Yakuza 0

Shadoken

5 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

I'm actually having a hard time deciding which to play next between Yakuza 0 and A Plague Tale: Innocence which I haven't played as well.

Save A Plague Tale: Innocence for later when the sequel is out. You can probably play them back-to-back. The sequel comes out in October, so by then, you can easily finish Yakuza 0. 

Edited by Ethan_Hunt
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, roun90 said:

@PhantomShade Don't forget to do the Side-Missions/Sub-Missions. They are the best in the series, and really fun and hilarious. Many times they are better than the main story itself, and an amazing distraction from the melodramatic main story. Even the mini-games have their own side stories. Best part - many times the side stories even grow in between titles (So for example, you start a side-story in Yakuza 0 and finish it - the NPC's story continues in Yakuza Kiwami and then at Kiwani 2 etc. all the way to Yakuza 6. Even Side NPCs have character development. Each title also introduces new Side Missions and new NPCs as well of course). Also, definitely don't forget to do the Hostess Club, Real Estate and Pocket Circuit Fighter mini-games.

Yes I did like 10 during the Kiryu part, mainly to kill time for payouts acquire folks for the real estate minigame, beat the Leisure King before moving onto Chapter 11

Hostess Club is so much work though, doesn't net in that much cash either.

I'm currently doing the SHOOREH PIPPI cult side quest as Majima, idk what rewards it gives but just doing it for the memes.

I've found most of these sidequests have some kind of twist like the girl who her boyfriend suspects is selling herself is selling panties instead :rofl:

or the videogame one where the yakuza who steals the game ends up being the boy's father 

btw how to start the pocket circuit fighter thing? i've seen cars and parts for sale so i think it's some rc racing mini game?

16 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Right so confession time... I have never played a single Yakuza game, EVER! :fear1:

Having said that... I was thinking having finished STRAY (absolutely loved it!) should I sink my teeth into Yakuza 0 (PC version)? Heard and read such great things about this series.

Yes, it's a one of a kind game, may not have besto graphics but it has soul.

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Yup, I'll be playing with my trusty Xbox One controller on PC. :)

I'm actually having a hard time deciding which to play next between Yakuza 0 and A Plague Tale: Innocence which I haven't played as well.

Y0 is a long, time consuming game.  Just some the cut scenes take like 10-15 mins or more.  If you're in a rush, this may not be the right game to pick up. IMO, games like these needs to be given enough time and only then can one enjoy it truly.  

In the series, I've played only Y0 and Y: like a dragon, both were long and time consuming, but they were some of the best video games I've played so far.  Y:Like a dragon is literally in my top 10 games of all time !!

Edited by Ne0
  • Like 1

I'm on chapter 14 now and was doing the real estate thing, stuck on the Tranny King's area properties even though i've purchased all of them, are the other 2 Kings also so grindy?

Also do the next chapters have free roam as Majima( I need to get a zap gun to farm mr shakedown ) ?

On 8/20/2022 at 3:06 PM, PhantomShade said:

Hostess Club is so much work though, doesn't net in that much cash either.

I'm currently doing the SHOOREH PIPPI cult side quest as Majima, idk what rewards it gives but just doing it for the memes.

Stick with the Hostess club - after completing it you unlock Majima's top fight style Mad dog of Shimano.. which is amazing . 

Shoored Pippi was funny as hell - don't think it gave any meaningful rewards . 

So disposed of the Gambling King also, only media king remains

Any sure shot strategies to get 3x strike turkey in Mach Bowl? seems random af, I want the bowling place and the chicken manager reward so bad
nvm just did this, got the chicken and Mach Bowl property which sadly doesn't give enough $$$ :(

Edited by PhantomShade

12 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

So disposed of the Gambling King also, only media king remains

Any sure shot strategies to get 3x strike turkey in Mach Bowl? seems random af, I want the bowling place and the chicken manager reward so bad
nvm just did this, got the chicken and Mach Bowl property which sadly doesn't give enough $$$ :(

You really don't need that much money if you're just focusing on completing the main story (or even the side ones). This is the only Yakuza game where you could literally cross the Trillion Yen mark. The only thing you'd need money is if you plan to keep upgrading your combat styles for both characters. Those upgrades are not just expensive but very tedious in terms of the unlocking animation; probably one of the worst upgrade methods in the entire series. 

Have you got the requirements in place for Mr. Shakedown farm? 

