What you bought this week

HundredProofSam

Very nice monitor. uhyVd47.gif

2 GOTY, 2 great games and 1 shite game. Congrats.

Metascore is 71 for Amazing Spiderman . So by that metric its a good game. Although the game disc is glitched. Infinite loading screen after the first chapter.

LG 27UD68P.

Yup! It's Mad Max.

Looks very good, what is the difference between this (IPS) and your regular LED monitors (apart from resolution of course) ? Also, how much did it cost ? What other options did you look at ?

Sorry for the many questions, but I'm looking to buy a monitor myself ....

Edited by Ne0

Looks very good, what is the difference between this (IPS) and your regular LED monitors (apart from resolution of course) ? Also, how much did it cost ? What other options did you look at ?

Sorry for the many questions, but I'm looking to buy a monitor myself ....

Thanks!

1. I think someone like ALPHA17 or Mafia97 will be able to explain it much better than me. :P

2. It cost me 35K (Amazon India).

3. Was thinking to get a 29/34 inch Ultra Wide a month ago, but dropped it due to posture issues and also immersion breaking side bars while gaming on consoles. LG 27UD68; it was the only 4K monitor with decent features (like freesync, wide variety of picture adjustment modes, deep color, black stabilizer, 4K upscaler, 10 bit etc) I was able to afford. I also wanted to take advantage of PS4 Pro and for some reason, I have always found LG displays much better. Hence why I made this purchase. Very satisfying so far.

How much?

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

35K.

For starters, there is nothing called an LED monitor, it is an LED back-lit monitor. The display technology is the usual TFT-LCD.

IPS (In Plane Switching) is a type of panel technology, its advantages,

• better viewing angles vis-á-vis the common cheaper TN (Twisted Nemantic) type of panel
  • better colour reproduction compared to TN panel based displays
  • better colour reproduction because they can reproduce higher bit-rate colours over TN which is limited to 6-bit while professional IPS panels go upto 10-bit per pixel

main disadvantages,

• poorer response time, so ghosting and associated issues
  • more expensive
  • cheap IPS panels are 6-bit units, so a good quality TN panel can actually be calibrated to quite similar performance
  • Like 1

So which is a better option to buy ? IPS panel or LED for movies/games ?

In the current scenario, IPS if you are using a console and watch movies on the widescreen.

On the PC side of things, if you are heavily into multi-player gaming, might be handy to get a monitor with a TN panel just for the response time.

Also, if you have the budget a dedicated gaming monitor might be the best choice, because of a high refresh-rate, better colour reproduction and support for G-Sync or FreeSync.