PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

1 minute ago, radicaldude said:

Many. Control being one of them. The previous gen versions had frame rate issues. 

Though GoT looks stunning on the PS4, those who want to experience developers true artistic vision should definitely pick up the ps5 directors cut. I don't think it would be a bland graphical update. There would be many different elements, not possible on a PS4 system 

What? Do you even understand the discussion we're having? What you're saying is the exact opposite of what we're discussing here.

How would one get “examples” when the developers are designing games with the lowest denominator in their inseption 

Such a stupid thing to wait for to get proof that something is being held back 

Edited by AnK

31 minutes ago, b!T said:

I Some devs make clear cut versions for both generations and some others cut some corners and do limited scaling. The latter holds back the game from realizing it's true potential. .

1 minute ago, TRMNTR said:

What? Do you even understand the discussion we're having? What you're saying is the exact opposite of what we're discussing here.

How difficult is this to fathom. Control on the PS4/ one s had its corners cut. Base versions had frame rate issues. The hardware was simply not good enough. 

They later launched the ps5 version which was closer to their original artistic vision. In a way, control has two different versions of the game. One is for the last gen and the other for the current gen. 

They developer doesn't have launch two versions concurrently to be deemed as an example. 

1 minute ago, iam said:

So you're saying that games are scalable and not actually held back on next gen just because they support weaker hardware. 

Which is exactly what they're saying. 

I don't think he understands what he's arguing about.

1 minute ago, iam said:

So you're saying that games are scalable and not actually held back on next gen just because they support weaker hardware. 

Which is exactly what they're saying. 

As @BIT said, not every dev can afford to do that (remake games for different systems). 

hence the lowest common denominator will hold back true potential. 

8 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

any examples of such cases?

Witcher 3 was held back due to consoles. CDPR outright admitted that they can't afford to make W3 for only PC and hence fidelity was compromised due to consoles involved.

Also iirc , COD recoil effects were damped down because IW or Treyarch could not make it work properly for controllers where in counter strike has proper recoil or rather had and this is something I read years ago. No personal experience though.

Crysis 2 was held back because of consoles. If you have played Crysis 1 and 2, you will know what I am hinting here.

Monster hunter generations is 30 FPS on switch because they designed it for 3DS which cannot do 60 FPS. I think there is a mod which can unlock FPS but not sure.

Now thinking from the other end of the spectrum, Rocksteady stated that they initially thought to release Arkham knight on PS3/360 as well but had to cut entire batmobile stuff to do that so they scrapped the last gen versions and focused on current gen.

• Like 2

Yes for sure Corners are cut to make a game work on the low end hardware(resolution ,fps ,textures ,crowd density etc.) ,but how do you guys know the true potential of a game is being effected?

Has a dev ever come out and said that we didnt put  x,y ,z feature because the switch or the ps4/xbox one isnt capable enough? Were any of you a part of the meeting when the game was being conceptualised to actually know anything about its so called true potential.

Also the whole idea is overblown on ivg beacuse of some clowns , i have never heard a high end pc gamer ever say that we should discontinue lower end cards ,ultimately you always get what you pay for. Want better everything just pay for it ,buy the latest card or the best console available and be happy .

https://www.theverge.com/22260905/control-ps5-next-gen-hands-on-preview

Control was built completely from scratch to utilize the full power of the ps5. 

Now let's assume, ps5 had an underpowered sku with let's say 4tflops power. 

Then it would have been remade, keeping that underpowered version in mind, thus the game would not have achieved its true potential. 

and this is what several game devs are saying, example being the article about series s being ambivalenT. 

ps- why did they not show the coalition tech demo on the series s?? Xbox is not a singular console, but two different systems with different power. 

Edited by radicaldude

Just now, radicaldude said:

https://www.theverge.com/22260905/control-ps5-next-gen-hands-on-preview

Control was built completely from scratch to utilize the full power of the ps5. 

Now let's assume, ps5 had an underpowered sku with let's say 4tflops power. 

Then it would have been remade, keeping that underpowered version in mind, thus the game would not have achieved its true potential. 

and several game devs are saying this. 

What ??  control launched on lastgen (ps4 and xbox one) and was reworked for current gen. 

dont know what you are talking about

Having two different skus, with significant differences in power (and cost) is plain confusing both for the developers and the customers. 

In short khichdi ban jati hai game ki, with differing fps, graphics, resolution, performance etc.  

This is the reason switch pro was not announced and deck primarily has a single configuration, differs only in the system memory (SSD). 

Edited by radicaldude

20 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

Has a dev ever come out and said that we didnt put  x,y ,z feature because the switch or the ps4/xbox one isnt capable enough? Were any of you a part of the meeting when the game was being conceptualised to actually know anything about its so called true potential.

If this is directed at me, then yes, devs have come out and said last gen forced them to compromise on multiple things. If you see my above post, for two devs themselves have said what I mentioned, DF confirmed two other points. 

Also it is not just what I want or what you want, I was asked to provide examples and I did. If you think otherwise, I would happily be proved wrong.

Edited by b!T
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, b!T said:

Witcher 3 was held back due to consoles. CDPR outright admitted that they can't afford to make W3 for only PC and hence fidelity was compromised due to consoles involved.

Also iirc , COD recoil effects were damped down because IW or Treyarch could not make it work properly for controllers where in counter strike has proper recoil or rather had and this is something I read years ago. No personal experience though.

Crysis 2 was held back because of consoles. If you have played Crysis 1 and 2, you will know what I am hinting here.

Monster hunter generations is 30 FPS on switch because they designed it for 3DS which cannot do 60 FPS. I think there is a mod which can unlock FPS but not sure.

Now thinking from the other end of the spectrum, Rocksteady stated that they initially thought to release Arkham knight on PS3/360 as well but had to cut entire batmobile stuff to do that so they scrapped the last gen versions and focused on current gen.

Everyone understands that old gen hardware holds back next gen. However, it's not always true and it depends on the game and the devs. Not sure when the conversation moved to last gen (oh yeah, Cyberpunk and Control :rofl:) but the main discussion is about next gen consoles and Steam Deck. To make blanket statements like "XSS will hold back XSX/PS5" is rather stupid without understanding what compromises are being made during development. I don't think any XSX/PS5 game has been held back till now. If anything, developers have chosen to compromise the XSS version to keep their vision intact on XSX/PS5. Am I saying that no game will ever be held back because of XSS/SD? No. It will be rare though. Minimum requirements or not PC will always be the lowest (and highest) common denominator. Regardless of the minimum requirements, the games are always built will lesser performing machines in mind. Why? Because they constitute the majority of systems out there.

Just now, hsk_colossus said:

Consoles have held back pc gaming for ever… 

Of course. There is a reason why even in PC space, we see true jump in scope and visuals once new gen comes out. There is only so much you can do with a powerful graphics card if ultimately game has to run on consoles as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iam said:

Bhai devs have 500 really smart top of the class employees. It's not really confusing for them. Maybe for laymen. 

Also, resolution, fps doesn't matter to consumers either. Most own 1 system and what they're getting is what it is. They don't care about differing performance. 

It's so confusing for them that they have stopped developing games for PCs.