Inception discussion thread

achilles

so..the ending..real or dream?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2. Does he? :bigyellowgrin: Anyway, let's assume he does. Saito dies in the third level of the dream and goes to limbo. Cobb remains in limbo after he is stabbed by Mal to find him and remind him that he's in limbo. By the time Cobb finds Saito, Saito has already aged (as he has accepted limbo as his reality). Remember that a few moments in reality are decades in limbo. Cobb doesn't age because he KNOWS he is in limbo but still has some trouble remembering in the end. So Cobb finds Saito and reminds him of his agreement. Saito vaguely has memories of it but after meeting Cobb and spinning his totem he suddenly realizes where he is. It is implied that Saito shoots Cobb and then himself to wake up from limbo (that's what Mal and Cobb did to wake up - kill themselves). However there is also the possibility that the sedation wore off and Saito and Cobb simply "woke up". And the reason their brains didn't get "fried" was because they knew the truth before waking up.

If Cobb remained in limbo why would he wash up ashore again? Also, he didn't enter the first limbo that long after Saito died in the third level, so it doesn't explain why Saito's aged so much. A better explanation would be that he entered limbo the second time after he died of drowning in the van in the first level. That would give Saito enough time to age because of the difference in the levels in which each died.

The whole deal with Mal killing Fisher and taking him to Cobb's limbo is still very dubious and doesn't really fit that well with rest of the solidly established rules. I feel Nolan kinda copped out here to an extent and expected the audience to roll with this scenario and we do see people coming up with their own explanations ensuring this doesn't become a plot hole. None of them have been very convincing so far.

The reason why Cobb did not age as much as Saito was because Cobb knowingly entered limbo when he went after Fischer. He knew exactly what it was. For Saito, limbo had become reality, so he aged like he would in the real world. That also kinda explains why we see Cobb and Mal's old wrinkled hands while lying on the railway tracks but in another scene (showing the same) they are young. That's because Cobb knew they were dreaming and in limbo and that they were still young.

I don't think that Cobb re-entered limbo after drowning in the van (that could be a possibility) but the way he tells Ariadne "I have to stay back and find Saito" before she jumps makes me believe that he stayed there and started looking for Saito right after. It took him some time to find Saito... maybe a few years in dream time but he did. That's probably the reason why he was a little disoriented when the guards brought him to Saito. He was starting to lose his grip on reality (hence the slight aging) but meeting Saito reminded him where he was and what he had to do.

The reason why Cobb did not age as much as Saito was because Cobb knowingly entered limbo when he went after Fischer. He knew exactly what it was. For Saito, limbo had become reality, so he aged like he would in the real world. That also kinda explains why we see Cobb and Mal's old wrinkled hands while lying on the railway tracks but in another scene (showing the same) they are young. That's because Cobb knew they were dreaming and in limbo and that they were still young.

I don't think that Cobb re-entered limbo after drowning in the van (that could be a possibility) but the way he tells Ariadne "I have to stay back and find Saito" before she jumps makes me believe that he stayed there and started looking for Saito right after. It took him some time to find Saito... maybe a few years in dream time but he did. That's probably the reason why he was a little disoriented when the guards brought him to Saito. He was starting to lose his grip on reality (hence the slight aging) but meeting Saito reminded him where he was and what he had to do.

Ok, now that's a serious amount of speculation :P. For a movie that had prolonged periods of exposition so as to make it understandable, I feel it's unlikely the director would leave so much room for speculation. I saw no clues that would indicate that knowingly entering limbo would prevent aging. It was never explained how anyone could knowingly enter limbo in the first place. How would you know if it's limbo or just a dream?

I'm not saying everything was explained in the movie or that it even should have. That wouldn't have made it as enjoyable to watch and as interesting to dissect as it has become. But it still seemed like a movie that went to great lengths to establish the rules of its universe. Still some of the events are just not explainable unless you come up with new rules of your own.

Ok, now that's a serious amount of speculation :P. For a movie that had prolonged periods of exposition so as to make it understandable, I feel it's unlikely the director would leave so much room for speculation. I saw no clues that would indicate that knowingly entering limbo would prevent aging. It was never explained how anyone could knowingly enter limbo in the first place. How would you know if it's limbo or just a dream?

