ASUS ROG Ally

23 minutes ago, Snake said:

Whats the price and battery life on this?

Didnt see it in any video

This, the steam deck already has a passable battery life. I hope it has decent battery. 

Price - There have been 'leaks' that suggest the price will be as follows:

512GB – $649

1TB – $899

Not bad at all to be honest if true. 

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

This, the steam deck already has a passable battery life. I hope it has decent battery. 

Price - There have been 'leaks' that suggest the price will be as follows:

512GB – $649

1TB – $899

Not bad at all to be honest if true. 

with a 120hz oled screen, battery life is the only concern 

• 4 months later...

I got a ROG Ally a week or so ago and thought I would share my initial impressions/findings for anyone who is considering it:

• Handles emulation really well even at the 10w silent mode setting.
  • Display is sharp and audio is great.
  • I found the RGB lighting gimmicky and turned it off on the second day.
  • The controller/layout of the device is very comfortable to for gaming. Going back to the Xbox elite controller after using it for a while felt like a slight downgrade.
  • After playing for several hours, the device can get hot around the vents. However, the areas where you hold the device don't get hot.
  • Death Stranding (only AAA game I tried) works really well in the 15w mode. Resolution was set to 720p and all other in-game settings maxed out.
  • Death Stranding works well at 1080p as well with all settings maxed out in 30w mode (i.e., connected to power supply).
  • Was able to connect to TV via USB hub and play games using the Xbox elite controller.
  • Was not able to bind Xbox elite controller paddles to keyboard shortcuts when connected via Bluetooth. Paddles can be used to trigger keyboard shortcuts when connected via USB.
  • Navigating Windows using the built-in controller is difficult but can be done as it can work like a mouse and has a few macro keys. Navigating via the touchscreen is somewhat easier. Navigating windows via the Xbox elite controller is next to impossible.
  • A phone can be used as a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard to navigate Windows via 3rd party software if required. I usually do this to tinker with Windows when the device is connected to the TV.
  • Remote desktop is not available in the home version of windows that came along with the device. Teamviewer can be used as an alternative.
  • The native game launcher (Armoury Crate) is quite buggy (e.g., once in a while it doesn't recognise controller input).
  • Took a long time to set it up. Certainly not as easy as a Switch or XSX. Still not sure if I have setup things like Radeon RSR correctly. Reminded me why I stopped gaming on Windows in the first place.
  • Battery life is poor. Max 1.5-2 hrs on Death Stranding. For less taxing games, maybe 3-4 hrs.
  • Very few options for accessories like cases and docks available in Amazon/Flipkart.
  • Overall, very impressed by what the little device could achieve.
  • Like 2