The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

21 minutes ago, adity said:

That and LG WebOS is miles ahead of Android TV. 

Also, OLED at FALD pricing :wOOtjumpy:

18 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

LOL yes I definitely don't want android on my tv. Backup phone tak theek hai. :lol:

18 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

I don't know about that. I personally prefer Android and in the 2020 series, it is quite snappy plus Google TV incoming.

I would honestly buy LG if it goes android.

Anyway, I do have a plan to buy OLED or MicroLED in 2022, so will decide then between LG and Sony offerings.

17 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Unlikely. Their webos is very mature at this point and has support for all major apps

Android is nowhere near WebOS in maturity. My X95G f**king hangs every other day, specially Youtube Kids. Even if I force close the app, no other apps stream anything at all till I restart the TV. Never had an issue with C8. 

Plus just browsing the menus, settings etc is just so much better on WebOS. Small details like an HDR popup on the upper RHC on WebOS makes knowing the kind of content you are watching so much easy. On the Sony, I have to go to settings to see if HDR is ON. Bonkers. :suicide:

WebOS > Android, anyf**kingday. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

LOL yes I definitely don't want android on my tv. Backup phone tak theek hai. :lol:

I would actually prefer Android. Walled gardens mean fewer apps. I would have loved to try Steam Link, but Valve signed up with Samsung instead :ranting:

Edited by Keyofx

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

Android is nowhere near WebOS in maturity. My X95G f**king hangs every other day, specially Youtube Kids. Even if I force close the app, no other apps stream anything at all till I restart the TV. Never had an issue with C8. 

Plus just browsing the menus, settings etc is just so much better on WebOS. Small details like an HDR popup on the upper RHC on WebOS makes knowing the kind of content you are watching so much easy. On the Sony, I have to go to settings to see if HDR is ON. Bonkers. :suicide:

I saw this in a review recently. Massive lulz:rofl:

2 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

I would actually prefer Android. Walled garden mean fewer apps. I would have loved to try Steam Link, but Valve signed up with Samsung instead :ranting:

Hahaha I don't even use the apps. Fire stick serves that purpose. 

4 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

These issues were there on my x900e but I haven't faced these issues on H yet, will see.

Also why do you need an HDR popup? It should just display the source and if you are watching good HDR implementation, then it should be apparent without any popup.

1 minute ago, Jigsaw said:

I saw this in a review recently. Massive lulz:rofl:

I honestly had a sour experience with the Sony X95G. It looks...normal. Nothing premium. Speakers are terrible (C8 has godly speakers when compared to X95G). The OS is a mess - specially with apps displaying the barebones Android menu on TV. Pay a lac and get an experience shittier than a 10k Xiaomi phone. 

I don't think I am ever buying an Android TV again unless some QoL improvements are shipped. WebOS + Fire Stick (though every app needed is on WebOS nowadays). 

Just now, kunjanp said:

These issues were there on my x900e but I haven't faced these issues on H yet, will see.

Also why do you need an HDR popup? It should just display the source and if you are watching good HDR implementation, then it should be apparent without any popup.

Needed if I am playing a movie from an HDD - to see if it's playing with the correct codec/settings etc. Sometimes helps to check if NF is doing HDR/DV or not.

The G series chip is also shite. H, AFAIK, is better in decoding. 

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

Needed if I am playing a movie from an HDD - to see if it's playing with the correct codec/settings etc. Sometimes helps to check if NF is doing HDR/DV or not.

The G series chip is also shite. H, AFAIK, is better in decoding. 

Makes sense, hopefully Google TV fixes all this.

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I honestly had a sour experience with the Sony X95G. It looks...normal. Nothing premium. Speakers are terrible (C8 has godly speakers when compared to X95G). The OS is a mess - specially with apps displaying the barebones Android menu on TV. Pay a lac and get an experience shittier than a 10k Xiaomi phone. 

I don't think I am ever buying an Android TV again unless some QoL improvements are shipped. WebOS + Fire Stick (though every app needed is on WebOS nowadays). 

HBO Max is a huge miss. Another Samsung exclusive, I think.

Just now, Keyofx said:

HBO Max is a huge miss. Another Samsung exclusive, I think.

Not launched in India, so not really concerned. 

Heck, Hotstar f**ked me with a coupon activation. Activated VIP when I used a FK Premium coupon, and never responded to emails/tweets. So I said f**k it. No need to subscribe. Just go Jack Sparrow. 

21 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

I would actually prefer Android. Walled gardens mean fewer apps. I would have loved to try Steam Link, but Valve signed up with Samsung instead :ranting:

That is an issues for sure. Sony Liv is still not there on WebOS and Hotstar hasn't been updated for 4k support either

22 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Sony liv is there now, but funny enough its only on my 2019 model and not on 2018 model.

Ohh, didn't know that. I have C9, so it should be there. Let me check

Edited by Sach4life

28 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Only by 2022 we will get to know anything concrete about this with low enough price tag.

I'm not talking about micro led or nanorod LED . Mini LED was already available from TCL last year. LG and Samsung are launching it this year. 

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread