Facebook to buy Oculus Rift for $2 Billion

Yes that might happen, but I don't think they'll make it their "only" purpose.... of course everything depends on how good these purported VR games are in reality !! If it does generate a significant revenue for them, I dont see why they would let it die....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oculus Rift pledged 250K for their project and we gave them whopping $2.5M. People believed that OR is going to change gaming future. We delivered the funds so that they're able to deliver the product. And it was good. It also sounded like it was about to get a whole lot better.

Also this guy notch, was he really expecting oculus to sustain operating with dollars from donations mainly by enthusiasts

YES! Early development kits were selling like hot cakes. More than 75,000 kits were sold within a week after announcement. That's $25M profit right there and it's way more than enough for development.

You can't pretend you want an evolution in the gaming world only then to allow some monstrous corporation to buy you out who doesn't give a sh*t about gaming unless they can charge for it.

This is how real supporters and backers feel:

Well.. I feel highly disappointed in backing and trying to contribute what I can in something I believed in. Regardless of the PR fluff.. I don't believe facebook to be the anywhere close to the right company to be behind this, and clearly not many others do either. We all feel let down by what appears to be a money grab.

Way to sell yourselves out and screw the trust you had in people. I'm looking forward to what sony has to offer.

I'm out of words...It was fun while it lasted, guys. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

That's really disappointment. Please don't make this happen.

If Facebook were just passionate about VR and just wanted to make sure it existed, they' have donated $x million dollars, no power over you, just a financial help. But now you belong to them, if they had no intention to change the company and it's future, they wouldn't have bought you. You can't possibly believe they won't have their own input to the project, somewhere down the line there will be some similar to that historic day google bought YouTube. What a massacre that was. R.I.P youtube, R.I.P OculusVR.

I will forever treasure my DK1 as my "pre-Facebook oculus"

Ladies and gentlemen, the worst collaberation in history has been revealed! Way to enter the book of records! So glad i didnt order DK2. Hope it flops badly. Down to Sony now.

This may be how you build a successful money-printing company but this is not what the backers wanted or expected. We wanted you to be free and do right by us. Do what you said you would, create the best, affordable VR Headset while staying afloat as a company. You were doing fine, weren't you? Was this really necessary? With Facebook holding the reigns how could I ever trust you people again. I regret giving money to you just for an ending like this... What a disgrace... I guess greed wins out in the end.

Grab your 2 billion dollars, spend the whole money on buying the world's largest dildo and shove it up your a*s. I am quitting this.

I'm disappointed. Facebook is literally the worst possible company that could have bought Oculus, even EA would have been less shocking. In one single move they've alienated the very core audience of early adopters that would have propelled CV1 into the critical mass of popularity. All goodwill has been lost and everything the now say will be suspect.

Imagine how KS campaign would have went if anyone knew they'd get involved with Facebook. There would have been no OR. If Facebook wanted to show their interest, they would have help OR guys in the beginning and not when niche clicked.

Shame!

_

Edit:

6:02 "...Building the knowledge economy, that's really about building future technology platforms. And we now have Oculus joining us, which long term can be one of the next important computing platforms. And of course we will continue to focus on our extremely important work on building out our advertising platform as well as part of this. So with this in place, you should now have a clearer view of what our full strategy looks like over the next 3, 5, and 10 years."

Yeah.Great!

The dream is dead, what a shitty news to wake up to.

John Carmack how could you?

My exact reaction.

Once again, Carmack is aimless with pockets full of cash.

I dont want advertisements thrown to my face, Also Facebook didn't pay 2 billion dollars to this guy,they only paid about 43 million and the rest was stock. Contrast this to them paying 20 billion to whatsapp plus stock options (if im not mistaken)

What a sell out :lol: They didnt know the value of what they were sitting on, and thanks to Facebook they never will

^^ they paid 16 billion to whatsapp based on the no. of users using that app during the time of purchase, which was around 300-400 million, so around $40 per user, is how they arrived at $16 Billion .... not because whatsapp was better company than oculus ....

and while you are comparing , FB even bought a company that makes solar powered drones for a measly (in comparison) $60 million .... go figure !

These companies are not sellouts or that they were bought in for cheap, its just that market valuation in today's day and age are quite exorbitant for social apps / services .... for some weird reason !

Valuation for fb itself is around $170 billion or so, when it only has annual revenues of around $4 billion or so per year ....

I don't this is as bad a news as people are making it out to be and i dont think that facebook has bought this for increasing their users or something like that. This is a matter of diversifying their portfolio so that they have something to back upon once facebook starts going down in numhers (if). They don't want a situation of myspace. I don't see them forcing the or's developers to go away from games. It is gonna be ok.

Ahh you guys. Gotta agree with Notch on this. Source:

All FB is interested in is the user base. Gaming isn't a focus when it's a numbers game. Look at every company that made money on social games a few years back, they're either hemorrhaging or got picked up by bigger companies and were gutted like fish, if they didn't adopt to mobile that is.

The way I see this going down, at best there's a slew of core content with FB as the platform. The moment it fails to attract new users, FB will move on to the next big thing.

