Gaming PCs

AtheK

Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.3k. ( its a quad core)

MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 DDR3 @ 4.6k

2GB Transcend DDR 3 -1333 MHZ @2.6k

Gigabyte Superb 460w @ 2.1k

Sapphure HD4850 512 mb -- 6.9k

total--> 21.5 k

its 1.5 k overbudget but you can offset that by getting the gpu secondhand as many people are selling it to get 58xx series cards .But those cards are overkill for ur need and budget.

For better advice or more choices create a thread here -- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/

in this format --http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/template-what-should-i-buy-use-143714.html

please refrain from posting , when some1 is asking for advice and you dont know sh*t about .

The config I have posted is superior to ps3 and has components that are'nt even cutting edge.

Nemo as I said go post abt it in techenclave and do lil bit more research and decide for urself .But I think 20k is very decent budget for gaming as most of the games being console ports come with hidden advantage of requiring very low resources and ur rig while not being state of art it will last more than 2-3 years which was not the case earlier.

Ask afty ,tyler, or helio , all of them have 8800 series cards which 3 years old and still going strong .

again gaurav , not everyone needs an intel i7 and gtx295 or 5970 for that matter .. :(:fear:

I think this is as good as it can get an advice in that budget. It is a good buy for now as well has a good upgrade path if you get some money later on to upgrade components. Go for it, Nemo :cry:

Edit: @gaurav: John's config is very good at upgrade options. You can replace almost any part with ease later on without needing to replace any dependencies.

Edited by Shantz

What's up with you? Got up on the wrong side of the bed? You'd know that I don't advocate throwing down on the latest and best hardware if you ever read my posts on previous pages.

I'm not saying obsolete as in NON-USABLE... I meant non-upgradeable. Problem with me is that when getting a new pc i always think "future upgradability" rather than "just working is enough".

Know that I'm still using my 6750 + 8800 GTX config and its running pretty good and going great even now. What I'm saying is he doesn't need to go buy immediately when there's a whole new wave of stuff bound to release on the newer platforms. Then he take his time and decided which processor maker and more specifically which socket to go for etc.

But there's another thing, somehow if he's anyway gonna use this only as a basic rig, he might as well get 3gb or 4gb of DDR2 rather than 2gb of DDR3 for now and get a motherboard that only supports this.

EDIT: I gotta say though, that AMD processor you've included is a nice find.

And for your record, I said NO to a free Q8650 processor from my sis-in-law cos I didn't really need it (also cos my dad would have scolded me like hell if I'd said yes :( )

erm .. read the post of yours that I quoted , you did say that there is no hope at that budget. And no .. I woke up the right side of bed , its just that I am bit grumpy in afternoon :cry: .

go f**k yourself a**hole. All I did was post my advice, take your huge head out of ur ego a*s.

Well that was enlightening and .. entertaining!

But this and that earlier post doesnt count as an advice . When someone is asking about what configuration he should get for 20k budget to which you replied get a music system .. bravo!! :fear: .

And this post goes on to show who has got ego issue.

Edit-typos.. :\

Edited by john117

erm .. read the post of yours that I quoted , you did say that there is no hope at that budget. And no .. I woke up the right side of bed , its just that I am bit grumpy in afternoon :D .

Well that was enlightening and .. entertaining!

But this and that earlier post doesnt count as an advice . When someone is asking about what configuration he should get for 20k budget to which replied get a music system .. bravo!! :roflroll: .

And this post goes on to show who has got ego issue.

:wallbash:

Edit: @gaurav: John's config is very good at upgrade options. You can replace almost any part with ease later on without needing to replace any dependencies.

The processor too? What about Intel having the best processors as of now and the Gulftown chips being in the works... (I mean from a "he might have lotsa cash to spend at a later date and he won't be able to change the processor at that time then" kinda standpoint). Unless the plan is to go AMD-only. Still I think he should just wait for a few months if he's not in a hurry.

And no slot to add another GPU btw.

@the grumpy spartan

I said last several pages, not my last post.

But this and that earlier post doesnt count as an advice . When someone is asking about what configuration he should get for 20k budget to which you replied get a music system .. bravo!! :roflroll: .

the context was "gaming". And I didn't say music system, i said 5.1 speaker system to connect to the PS3.

The processor too? What about Intel having the best processors as of now and the Gulftown chips being in the works... (I mean from a "he might have lotsa cash to spend at a later date and he won't be able to change the processor at that time then" kinda standpoint). Unless the plan is to go AMD-only. Still I think he should just wait for a few months if he's not in a hurry.

hehe if you think that way then when hes gonna have cash to blow , then ,why he will remain strapped to an old rig ,just scrap it and get a new one. At present, as you said, apart from single gpu slot it doesnt have any limitation and frankly SLI/crossfire have always been clumsy coz of the drivers and game compatibility issues you can always get better experience (peace of mind + performance) from single powerful card then 2 mid power cards in sli/cf .