1 hour ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

You really don't need that much money if you're just focusing on completing the main story (or even the side ones). This is the only Yakuza game where you could literally cross the Trillion Yen mark. The only thing you'd need money is if you plan to keep upgrading your combat styles for both characters. Those upgrades are not just expensive but very tedious in terms of the unlocking animation; probably one of the worst upgrade methods in the entire series. 

Have you got the requirements in place for Mr. Shakedown farm? 

Yes I mainly want to wrap up the real estate thing for the [ Dragon of Dojima ] style plus the cash to unlock stuff in the other 3 styles also no I don't have the zap gun or slime gun for mr shakedown farm, probably in next chapter, i'm on 14 now, I've heard you get something called a spicy knife through a kiryu substory, the heat attacks on that are good for killing mr shakedown apparently

Also don't have the 1.5x more money CP upgrade for mr shakedown, blew my CP on maxing the payout speed for real estate

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

Yes I mainly want to wrap up the real estate thing for the [ Dragon of Dojima ] style plus the cash to unlock stuff in the other 3 styles also no I don't have the zap gun or slime gun for mr shakedown farm, probably in next chapter, i'm on 14 now, I've heard you get something called a spicy knife through a kiryu substory, the heat attacks on that are good for killing mr shakedown apparently

Also don't have the 1.5x more money CP upgrade for mr shakedown, blew my CP on maxing the payout speed for real estate

For CP, I'd say go hit some easy peasy mini-games, eat at restaurants, perform multiple heat actions etc. How far away are you from unlocking the 'Mr. Shakedown's Deep pockets' ability? You'll need the encounter finder too, which allows you to track his (Mr. Shakedown's) location on the map. I believe you get that from the Miracle Johnson sub-story thread. If all this is too much work, I'd just suggest completing Majima's hostess club storyline and once you're club is no.1 and your hostess ranks are maxed out, it's easy to mint money with that mini-game in a short span, plus it unlocks really good sub-stories for some of those hostess, which you don't want to miss. 

13 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

For CP, I'd say go hit some easy peasy mini-games, eat at restaurants, perform multiple heat actions etc. How far away are you from unlocking the 'Mr. Shakedown's Deep pockets' ability? You'll need the encounter finder too, which allows you to track his (Mr. Shakedown's) location on the map. I believe you get that from the Miracle Johnson sub-story thread. If all this is too much work, I'd just suggest completing Majima's hostess club storyline and once you're club is no.1 and your hostess ranks are maxed out, it's easy to mint money with that mini-game in a short span, plus it unlocks really good sub-stories for some of those hostess, which you don't want to miss. 

Deep pockets is only one remaining, like it costs 10 CP, the ones before that are all unlocked, Woo! I have MJ as the manager Woo! and encounter finder too.

I'm in chapter 14 now, so it's Kiryu only, do the next chapters have free roam or is it just back to back fights and action? I know that you play as majima and kiryu both in next chapters, just not sure how it works.

want to be prepared with [ Dragon of Dojima ] style to wreck Kuze for the 4th time, I'm sure he'll appear :rofl:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Deep pockets is only one remaining, like it costs 10 CP, the ones before that are all unlocked, Woo! I have MJ as the manager Woo! and encounter finder too.

I'm in chapter 14 now, so it's Kiryu only, do the next chapters have free roam or is it just back to back fights and action? I know that you play as majima and kiryu both in next chapters, just not sure how it works.

want to be prepared with [ Dragon of Dojima ] style to wreck Kuze for the 4th time, I'm sure he'll appear :rofl:

I'd say finish the main story and if you're really invested to carry on, then there's a Premium adventure free roam mode that will allow you to do things at your leisure. There is a character switch option that allows you to pick the character post the game's completion and also you can transfer money between them too. So if you're decently leveled up and have enough dough to stack up on healing items, go for the finale. Be warned though, it's long, as in, very long final chapter. My advise; you set aside a day specifically for the last 2 chapters as they are non-stop action and absolutely amazing. Don't rush through them on a busy day. 

So just finished the Real Estate Royale storyline, and the Dragon of Dojima combines the best parts of all the other 3 fightning styles, but pity the upgrades are only passive, no new combos and all :(

Now I can complete the game in peace.

