[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

45 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

So, i'm thinking upgrading just my GPU as i feel my 970 has come to retire. I have chosen two options: 1080ti or 2060 super (considering the CPU i have which is i7 4770k). I would have chosen 3060ti but unfortunately CPU will bottleneck it. 

1080ti is a difficult card to source out as its not in production nor many ppl selling it at the moment whereas 2060 super is kinda available but i believe its a bit underpowered compared to 1080ti especially on VRAM (correct me if i'm wrong). Which one should i hunt for or should i choose something else all together? Whichever i buy i'll be keeping it for atleast a couple of years so wanted to know which one to go for.

Go for 2060 Super:You get lower power consumption + RT cores. I also went from 970 to 2060S. Its a good upgrade. 

Edited by dylanjosh

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

What is your GPU? 

1080Ti don't offer Ray Tracing if that is something you need. 2060S offers RT but I won't expect good performance (maybe doable at 30fps).

If both are same priced, I would go for 1080Ti and play without RT at 60fps+.

If you want RT and okay with 30FPS (60fps without RT but still slower than 1080Ti), go for 2060S.

Likely very hard to get new 1080Ti. Even if you manage to find one, it will be expensive.

I don't like buying 2nd hand product. Even more without warranty. 

Personally I would get 3060Ti and upgrade CPU later. 

My current GPU is GTX 970. RT on 2060 super is not possible with high fps cause its a low end card. New 1080ti is just not available anywhere here so have to look for a second hand one. I have a 1080p res monitor 60 Hz. Will i notice RT on it? If i upgrade my CPU i have to upgrade even mobo maybe RAM as well. Currently i'm on a budget so only thing i can upgrade is GPU now.  

Typo. I meant CPU.

I don't know if it is worth buying a used GPU. Anything goes south and you will be losing money on it. Rather get new 2060S or even better if you buy 3060Ti.

2060S is good for 1080p/60fps. 3060Ti can do 1440p to 4K (in some games). 

3060Ti will have a longer life and better value. I don't think it will bottleneck heavily. Plus, you can also increase to higher res, put more load on GPU to free up CPU from bottlenecking heavily. 

8 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Typo. I meant CPU.

I don't know if it is worth buying a used GPU. Anything goes south and you will be losing money on it. Rather get new 2060S or even better if you buy 3060Ti.

2060S is good for 1080p/60fps. 3060Ti can do 1440p to 4K (in some games). 

3060Ti will have a longer life and better value. I don't think it will bottleneck heavily. Plus, you can also increase to higher res, put more load on GPU to free up CPU from bottlenecking heavily. 

CPU is 4770K and mobo is MSI Z87-GD65 gaming

10 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

CPU is 4770K and mobo is MSI Z87-GD65 gaming

There is always a bottleneck. Doesn't matter what CPU/GPU.

1080Ti/2060S/3060Ti, any newer card will bottleneck with that CPU. 

But since you will be playing on 60Hz monitor, you will be fine in most of the games (AC and few mp games might give some trouble but otherwise mostly fine). 

Trouble in the sense you it won't be stable 60 but drop few fps at times / 100 CPU load. Try overclocking since you have K processor if you want better result.  

If 3060Ti is in similar price range of 2060S (or slightly higher and fits in budget), go for it. 

If the price is way higher than the budget, go with 2060S. New 1080Ti is no chance and buying used isn't worth without any warranty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Cool said:

There is always a bottleneck. Doesn't matter what CPU/GPU.

1080Ti/2060S/3060Ti, any newer card will bottleneck with that CPU. 

But since you will be playing on 60Hz monitor, you will be fine in most of the games (AC and few mp games might give some trouble but otherwise mostly fine). 

Trouble in the sense you it won't be stable 60 but drop few fps at times / 100 CPU load. Try overclocking since you have K processor if you want better result.  

If 3060Ti is in similar price range of 2060S (or slightly higher and fits in budget), go for it. 

If the price is way higher than the budget, go with 2060S. New 1080Ti is no chance and buying used isn't worth without any warranty. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

22 hours ago, The Panda said:

Hey! Please recommend me a UPS that will give me around 1 min of backup time when I am gaming. Since I play at 4K, I think the usage will be very high.

My PC specs to measure power consumption:

Power Supply: 750W (Cooler Master)

CPU: Ryzen 1700

GPU: RTX 3070

Thank you!

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

input everything asked here

brand apc variants are there 1100va - 660w n upper variants buy as per ur need

whatever u buy  go bigger than power supply 

right now i m using apc 660w ups n psu is 620 seasonic

i m not getting backup if my his 480 connected

plus buy offline n take ur pc with u test it

my two ups wasted due to this

get sin wave ups/inverter i read somewhere

Edited by Defender487

3 hours ago, Defender487 said:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

input everything asked here

brand apc variants are there 1100va - 660w n upper variants buy as per ur need

whatever u buy  go bigger than power supply 

right now i m using apc 660w ups n psu is 620 seasonic

i m not getting backup if my his 480 connected

plus buy offline n take ur pc with u test it

my two ups wasted due to this

get sin wave ups/inverter i read somewhere

If I have to go bigger than my PSU, then I have to buy a 860W UPS which seems to cost more than 15K on Amazon. We already have an inverter but it takes around 10 seconds to kick in and my current UPS can't handle the load even for 5 secs due to high usage while gaming. I don't know. Maybe I have to find a way to reduce the kick in time of my inverter.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:45 PM, Agent 47 said:

So, i'm thinking upgrading just my GPU as i feel my 970 has come to retire. I have chosen two options: 1080ti or 2060 super (considering the CPU i have which is i7 4770k). I would have chosen 3060ti but unfortunately CPU will bottleneck it. 

1080ti is a difficult card to source out as its not in production nor many ppl selling it at the moment whereas 2060 super is kinda available but i believe its a bit underpowered compared to 1080ti especially on VRAM (correct me if i'm wrong). Which one should i hunt for or should i choose something else all together? Whichever i buy i'll be keeping it for atleast a couple of years so wanted to know which one to go for.

Get 3060 ti.

Whatever you have your CPU will bottleneck it in those open world games.

better go for the spanking new VFM card that is 3060 ti.

You can upgrade cpu/mobo/ram later

21 hours ago, The Panda said:

If I have to go bigger than my PSU, then I have to buy a 860W UPS which seems to cost more than 15K on Amazon. We already have an inverter but it takes around 10 seconds to kick in and my current UPS can't handle the load even for 5 secs due to high usage while gaming. I don't know. Maybe I have to find a way to reduce the kick in time of my inverter.

luminous sine wave inverter then which 5.5k on amazon

• 3 weeks later...

Idk if my speakers died or my line out port died but my speakers are not turning on. It's a logitech z313 set. I had connected the green 3.5mm wire to the same green color line out port. Is there a 3.5mm device that i can connect to this port and see if it is working ?

I don't have another pc/laptop or tv to check the speakers. Idk if connecting those speakers on a 3.5mm port of mobile is aafe so for now should i just check the port only?

https://i.ibb.co/pjc7Swq/20210108-162103.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk