Doom Eternal

Heaven Angel

6 hours ago, radicaldude said:

@STICK3Rboy

I cant get enough of that gameplay video. He seems to be playing on a mortally challenged level. His play through seems to be faster than normal DE speeds. Is he using some suit mod, or some unlockable perk that you get after beating the game, or something?

AFAIK you don't get any extra gameplay mods/perks for beating the game.

But apparently you can forgo the reload time on some of the weapons by quick-switching, which that guy seems to be doing plenty of.

6 hours ago, radicaldude said:

Also I would love to see how he tackles the Marauder charging towards him.

Here.

Also, check this out to see the Marauder getting his sh*t f**ked up.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, STICK3Rboy said:

AFAIK you don't get any extra gameplay mods/perks for beating the game.

But apparently you can forgo the reload time on some of the weapons by quick-switching.

Here.

The main issue I am presently facing is that in the heat of the battle, I sometimes forget that I can throw nades, flame for armour and use freeze. Also, I would have loved a quick switch button, say q (2 weapon binds). You can keep scroll up and down for balista and SSG though, but it screws up weapon switches during a tense firefight.

This game requires specific weapon types for specific enemies, but when they throw everything at you concurrently, it gets difficult to optimize the switch. Some tutorial to do this effectively would be epic. Also, the ammo count is so damn low, and inventory management is so darn crucial, sometimes it tends to get a tad excruciating.

WTF!? This guy must be a pro with whatever (keyboard / mouse) or joystick he is using. That marauder encounter is sick... no chance at all... don’t know how he is able to switch weapons so fast

47 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

The main issue I am presently facing is that in the heat of the battle, I sometimes forget that I can throw nades, flame for armour and use freeze.

I think you'll get the hang of that the more you play because they become pretty much essential to survive (at least I felt that way :P).

I was the same initially but I'm using them so much now that I'm finding their cooldown time to be a bit long. Have planned to start using the Equipment Fiend rune to reduce the cooldown in the next master level that I play.

I wish there was a way to unlock more rune slots :\

57 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

This game requires specific weapon types for specific enemies, but when they throw everything at you concurrently, it gets difficult to optimize the switch. Some tutorial to do this effectively would be epic. Also, the ammo count is so damn low, and inventory management is so darn crucial, sometimes it tends to get a tad excruciating.

I try to always keep the Ballista handy. It's quite useful in taking out weak-points of the Mancubi, Arachnotrons and Revenants. And its Arbalest mod can be used to easily take out Cacodemons too.

As far as ammo goes, just keep chainsawing as much as you can :P

1 minute ago, STICK3Rboy said:

I think you'll get the hang of that the more you play because they become pretty much essential to survive (at least I felt that way :P).

I was the same initially but I'm using them so much now that I'm finding their cooldown time to be a bit long. Have planned to start using the Equipment Fiend rune to reduce the cooldown in the next master level that I play.

I wish there was a way to unlock more rune slots :\

I try to always keep the Ballista handy. It's quite useful in taking out weak-points of the Mancubi, Arachnotrons and Revenants. And its Arbalest mod can be used to easily take out Cacodemons too.

As far as ammo goes, just keep chainsawing as much as you can :P

I have unlocked the hot swapper (suit upgrade). Is there a way of making it even faster?

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

Glitches :P

A couple things to keep in mind: these aren't glitchless runs. Speedrunners in this category aren't worried about proving themselves in every arena at the highest difficulty. They still wield some impressive arena control, weapon switching skills, and their aim is excellent, but this is about busting Doom Eternal wide open—and there were plenty of fissures in its underground lairs already. The bulk of these runs involve floating through or over each level and using a weapon damage glitch to make the toughest enemies completely trivial. 

Efficiency, no matter the cost, governs these early runs, but that doesn't make them any less impressive.

13 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Glitches :P

Few impediments that I encountered when I tried to play fast yesterday.

1) Knowing the map is extremely critical. I mean in any open area, before you even enter, they start spawning demons. You get almost zero time to strategize and if you dont know maps beforehand, its extremely difficult to play fast and gain a momentum.

2) Random Demon spawns. As the game is slotted, there is no pattern of demon spawns. At times(in Taras Nabad stage), after a tough fight, they spawn the marauder with some cacodemons

3) Some demons are bullet sponges and require a specific weapon type for quick kill- I mean even a rocket wont take a cacodemon down in one shot. They keep coming at you. Ideally more powerful weapons (rocket launcher, ssg, ballista etc) should require just one trigger press to down less lethal demons, but that never happens. In the heat of battle you can never be sure how much damage you have done to a demon if 10 others are firing concurrently at you. Ideally, for fast play, it should have been that you spray the plasma gun and rockets on the hordes and move attention to more powerful demons, but you can never be sure if that spray would take care of those hordes.

4) This bugs me a lot. I find myself trapped at some corner when I am trying to play fast as I dont know the map. And then I get attacked by multiple demons at once. Uber irritating is the Whiplash. I hate the whiplash. Its extremely difficult to target when you are moving around at insane speeds. and usually it is accompanied by some other demon with a brute force. Taking care of both/multiple demons at once with the whiplash is extremely daunting. You can get cramped up pretty easily.

5) The Archville- I dread him the most. I mean he makes demons faster and stronger with unlimited spawns. I have no idea how to take care of him instantaneously.

6) Extremely low ammo- You dont get to keep a track of the ammo  when you are beating demons to pulp. My ammo gets exhausted amidst battles. And then I am left with no other options apart from bunny hopping around, trying to chainsaw someone. lol.

I felt so bad looking at zero masters play through yesterday. lol. It was like he was playing a different version of doom. When I shoot, demons dodge, but in his play through they are like sitting ducks. How?

Edited by radicaldude

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

I felt so bad looking at zero masters play through yesterday. lol. It was like he was playing a different version of doom. When I shoot, demons dodge, but in his play through they are like sitting ducks. How?

Practice man, practice.

It's easy to learn but hard to master. 

The game seems to be harder than 2016 one too. My first encounter with Marauder in “arc complex” itself took a lot of time to proceed & NOW - slayergate at Mars Core is RIDICULOUS - a marauder and 2 barons - I thought “this has got to be a joke” imao... the difficulty keeps on going up[emoji52]

2 hours ago, stingray said:

The game seems to be harder than 2016 one too. My first encounter with Marauder in “arc complex” itself took a lot of time to proceed & NOW - slayergate at Mars Core is RIDICULOUS - a marauder and 2 barons - I thought “this has got to be a joke” imao... the difficulty keeps on going upemoji52.png

Actually you need  to learn the map. and under no circumstance get cramped up.

Also take care of every other demon before focusing on the Marauder. The only way of doing that is to move around quickly and thus staying away from him. He cant teleport , so I guess you would be safe, albeit temporarily. That should give you some time slay other demons first. But this irks me, demons are bullet sponges, and you cant be sure when their health is critically low. Do remember to keep some zombies alive for ammo/health drops for your fight with marauder.

Edited by radicaldude

9 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Any cheat codes for the same? I am about to enter Nekravok and I want the gun before I enter

No cheat codes, don't even use it'll ruin your experience. Try and complete all slayer gates before finishing the campaign. 

Just completed Taras Nabad and Nekravol after a long evening session. Feel sloshed!

Those Marauders are so incredibly hard to defeat and what makes it particularly worse is the spirit wolves/ dogs he unleashes on the Slayer from time to time!! :nerves: