SPOILERS - God of War: Ragnarök

On 12/23/2022 at 7:03 PM, broksindri said:

How did Kratos went from "Quiet Head" to "Mimir why are you quiet?" :D

8 hours ago, texthulk said:

They butchered our boi Surtur so hard lol :(

Surtur : Go away i dont wanna fight any wars

Also Surtur : Wait ! Put those blades in my heart and i will be the monster you want.

I was like *Koi sense hai is baat ki? Hume bhot lag rahi thi us wakt*

Even I felt it a bit absurd. Kratos was changing his decisions left and right. I think he was very confused with the fate sh*t and all or writers didn't find a proper reason to explain what changed his mind. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:37 PM, Assassins Creed said:

To be honest, I did feel Atreus sections repetitive and draggy... the lost sanctuary was good but after that the Asgard sequences were just sus for me.. I literally passed out climbing the Asgard wall when he comes first time.

Loved that part. Asgard was so beautiful. Took too many screenshots.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:29 AM, VelivolusDas said:

The absolute last shrine showcases that Kratos is like the new 'All-Father' of the Norse realm. The shrine showed people worshipping/praising him (something he's never had before).

Isn't that wrong by the way? Kratos was worshipped and prayed to by Spartan soldiers in the older games.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, Assassins Creed said:

Yeah seriously, he had such an epic set pieces in first game and carried through the whole game, Should have kept some big showcase for him in Ragnarök.. he appeared but vaguely..

Things like this make me wonder if they had any plans at all while setting up all these in the first game. Or did they scrap all that when they decided to end the Norse Saga with the second game?

On 11/24/2022 at 11:46 AM, rushab oswal said:

The biggest mystery with the game is....

Why does collectors hammer has an hammer when we never get to wield it ?

Because they knew that it would sell like hot cakes. Personally, I'm glad that mjolnir wasn't weapon in the game. The axe is the same thing but way cooler.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, hussain said:

what was your favourite or most memorable moment from the game?

For me it was the moment when Atreus comes back and Kratos goes "What name do I call you" Goddam broke me man. 

I didn't watch the story trailer, so seeing Skoll and Hati turn Vanaheim from night to day for the first time took my breath away.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:44 AM, Assassins Creed said:

These two sections, Goosebumps loaded and the last line - Loki Goes Atreus Remains 

Man, the Faye parts took me out of the game because all I could see was the chick from Daredevil.

Anyway, the question I had was what are all the secrets and extra dialogues that you can find after 100% completion?

This is what I've learned about so far:

-Go back to your home in the woods to get Atreus's journal
-Finding the real Tyr in all the realms except Jotunheim and Asgard
-Finding Thrudd in Alfheim with Thor's hammer
-Finding Skjoldr in Midgard trying to pull Odin's coin that Kratos threw.
-Extra dialogue if you go back to Atreus's room in Sindri's house
-NPCs like Sif and the Boar guy in Freyr's camp. Also, Birgir moving to Freya's house.
-Some extra lines if you visit the Temple of Light with Freya
-Lunda has some extra conversations, I guess

Anything else?

2 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

Anyway, the question I had was what are all the secrets and extra dialogues that you can find after 100% completion?

This is what I've learned about so far:

-Go back to your home in the woods to get Atreus's journal
-Finding the real Tyr in all the realms except Jotunheim and Asgard
-Finding Thrudd in Alfheim with Thor's hammer
-Finding Skjoldr in Midgard trying to pull Odin's coin that Kratos threw.
-Extra dialogue if you go back to Atreus's room in Sindri's house
-NPCs like Sif and the Boar guy in Freyr's camp. Also, Birgir moving to Freya's house.
-Some extra lines if you visit the Temple of Light with Freya
-Lunda has some extra conversations, I guess

Anything else?

Find real Tyr and then find him in every realm..

• 2 weeks later...

In brief, and in no particular order, 

Combat and gameplay is generally better than GOW 2018. It’s not just more of the same, they’ve added genuine tweaks, though I believe there are fewer findables for builds but maybe I’m mistaken here. 
Storytelling was off. There are many beautiful moments in the game, and many genuinely enjoyable set pieces. But they’re not as impactful. 
Kratos has had some estrogen injections it seems, because the character just did not add up. 
I liked how later on Kratos frequently asks Atreus to “lead”. 
I felt genuine rage when Brok was killed, which, if you think about it, was the only real bad-a*s in the game. Along with Lunda and that other dwarf in Svartalfheim who tells the god of war to f**k off from his office :lol:  

I also liked how Sindri was the one to hammer Odin’s soul marble. Made me laugh, in a good way. 
It took me ~60 hours to complete, with Vanaheim and Alfheim sucking up most of the time outside of the story. 
Speaking of, Vanaheim is quite beautiful, and genuinely annoying with the goddamn plants. Freya, do something and communicate with them, will you? Also the wishing well was quite pretty. 
The boss fights were.. okay. Expected better and more varied boss fights with Thor and Odin, specially with the build-up till the final act. 
I think the build-up from after Brok’s murder till you actually enter Asgard is my favourite part of the game. Still stupid, but the narrative suddenly changes from “no war” to “Ragnarok must happen” just because Odin tricked them and killed Brok? What? Or am I missing something? 

Liked playing with Loki initially, and the added agility and swiftness were appreciated, but his sections are just… boring. The game was too long. 
Some of the traversal is so shitty. Like I can’t get up to that ledge because a tinker-y metal plate is covering the hook point which I need to kick down from the top? Ugh. 

What did Surtr do exactly? 
Heimdall was fun, and funny :D 

My two gripes with the 2018 game were: field of view and game length. They’re both as bad or worse in this one. The game is too long, and feels disjointed. And battling more than a single enemy, even minnows, was at best tricky, and at worst quite annoying. None of the one on one bosses, or even the few berserkers I faced gave me any trouble. However fill the arena with half a dozen Einherjars, and it gets stupidly annoying fast. 
Battling scores of enemies and epic bosses was what the original game excelled at, right from the first on the PS2. 

Which, also, every game that Kratos has his gained abilities reduced was because he dies or something to that effect. Why did he not start with previous game’s gained abilities here? Could’ve used Thor’s first battle this way. 

Finally, I put on the 2018 GOW on the PS4 on another HDMI port just to get a feel of the difference side by side, and I couldn’t play for more than a few minutes. Which leads me to the biggest takeaway for me from this game: always, always, “favour performance”. 

edit: a bit late, but how goddamn hot was Sif? :fap: Well done Thor

8/10

Edited by achilles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, achilles said:

Combat and gameplay is generally better than GOW 2018. It’s not just more of the same, they’ve added genuine tweaks, though I believe there are fewer findables for builds but maybe I’m mistaken here. 
Storytelling was off. There are many beautiful moments in the game, and many genuinely enjoyable set pieces. But they’re not as impactful. 
Kratos has had some estrogen injections it seems, because the character just did not add up. 
I felt genuine rage when Brok was killed, which, if you think about it, was the only real bad-a*s in the game. Along with Lunda and that other dwarf in Svartalfheim who tells the god of war to f**k off from his office :lol:  

I also liked how Sindri was the one to hammer Odin’s soul marble. Made me laugh, in a good way. 
It took me ~60 hours to complete, with Vanaheim and Alfheim sucking up most of the time outside of the story. 
Speaking of, Vanaheim is quite beautiful, and genuinely annoying with the goddamn plants. Freya, do something and communicate with them, will you? Also the wishing well was quite pretty. 
The boss fights were.. okay. Expected better and more varied boss fights with Thor and Odin, specially with the build-up till the final act. 
I think the build-up from after Brok’s murder till you actually enter Asgard is my favourite part of the game. Still stupid, but the narrative suddenly changes from “no war” to “Ragnarok must happen” just because Odin tricked them and killed Brok? What? Or am I missing something? 

Liked playing with Loki initially, and the added agility and swiftness were appreciated, but his sections are just… boring. The game was too long. 
Some of the traversal is so shitty. Like I can’t get up to that ledge because a tinker-y metal plate is covering the hook point which I need to kick down from the top? Ugh. 

My two gripes with the 2018 game were: field of view and game length. They’re both as bad or worse in this one. The game is too long, and feels disjointed. And battling more than a single enemy, even minnows, was at best tricky, and at worst quite annoying. None of the one on one bosses, or even the few berserkers I faced gave me any trouble. However fill the arena with half a dozen Einherjars, and it gets stupidly annoying fast. 
Battling scores of enemies and epic bosses was what the original game excelled at, right from the first on the PS2. 

Which, also, every game that Kratos has his gained abilities reduced was because he dies or something to that effect. Why did he not start with previous game’s gained abilities here? Could’ve used Thor’s first battle this way. 

Finally, I put on the 2018 GOW on the PS4 on another HDMI port just to get a feel of the difference side by side, and I couldn’t play for more than a few minutes. Which leads me to the biggest takeaway for me from this game: always, always, “favour performance”. 

8/10

If you managed to write these many thoughts, it’s at least 9.5/10

6 hours ago, achilles said:

8/10

Biwi ke aage Muh nahin khulta to humko itna bada gyaan dega ??

16 hours ago, achilles said:

8/10

Honestly, loved everything except the story. 

Here's my theory as to why it wasn't good, apart from the obvious reason which is woke writers like Anthony Burch. 

Cory finishes the 2018 game and sets up a lot. Some of the ideas for the sequels can be seen in the art book of the game.

Originally meant to be a trilogy.

Cory burns out and apparently convinces Eric Williams to direct Ragnarok. This took 6 months apparently.

Cory gave Eric complete freedom for the sequel except for a few things. Presumably this was because he didn't want to seem overbearing since Eric didn't really want to do this in the first place.

In addition to that, he was probably busy working on whatever new IP he's working on.

Eric decides to end the Norse Saga with 2 games. 

This was probably the biggest change that resulted in Ragnarok's story not feeling like an organic conclusion to everything that was set up in the first game. Cory had apparently planned the story for 5 games originally with 3 for the Norse Saga, but because of these developments, they probably had to throw most of that out of the window, at least the Norse stuff. 

So yeah. This is probably the reason why Ragnarok's story turned to be not very satisfying to many people like me. Combat had improved greatly though but that was a given considering Eric was in charge.

Some interesting criticisms I came across on reddit:

About the bad writing.

About Faye's Mary Sue-ness. 

About the inconsistency regarding prophecies and bad writing.

Possible misandry. 

Agreed with his criticisms regarding the story. Gameplay criticisms can be ignored as they seem really subjective. 

Edited by Kumar123

11 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

Agreed with his criticisms regarding the story. Gameplay criticisms can be ignored as they seem really subjective. 

Damn those are some essays. 

But isn't it the other way round. Story is always subjective. Gameplay faults remain same for everyone.

But still, some people overlook gameplay flaws by playing at extreme difficulty, either story mode or give me God of War.

2 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

Damn those are some essays. 

But isn't it the other way round. Story is always subjective. Gameplay faults remain same for everyone.

But still, some people overlook gameplay flaws by playing at extreme difficulty, either story mode or give me God of War.

Nah. Opinions on gameplay can be subjective as well. Common complaints exist, but there are a lot of aspects that some people like and others dislike. Personally, I could see the improvements they brought in this game and was completely satisfied. Loved the way the game forced me to use all three weapons equally unlike the first game where the axe was my favourite. And how they didn't give us runic attacks until halfway through the game so that players wouldn't be just spamming them in every fight instead of learning all the different moves. So many clever designs like that. Ragnarok is such a really well made game. Which is why it's even more unfortunate that the story wasn't up to the mark. Wonder if the devs know that or if they think the game is a masterpiece because IGN gave it a 10.