Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

Watched Kubo and the two strings. Can't believe how this movie has 8.1 on IMDb with that cringe worthy plot. It's a story that been told a lot of times already. Right about after 15 mins of the movie the plot becomes predictable.

To add to the burn, at the end of the movie there is a terrible cover of best George Harrison song.

Yup. Was surprised by how mediocre this movie turned out to be. The stop motion animation was incredible though!

-----------

Arrival is releasing this weekend! :wOOtjumpy:

I think people don't understand how Rotten Tomatoes works.

The site rounds up reviews by critics who have been approved based on set criteria.

For example:

A movie getting 6.25/10 can be considered rotten while the same movie is getting 6/10 can be regarded as fresh. The number of positive reviews is then divided by the total number of write-ups considered, and then you get the movie's Tomatometer rating.

The problem with Rotten Tomatoes is, it gives the false sense of understanding many expert opinions by looking at a single number. Anything above 6/10 gets a fresh seal. Now, 6/10 can be anywhere between DVD quality to must watch to the movie of the year; and you will never know what it is before watching it yourself.

Tomatometer doesn't measure film's quality in the eyes of critics. What it is is a record of the critical agreement.

A movie could receive nothing but lukewarm reviews and walk away with a 100 percent Fresh rating. This is where the system is flawed. A simple 6/10 from every critic gets 100% fresh seal, and everyone thinks the movie is 100. While an excellent film gets 9/10 from 99% of the analyst and one critic gives it a 5 and it loses it's 100% fresh seal.

So, how to use it?

Despite everything, RT makes it up by being thorough. You can find a link to almost any review of a movie on one page, complete with a blurb.

The next place you should look is the tiny space below Tomatometer. That's where you will find the rating.

• Doctor Strange - 90% fresh. The actual average score is 7.3/10.
  • Moana - 99% fresh. The actual average score is 8.1/10.
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 77% fresh. The real average rating is 6.9/10.
  • Finding Dory - 94% fresh. The actual average score is 7.7/10.
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 27% fresh. The real average rating is 4.9/10.

The difference between IMDB and RT is, the audience and fanboy rating doesn't affect the critic score.

Why do I use? I simply use to read the reviews without searching on every site. It gives more sense and can enrich your appreciation for a movie without only looking at the 100% fresh seal and decide if it's right or wrong.

A film with little 60% fresh can be as good as a movie with 100% fresh seal.

Edited by Heaven Angel
  • Like 1

I dont even check RT scores. If i wanna see a movie i dont really care what anyone thinks of it. I mostly check IMDB scores and found them to be quite accurate.

Also i liked Suicide Squad more than BvS. It was decent. Though nothings gonna beat Deadpool in recent times.

Planned to go for Fantastic Beasts but will go for Arrival on Sunday. 😎

• Like 1

Um, it's Ridley Scott's movie. He is directing it.

By the way, the release date is moved up from August 4, 2017 to May 19, 2017.

No super excited as Prometheus was awful and this is a follow-up.

Edited by Heaven Angel