@the grumpy spartan

Ok read that and point taken :roflroll:

@the grumpy spartan

The processor is always upgradable in the same brand because they use different sockets. And as of now AMD provides the best options if you are looking for "gaming". Infact, upgrading with intel processors is a pain because their newer procs tend to use newer non-backward compatible sockets which require changing the mother board as well. If you look at AMD procs, even the current greatest procs can be paired with quite old mobos. John's config has an AM3 mobo which will definitely work with newer AMD procs for quite a few years given their track record till date with previous sockets. With intel, whatever mobo you buy today, might not even be compatible with next year's procs.

Adding another GPU is also a point of debate because I think a good single GPU always outperforms two SLI-crossfire'd inferior GPUs, not to mention much more saving on power and heat. And anyways, it won't give you a lot of benefit if you just wanted to pair a latest and greatest GPU with your current GPU (might not even work). If he gets 5-10k extra 6-7 months down the line, he can pop in a better gfx card easily and sell out the current one he has.

Plus, when you are thinking of upgrading, you still think of your budget, because it can't be like today you want a PC for 20k and after few months suddenly you are able to buy one for 70k. So, keeping that also in mind, that his upgrades are going to be a bit restrictive, this again provides better upgrade options.

Basically, the point is what he wants to know is "gaming on budget" with "upgradability on budget". Otherwise, you need to suggest to him a config he can hope to buy after waiting for 2-3 months as you mention, that can hugely outperform the one mentioned by John and have good upgradibility assuming he gets 30-35 k instead of 20k from his parents.

the context was "gaming". And I didn't say music system, i said 5.1 speaker system to connect to the PS3.

And did you look at the games he wanted to play? Those are not available on PS3 lol, so all he can do with PS3 and new 5.1 speaker system (which he already has btw), would be to watch videos of those games from someone else's playthrough...

But yeah, it would sound awesome :roflroll:

And did you look at the games he wanted to play? Those are not available on PS3 lol, so all he can do with PS3 and new 5.1 speaker system (which he already has btw), would be to watch videos of those games from someone else's playthrough...

But yeah, it would sound awesome :roflroll:

yeah, ok. But would u recommend buying a PC spending 20k for playing a couple of games ? I would not. I feel, its better to have a 1 good gaming system which gives the best experience. Again that's subjective. And, its upto Nemo. I just offered my advice, fail to understand what's the big deal about it ? If you have something better, put forth, but why mock someone else's ?

hehe if you think that way then when hes gonna have cash to blow , then ,why he will remain strapped to an old rig ,just scrap it and get a new one. At present, as you said, apart from single gpu slot it doesnt have any limitation and frankly SLI/crossfire have always been clumsy coz of the drivers and game compatibility issues you can always get better experience (peace of mind + performance) from single powerful card then 2 mid power cards in sli/cf .

Ok read that and point taken :roflroll:

I can never bring myself to give up my old 8800GTX (render it useless and get a new card) though.. guess i'm just too sentimental about it :D

Without two x16 slots, I can't just put in a new card either. If however I had one different higher end card, what I'd do is make that the primary GPU and make this card process all the PhysX stuff. :wallbash:

Edited by Gaurav - Solitaire

Basically, the point is what he wants to know is "gaming on budget" with "upgradability on budget". Otherwise, you need to suggest to him a config he can hope to buy after waiting for 2-3 months as you mention, that can hugely outperform the one mentioned by John and have good upgradibility assuming he gets 30-35 k instead of 20k from his parents.

Of its upgradability on budget then john has nailed it. But what I'm saying is from the "intel being undecided on 1156 vs 1366" standpoint. So if you wait a few months that would clear up but as I said I agree this is the best if you're going AMD for now.

EDIT: I must say I've been a bit less interested and hence less informed on AMD's offerings (maybe cos they changed only from AM2+ to AM3 I was under the impression they didn't have any really new processors) ever since the days when I got my e6750 (price drop rendered my processor the best bet at that time against all the other AMDs too). Will keep a closer eye on them from now on :)

Edited by Gaurav - Solitaire

Here are some native resolutions supported by monitors:

* 17-19": 1280x1024 (SXGA)

* 20"+: 1600x1200 (UXGA)

* 17" (Widescreen): 1280x800 (WXGA)

* 19" (Widescreen): 1440x900 (WXGA+)

* 22" (Widescreen): 1680x1050 (WSXGA+)

* 23.6" (Widescreen): 1920x1080 (WUXGA)

* 23" (Ultra-Widescreen): 2048x1152 (QWXGA)

* 24" (Widescreen): 1920x1200 (WUXGA)

* 30" (Widescreen): 2560x1600

As you can see usually 22" monitor wont get you any res above 1680X1050...which is ALMOST HD...I suggest go for Dell 24" monitor which as 1920X1200 res and retails for around 13-15k.

Ive heard of some 22" monitors that support more than the native res given above...but that would cost you a lot. There is a Toshiba one that has 3000 something res...your best bet is expanding the budget to another 2-3 k and going for a 24"...you wont regret it.

^^Bad idea.

I would think twice about getting a full HD monitor. You are gonna need more than a 4850 to play games at 1080p. If you are going to get a graphics card that fits in your budget stick with a 22 incher tops.

Are you sure? I dont think that would work. I mean aside from the UE3 games I dont know much that will run at 1080p on a 4850 and lower unless you really gimp out on the texture details, AA and V sync.

And if you are cutting down on those things whats the point of playing it on the PC? Might as well get the console verion.