On 6/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, PhantomShade said:

New Zen 2/ Ryzen 3000 refresh announced, releasing July 7th.

Is Zen 3 delayed? :scratchchin:

AMD released a statement after this launch that 4000 series is still on track to be released this year.

14 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

AMD released a statement after this launch that 4000 series is still on track to be released this year.

wut. so that means 4000 will be super expensive? cant see any other logic in releasing both chips

Not gaming related but posting here since it might get the most responses.

So the company i am interning in wants to change it's old macbook pros.

Now work is soft. dev, so lot of IDE's instances, chrome, docker etc. So minimum requirement is quad core, 16gb ram with decent storage.

Please recommend the best VALUE (budget is not strict) but should be best VALUE.

Will appreciate both mac and non mac recommendations (new amd 4600/4800?).

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

Not gaming related but posting here since it might get the most responses.

So the company i am interning in wants to change it's old macbook pros.

Now work is soft. dev, so lot of IDE's instances, chrome, docker etc. So minimum requirement is quad core, 16gb ram with decent storage.

Please recommend the best VALUE (budget is not strict) but should be best VALUE.

Will appreciate both mac and non mac recommendations (new amd 4600/4800?).

But why are you enquiring about it? Do they expect you to buy and get it reimbursed? Don't companies normally give you one themselves? What IDEs will you be using and what languages will you be programming in?

As far as ease of use for programming is concerned, Mac would be the easiest choice. Its got great compatibility with plethora of dev tools and is well optimized in general. But you will shell out north of 1.2L. Go for an i7 at least with min 16GB of RAM.

Linux laptops would be the next best bet, but there are limited options available in India. You can however install a distro by getting a reasonably powerful machine from Asus/Lenovo etc and install yourself, but do make sure that driver compat is good. If you want things to run out of the box with a Linux distro, I think Dell XPS range has a few that ship with Ubuntu. Do check it out but it will be expensive (but cheaper than a Mac Pro). AMD Ryzen 7 us supposed to be good, but you might have difficulty finding a lot of options to choose from in India.

Are there any good gaming laptops that can last for at-least 4 from now ? Was thinking of getting a macbook pro (13") for personal use, but at the cost, I thought I could easily get a gaming laptop.  Any suggestions ?  Don't want the screen to be larger than 14", since I would be mostly using it connected to a monitor.

29 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

But why are you enquiring about it? Do they expect you to buy and get it reimbursed? Don't companies normally give you one themselves? What IDEs will you be using and what languages will you be programming in?

As far as ease of use for programming is concerned, Mac would be the easiest choice. Its got great compatibility with plethora of dev tools and is well optimized in general. But you will shell out north of 1.2L. Go for an i7 at least with min 16GB of RAM.

Linux laptops would be the next best bet, but there are limited options available in India. You can however install a distro by getting a reasonably powerful machine from Asus/Lenovo etc and install yourself, but do make sure that driver compat is good. If you want things to run out of the box with a Linux distro, I think Dell XPS range has a few that ship with Ubuntu. Do check it out but it will be expensive (but cheaper than a Mac Pro). AMD Ryzen 7 us supposed to be good, but you might have difficulty finding a lot of options to choose from in India.

Well, they have asked us to give them options and they will get it. Yes, looking into Macs and Xps. 

22 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Well, they have asked us to give them options and they will get it. Yes, looking into Macs and Xps. 

Don't go for XPS.

That is consumer maal, tell your company to instead go for Dell Latitude, those are their Business models with 3 year warranty, the current "good" models are the Latitude 7400 ones.

Other option you have are the Lenovo Thinkpad T and X series, and the HP EliteBook series, all are again Business models with 3 year warranty.

For OS you either install Linux Mint on it or use WSL on Windows 10.

As standard, get 1080p 15" screen, the biggest battery you can find, atleast one thunderbolt 3 port, and Intel wifi and bluetooth( for best linux compatibility ) 16GB RAM and a Quadcore CPU

Macbooks are also an option, but they will be pricy

On 6/18/2020 at 5:24 AM, Joe Cool said:

Intel still dominates the market regardless of what AMD does. 

unknown.png

More like Intel could sit out for a year and still dominate the market... 

This is overall though, right? I would imagine it would look quite different if it was just for the last 2 years. 

12 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Are there any good gaming laptops that can last for at-least 4 from now ? Was thinking of getting a macbook pro (13") for personal use, but at the cost, I thought I could easily get a gaming laptop.  Any suggestions ?  Don't want the screen to be larger than 14", since I would be mostly using it connected to a monitor.

bump