The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

49 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Haven't been to Lajpat/Central Market, CC etc, but these used to be major hubs for street food. 

Dolma aunty momos. :wub:

43 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

f**king Chinese Plague :(

Haven't been out for a proper day of hanging out with friends in almost 6 months.

Damn right man, f**king momos

Only Delhiites think of momos at 10 in the morning :rofl:

My mates and I went out for momos every week man, haven't done it in months now. 

• Haha 1

Havent eaten outside since March. Imagine an Indori saying that :lol:  Will be going there soon so definately gonna eat some there :P

Also looks like cities like Indore,jabalpur,bhopal,etc have forgotten corona. Its all like it was before.

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Damn right man, f**king momos

Only Delhiites think of momos at 10 in the morning :rofl:

My mates and I went out for momos every week man, haven't done it in months now. 

I can have momos at 5 in the morning or 11 in the night ! :P

But, and a BIG BUT, Delhi momos are nowhere close to the real ones you get in the mountains. The ones I had in Sikkim and Nepal - f**king heavenly. The ones in Sikkim are possibly FAR FAR FAR ahead of anything else I have eaten elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

curious how the restaurant walas are managing to pay staff/rent money by just takeaways :scratchchin:

they arent, everybody is surving on crumbs right now.

in mumbai basically, most of the staff are migrants esp cooks so either they shut down complety or are doing with limited staff which cuts the losses. Only takeaways wont work for joints which used to have big walk in crowd. rents in mumbai are crazy anyways and it goes in lakhs. my friends opened a new restaurant last year and paid around 3.5lakhs + gst ( owner insisted on gst as he is a big corporate and [hide]2g scam accused[/hide]), had a staff strength of 65+ and daily sales around 2 lakhs. now theyre getting 25k sales daily with 15+ staff and takeaway so unless the rental comes down they wont be making any profit. another reason why they cant even think of leaving is because they spent 1.25 cr on the interiors so thats not an option. 

similar story everywhere, either cut your losses and leave which is only possible if youre not bound contractually or you dont have much to lose. and in some cases owners cant even pay back the deposit back. 

things are better in the interiors where sales have picked up or even street vendors are their investment was miniscule but in metros things will remain fked for a atleast till next diwali. 

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I can have momos at 5 in the morning or 11 in the night ! :P

But, and a BIG BUT, Delhi momos are nowhere close to the real ones you get in the mountains. The ones I had in Sikkim and Nepal - f**king heavenly. The ones in Sikkim are possibly FAR FAR FAR ahead of anything else I have eaten elsewhere. 

I agree with you man. Practically survived savoured on momos when I went to Sikkim myself. 

Delhi momos are more catered to the Delhi tongue. The only trouble with momos in Sikkim was that I was eating at small mom joints and shops, recommended by locals.

But you cannot really tell with what meat they're using. But I just turned a blind eye, and devoured plate after plate of momos. 

Delhiites want mayonnaise, and cheese momos, and tandoori momos, and what not. I was a purist myself, but I'm a believer myself now. :P

5 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

they arent, everybody is surving on crumbs right now.

in mumbai basically, most of the staff are migrants esp cooks so either they shut down complety or are doing with limited staff which cuts the losses. Only takeaways wont work for joints which used to have big walk in crowd. rents in mumbai are crazy anyways and it goes in lakhs. my friends opened a new restaurant last year and paid around 3.5lakhs + gst ( owner insisted on gst as he is a big corporate and [hide]2g scam accused[/hide]), had a staff strength of 65+ and daily sales around 2 lakhs. now theyre getting 25k sales daily with 15+ staff and takeaway so unless the rental comes down they wont be making any profit. another reason why they cant even think of leaving is because they spent 1.25 cr on the interiors so thats not an option. 

similar story everywhere, either cut your losses and leave which is only possible if youre not bound contractually or you dont have much to lose. and in some cases owners cant even pay back the deposit back. 

things are better in the interiors where sales have picked up or even street vendors are their investment was miniscule but in metros things will remain fked for a atleast till next diwali. 

Similar situation all across the globe.

Reminds me of Louis Rossman's bike rides and NYT real estate rants. Highly highly recommended. Linking some below:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I agree with you man. Practically survived savoured on momos when I went to Sikkim myself. 

Delhi momos are more catered to the Delhi tongue. The only trouble with momos in Sikkim was that I was eating at small mom joints and shops, recommended by locals.

But you cannot really tell with what meat they're using. But I just turned a blind eye, and devoured plate after plate of momos. 

Delhiites want mayonnaise, and cheese momos, and tandoori momos, and what not. I was a purist myself, but I'm a believer myself now. :P

Oh man, most mom and pop shops in Sikkim as f**king ace !

I am a vegetarian, but I loved the momos there since it is an organic state, and the vegetables just taste so much better. I am sure the same goes for meat. 

The top 2 momos for me - one at a hotel we stayed in Pelling - Pachu Village Resort, and second, had it at Sikkim's health minister's place (2-3 years back)- they had their own garden, and the whole dinner was sourced from within their compound - BEST f**king MEAL of my life ! I am salivating thinking about it. 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

The ones I had in Sikkim and Nepal - f**king heavenly. The ones in Sikkim are possibly FAR FAR FAR ahead of anything else I have eaten elsewhere. 

True. The place, local prep, spices, and the weather are those difference makers. Plus the local chutney. 

Try these if you haven't yet: 

1. Noshi - Yum Asian Delivery (Yum Yum Cha). Though not the street side type, the dim-sums and wontons are delish. Specially the philly wonton. Yum. 

2. Yeti - The Himalayan Kitchen GK II. As close to the east as you can get in Delhi. The whole menu is great. And hot. Like sweat on your nose, water-y eyes, numb lips hot. 

26 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

What the actual f**k!

Its not the sweet mayo, its a savoury white sauceish mayo . Not every place makes it but the ones that do make it properly , it goes really well with steamed momos.

Most places just use the packed mayo which tastes disgusting with momos.

3 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Its not the sweet mayo, its a savoury white sauceish mayo . Not every place makes it but the ones that do make it properly , it goes really well with steamed momos.

Nah man, mayo momo is a hate crime.

11 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

True Delhi fella ! Hehe. 

We have done SO MUCH OT peeps ! :fear:

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Bhatura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kulcha. :fear:

Damn right.

1 hour ago, quixote_1989 said:

What the actual f**k!

Bruh people care more for mayonnaise than red chutney here now lol.

1 hour ago, achilles said:

True. The place, local prep, spices, and the weather are those difference makers. Plus the local chutney. 

Try these if you haven't yet: 

1. Noshi - Yum Asian Delivery (Yum Yum Cha). Though not the street side type, the dim-sums and wontons are delish. Specially the philly wonton. Yum. 

2. Yeti - The Himalayan Kitchen GK II. As close to the east as you can get in Delhi. The whole menu is great. And hot. Like sweat on your nose, water-y eyes, numb lips hot. 

I haven't tried either of those two. Sadly the recs have come in at a time when going out to restaurants is out of the question, but will visit both after this f**king chinese curse ends.