20 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Started chapter 15, was shocked at everything being JUST AS PLANNED on the part of Shimano, never actually seen a 4D Chess plot in a videogame before, really sad Tachi couldn't get to see his sister :(

Spoiler

Don't know what was your reaction to this scene but i had a similar one to this guy:furious:

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Started chapter 15, was shocked at everything being JUST AS PLANNED on the part of Shimano, never actually seen a 4D Chess plot in a videogame before, really sad Tachi couldn't get to see his sister :(

For such a wacky game, its hits some super emotional plotpoints

4 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

It's an emotional rollercoaster from hereon out. 

Finally finished the game, what a mind blowing experience  :majesty:

I had a hard time fighting off Awano who was a clone of Kuze from the first time you face him fighting style wise, and then they had to throw in Lao Gui phew.

Really enjoyed the Shibusawa boss fight tho, for the first time Rush actually felt useful especially in the 2nd and 3rd stages where the fool launches into long combos :rofl:

Also very sad Majima couldn't get the girl in the end :(

But atleast he has KIRYU-CHAAAAAAN

btw how do they know each other? I never saw them meet face to face in-game.

Also is grinding the cabaret club minigame for mad dog of shimano style worthwhile? I found the dragon of dojima style underwhelming tbh even though it has cool moves

btw is Yakuza Kiwami about another JUST AS PLANNED chess match between Shintaro Kazam and Shimano?

Edited by PhantomShade

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

Finally finished the game, what a mind blowing experience  :majesty:

I had a hard time fighting off Awano who was a clone of Kuze from the first time you face him fighting style wise, and then they had to throw in Lao Gui phew.

Really enjoyed the Shibusawa boss fight tho, for the first time Rush actually felt useful especially in the 2nd and 3rd stages where the fool launches into long combos :rofl:

Also very sad Majima couldn't get the girl in the end :(

But atleast he has KIRYU-CHAAAAAAN

btw how do they know each other? I never saw them meet face to face in-game.

Also is grinding the cabaret club minigame for mad dog of shimano style worthwhile? I found the dragon of dojima style underwhelming tbh even though it has cool moves

btw is Yakuza Kiwami about another JUST AS PLANNED chess match between Shintaro Kazam and Shimano?

No Yakuza Kiwami is more about Kiryu personally and his closest inner circle - more specifically it explores Kiryu and Nishikiyama's dynamic. Kiryu meets Majima in Kiwami if I remember right. It also introduces some characters who are going to be very important to the series going forward (Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 4 are the main titles where new important characters are introduced).

If you play Kiwami - you will realize why people told you to start with Y0. Impact of Kiwami will not be felt if you've not played Y0.

Keep in mind though - Y0 was a brand new game. Kiwami is the remake of a PS2 game. Although the Remake is marvelous- some things, including the main story unfortunately- are poorer than Y0.

Also, you might have to give breaks to Yakuza in between. Plenty of people here tried to marathon Kiryu's journey from Y0 - Y6/Y7 and got burnt out. These are big games. The story is running over the course of decades now.It might be better to take a break, play something else, and then come back, rather than runningfrom title to title. If you can play every title though (Not continuously, but slowly) - then nothing like it. These games progress the story of even side quest NPCs and you can even see the changes to society from the 80s of Y0 through the 90s, the 2000s and finally to the present day in y6/Y7/Judgement series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, roun90 said:

No Yakuza Kiwami is more about Kiryu personally and his closest inner circle - more specifically it explores Kiryu and Nishikiyama's dynamic. Kiryu meets Majima in Kiwami if I remember right. It also introduces some characters who are going to be very important to the series going forward (Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 4 are the main titles where new important characters are introduced).

If you play Kiwami - you will realize why people told you to start with Y0. Impact of Kiwami will not be felt if you've not played Y0.

Keep in mind though - Y0 was a brand new game. Kiwami is the remake of a PS2 game. Although the Remake is marvelous- some things, including the main story unfortunately- are poorer than Y0.

Also, you might have to give breaks to Yakuza in between. Plenty of people here tried to marathon Kiryu's journey from Y0 - Y6/Y7 and got burnt out. These are big games. The story is running over the course of decades now.It might be better to take a break, play something else, and then come back, rather than runningfrom title to title. If you can play every title though (Not continuously, but slowly) - then nothing like it. These games progress the story of even side quest NPCs and you can even see the changes to society from the 80s of Y0 through the 90s, the 2000s and finally to the present day in y6/Y7/Judgement series.

Yeah I agree. However I could not get into yakuza 3 and 4 remastered after playing Kiwami 2 and judgment, they simply feel too dated to me. Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 have spoiled me.