The Travel Thread

MAK

Guys a friend of mine is heading to AUS for studies and has a 2 hr layover in Hong Kong, he asked if he need a visa to transit as he will be at the airport itself and not move out

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

Guys a friend of mine is heading to AUS for studies and has a 2 hr layover in Hong Kong, he asked if he need a visa to transit as he will be at the airport itself and not move out

I don't think so.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Snake said:

Not required

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dante77 said:

@Sach4life - Have you searched Hilton Garden Inn in Little India? It was around 28k for 2 people 4 nights when we went in 2017 Oct/Nov end. That is around 7k, which is close to your budget. 

Thanks man. Will keep an eye for it ^_^

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

@Sach4life - Have you searched Hilton Garden Inn in Little India? It was around 28k for 2 people 4 nights when we went in 2017 Oct/Nov end. That is around 7k, which is close to your budget. 

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

Thanks man. Will keep an eye for it ^_^

Hilton Garden goes for 15-18k a night now. Things have changed drastically post pandemic panty. :bash:

• Sad 1

@Sach4life When I stayed in Singapore, I stayed in a hotel called Orchid Country Club. It's a beautiful hotel that's very scenic, with amazing views, has it's own golf course, bowling lane, stores etc. attached. If you book early you might get rooms for 10k-13k range too. The scenery was extremely good, it was not congested as Little India tends to be. Try it. Not many people know about it I think. Though you might need taxis to move about from there (Though Distance between places is generally only 20 mins-45 mins by taxi, not long at all)

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g294265-d1531978-Reviews-Orchid_Country_Club-Singapore.html

On another note, if you're going to SG, remember that most of the country closes at around 9 (Other than essentials, medical stores etc.). Even restaurants will shut down (They'll start taking their last orders by 8 or so) - other than some restos in Mustafa Market/Little India. This is also true if you're somehow in Sentosa etc. (Only 1 resto near Night Safari was open, and all restos open in night I've seen were Punjabi or South Indian food). So if you're going there, ensure you'll start wrapping up by 6, having dinner by 6/7 and arranging for transport back to hotel early.

Edited by roun90

18 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@Sach4life When I stayed in Singapore, I stayed in a hotel called Orchid Country Club. It's a beautiful hotel that's very scenic, with amazing views, has it's own golf course, bowling lane, stores etc. attached. If you book early you might get rooms for 10k-13k range too. The scenery was extremely good, it was not congested as Little India tends to be. Try it. Not many people know about it I think. Though you might need taxis to move about from there (Though Distance between places is generally only 20 mins-45 mins by taxi, not long at all)

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g294265-d1531978-Reviews-Orchid_Country_Club-Singapore.html

On another note, if you're going to SG, remember that most of the country closes at around 9 (Other than essentials, medical stores etc.). Even restaurants will shut down (They'll start taking their last orders by 8 or so) - other than some restos in Mustafa Market/Little India. This is also true if you're somehow in Sentosa etc. (Only 1 resto near Night Safari was open, and all restos open in night I've seen were Punjabi or South Indian food). So if you're going there, ensure you'll start wrapping up by 6, having dinner by 6/7 and arranging for transport back to hotel early.

Thanks man, will check this hotel and keep these things in mind.

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Hilton Garden goes for 15-18k a night now. Things have changed drastically post pandemic panty. :bash:

Just checked on MMT. Shows 8k+2k tax. 10k is cheapest and around 12-15k average. Add convenience charges and falana dhimkama, then you're right. WTF :doh:

First flight cost and now this! Was thinking of travelling once again with wife but looking at the prices, I think I'll probably drop the idea lol

• Sad 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:28 AM, Sach4life said:

I will be going to Singapore for 4 days in the 1st week of September with my wife. It will be our first time there. Where should we be looking to stay and any suggestions for decent hotels in that area? Budget per night will be around 8-10K per night

Try Furama City Center, its located smack dab in the middle of Chinatown. Bus stations, and MRT station right downstairs - so super well connected. 

Chinatown is a good neighbourhood and has lots of cheap eats, and unlike Little India its all skyscrapers so gives you the quintessential Singapore experience. 

Clarke Quay is 5 mins away walking, there is a neat little bridge, and the river cruise takes off from there every every day which I recommend doing. Plus, there are a fair few indian restaurants along the river if you crave the same. 

Will probably be priced around 10-12K a night, stay was quite satisfactory for me. Stayed in December 2022. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Went to the tiny hamlet of Kasol, in Himachal Pradesh for a short holiday with the lads. 

Kasol is famous for, well, :fear1: Anyway, yeah rumours are well and true. Lots of drinking, smoking and partying. One can pretty much roll in the open, peddlars are everywhere to sell you all sorts of substances.  But this is a side benefit at best - Kasol and the neighbouring villages within Parvati Valley are an absolute treat for the eyes and one hell of a sight to take in. Also, its super easy to access via bus from Delhi. Redbus has a lot of super comfortable options, can recommend for a friends trip. 

Just including some pictures here. Can post more details or answer questions if needed!

img%5D      img%5D

• Like 8

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Where can I eat lunch at if i have a flight that lands at Delhi terminal 3 and goes off at terminal 1 within 5 hours ?

Also, Srinagar and gulmarg places to eat ?

T1 has eateries post security check. Not sure about lounges. 
Also 5 hours is ample time to go to Aerocity food plaza and back. 

• 2 weeks later...

First Trek : Kashmir Great Lakes (13715 feet)

About 6 day trek and everyone's watch showed about 95-100 kms.

Huge muscle/weight loss of 5 kgs as well in the 7 days of trek.

Had trouble sleeping at night, claustrophobia in the small tent and sleeping bag,

but other than that

Felt easy to me physically except the last day which had mostly descent throughout, that was the only day my knees were feeling it.

Nice hybrid and a very beautiful scenic trek which had all of it : Rains, muddy paths,mountains, snow, streams, open meadows, stony paths, beautiful lakes and forests.

I find this the cheapest form of travel/vacation if one is fit, really therapeutic and detachment from reality. 

Only if the food served was better.

Also, started hailing at the peak point of the trek and don't know whenever it starts raining my inner child wants to get shirtless, so managed to snap a pic as well.

Screenshot-2023-07-14-16-21-00-33-6012fa

Also, credits to 

@eddy4823

From whom I got to know about this trek and some help as well.

IMG-6155.jpgIMG-6604.jpgIMG20230703100403.jpg 

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 8