Yes, because Notch is a model of common sense. Let's also ask Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow what they think so we can get more common sense arguments.

Oculus has NO user base for FB to go after; just developers with dev kits.

You assume that when a company buys another company, its so they can integrate what they bought into what they already have. But not everyone buys gold for jewellery or real estate to build a home. It's an investment. In this case, an investment in a company that will hopefully make Facebook a lot more money in the future. They don't need to build VR into Facebook to do that.

Facebook also acquired Instagram and Whatsapp. These are both services that could have been deeply integrated into Facebook, and (at least to my knowledge since I don't use Instagram) these are still as they were, so I'd like to think Oculus has an even better chance of being autonomous.

This is different. Read Zuckerberg's take on it.

Maybe you didn't read this part

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

As for the logo thing, it is from an unnamed source that said it will "eventually" get the logo. By then it could even be that the device with the Facebook logo could be a different one than the Rift - one that is cheaper and designed for less graphic-intensive use.

All I'm saying is that as things stand, VR has a whole lot to prove and it has more doubters than supporters. The financial backing of Facebook will give it a better chance of getting off the ground.

^^ :good: Hopefully, Oculus does get to continue work on their current VR headset and we have a consumer version next year.

Whatsapp and Instagram were bought by Facebook too, but it looks like there haven't been any particular changes to either service for the worse. Fingers crossed about Oculus.

Here's an AMA by Palmer Luckey (Oculus co-founder) on Reddit. It's funny how people are just downvoting his responses for no reason.

Also, here's an RPS interview with him just discussing the Oculus Rift unrelated to the acquisition. Looks like a pretty good interview.

Edit: A comment by Palmer about the acquisition in response to someone's disappointment.

I am sorry that you are disappointed. To be honest, if I were you, I would probably have a similar initial impression! There are a lot of reasons why this is a good thing, many of which are not yet public. A lot of people obviously feel the same way you do, so I definitely want to address your points:

The appeal of Oculus (as compared to Sony, for example) is because it is on a PC platform, and thus allows us, the developers, freedom over what we want to do with it.

None of that will change. Oculus continues to operate independently! We are going to remain as indie/developer/enthusiast friendly as we have always been, if not more so. This deal lets us dedicate a lot of resources to developer relations, technical help, engine optimizations, and our content investment/publishing/sales platform. We are not going to track you, flash ads at you, or do anything invasive.

The Rift is absolutely targeted towards the gaming population, which tends to be teenage to early 20s/30s, which is the exact population that Facebook is currently losing. By partnering with Facebook, you are gaining access to a massive userbase of people that the rift is not targeted towards, which people might feel is a very bad move.

Almost everyone at Oculus is a gamer, and virtual reality will certainly be led by the games industry, largely because it is the only industry that already has the talent and tools required to build awesome interactive 3D environments. In the long run, though, there are going to be a lot of other industries that use VR in huge ways, ways that are not exclusive to gamers; the current focus on gaming is a reflection of the current state of VR, not the long term potential. Education, communication, training, rehabilitation, gaming and film are all going to be major drivers for VR, and they will reach a very wide audience. We are not targeting social media users, we are targeting everyone who has a reason to use VR.

What we fear is not that Oculus will be partnering with Facebook, but that you are selling out the company to Facebook and no longer retain control over Oculus. I can say that I, personally, support Oculus because I believed in the goals and visions that you had.

This acquisition/partnership gives us more control of our destiny, not less! We don't have to compromise on anything, and can afford to make decisions that are right for the future of virtual reality, not our current revenue. Keep in mind that we already have great partners who invested heavily in Oculus and got us to where we are, so we have not had full control of our destiny for some time. Facebook believes in our long term vision, and they want us to continue executing on our own roadmap, not control what we do. I would never have done this deal if it meant changing our direction, and Facebook has a good track record of letting companies work independently post-acquisition.

There is a lot of related good news on the way. I am swamped right now, but I do plan on addressing everyone's concerns. I think everyone will see why this is so incredible when the big picture is clear.

Source: Reddit comment

All I'm saying is that as things stand, VR has a whole lot to prove and it has more doubters than supporters. The financial backing of Facebook will give it a better chance of getting off the ground.

It already did get off the ground. With the 2.5 million dollars people gave to the makers assuming they were going to stay independent and open. One of those is already dead. The other will be dead in a couple of years.

If they really wanted the financial backing of a megacorp then they should have gone with that instead of rolling with the Kickstarter.

Edit As far as Instagram and Whatsapp are concerned, thats like saying EA buying studios is a good thing because look at Bioware and Dice. Besides both IG and WA fit into Facebooks business model so they dont need re-tuning. OR does. And you can bet it will have it.

Sure gaming is the focus. For now. In a year or two from now? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Facebook (or any other company) would NEVER drop 2 Billion just to get a shot at a niche market. Its focus will change towards all that social connectivity that Facebook loves. They are saying so themselves.

At best this is a short term status quo and a long term loss for gaming. At worst, a complete loss.

Archived