It's not too far-fetched. Cobb and Ariadne entered limbo using the device so they knew exactly where they were going. In Saito's case he must have woken up in limbo thinking its another dream level. But over the years he must have lost track of reality and accepted limbo as his reality... consciously or unconsciously (much like how Mal did). Cobb on the other hand knew where he was for the most part since he stayed behind to find Saito.

The whole movie is based around the idea that using the dream device people can enter the dream of a "host" dreamer which is taught to the dreamer by an architect. Now Cobb was one of the architects of the "shared" limbo. He built that world together with Mal, so that way Cobb and Ariadne could enter limbo. It was Cobb's dream and a part of his subconscious.

And I don't think Nolan didn't want people to speculate. On the contrary I think that was exactly what he wanted. He deliberately made certain scenes a little ambiguous. For example the chase in Mombassa was quite out-of-place in the real world setting, especially the tunnel shot (very dream-like). Or the part where Cobb hallucinates about Mal after trying Yusuf's compound. And of course the final scene. And if you paid attention to the Saito/Cobb scenes from the beginning of the movie and the one at the end you'd realize that they aren't the same. The lines and reactions from both characters are different. So was it really the same scene?

Hmmm... I can't seem to recall any dialogue that confirms it but I'm pretty sure Miles was his father-in-law. DiCaprio's name in the movie is Dom Cobb and one would assume Miles was Caine's last name (but then again it can be a first name as well).

Hmmm... I can't seem to recall any dialogue that confirms it but I'm pretty sure Miles was his father-in-law. DiCaprio's name in the movie is Dom Cobb and one would assume Miles was Caine's last name (but then again it can be a first name as well).

Either he is his son or son in law. That narrows it down, doesn't it? :P

Watched the movie yesterday , the ending was confusing to me , he doesn't wakes up in the van like others but still lives and meets his children , another dream ?? :wacko: .I might have to watch it one more time I guess.

It was great but Shutter Island's ending stunned me much much more , I was shocked the whole night after watching that movie. :P

Watched the movie yesterday , the ending was confusing to me , he doesn't wakes up in the van like others but still lives and meets his children , another dream ?? :wacko: .I might have to watch it one more time I guess.

It was great but Shutter Island's ending stunned me much much more , I was shocked the whole night after watching that movie. :P

It's implied that he rides back the waves of kicks back to the plane. I guess in order to create some amount of suspense in the final moments of the movie.

It's implied that he rides back the waves of kicks back to the plane. I guess in order to create some amount of suspense in the final moments of the movie.

Lol yeah I know he woke up in the plane , but they all don't talk to each other once reaching the airport and just look at each other like they were all strangers and were brain washed. :P

Lol yeah I know he woke up in the plane , but they all don't talk to each other once reaching the airport and just look at each other like they were all strangers and were brain washed. :P

That was the deal wasn't it? Once the job gets done, Cobb gets relieved off all this. So there is no reason for him to interact with them even in the slightest. And another reason could be that they're all professionals and might not have wanted to talk to each other at the airport to draw unwanted attention

Actually Inception's ending wasn't supposed to be a shocker. It can be viewed as a straightforward heist flick... that is if you don't try to read too much into it.

There was no reason for them to chat up with each other after the job. They were thieves and Cobb was already a wanted man before Saito got his criminal records erased. They definitely don't look at each other like strangers...

• 1 year later...

The fact that we're discussing the ending is a clear indication that the director himself has pulled the ultimate inception by planting it in the minds of the viewers.

BC, kya sahi bola yaar :majesty:

Nolan is still thinking if the ending was ended as real or Dream. :lol:

lol, thats why he said f**k it, let's leave the film that way only, if i go for completing the film, i would just go on and on about dream within a dream and will be just writing the story and never producing it :rofl:

This is strongly making me think that end sequence of the film was indeed Cobb's dream afresh... He can dream now.. No more Psycho Mal projection stopping him cause of guilt and sh*t... Cobb the creater, the dreamer... His world!! Never came out of limbo, just started dreaming afresh!!

no that cannot be, to dream afresh, first he must be in reality, only then he can dream afresh, yes? (i am just telling as i feel, have to watch the movie again)

wtf :rofl: :rofl:

man, i have never read so much discussion on film endings, not even for Shutter Island and Silent Hill. had Memento, but never saw it, guess will have to see it now, i am liking these kinda movies now :bigyellowgrin:

Archived