit of space to keep large bags too. There’s really not much to worry about. As most travel experiences to Japan will tell you, you won’t lose anything in Japan ?

Also how big a bag will you be carrying on a work trip bird?