Kojima Productions is back together and F**k Konami.

What games other than mgs, castlevania, silent hills, contra, gladius, suikoden did they make in over 30 years? Of them all only games survived till now are mgs and castlevania thanks to kojima and igarashi. After they leave I don't see how they can ever make good AAA games.

Never thought of konami as a big player. Only games i liked are mgs, castlevania, contra. Other Japanese companies like SE, NB, capcom, sega, temco release good titles regularly and made lot more amazing games over the years.

Wait Nintendo and new IP? What?

And yea all big AAA Japanese devs just stick to big IPS. But one could argue the same for most western devs too.

Dragons dogma and Platinum games is the only ones I can think of. I guess Yakuza too but lol western release. I guess Dead rising is also successful IP but it's western dev now.

^

Folklore was a new IP last gen that was very good. But I heard the studio that did it got closed down. Sad. Another example is Ni No Kuni. New IP and a very good game, but don't think we will see a sequel. Then there was Valkyria Chronicles, one of the best games in last gen IMO. There might be others, but I don't remember it now.

But the thing is all these IPs had only one-off games and were stopped or moved to handhelds in VC's case. Japanese focus on handhelds and mobiles are ensuring we don't receive much new IPs I think which can be turned into a series.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kojima to Form New Studio With Sony - Report

The veteran game designer is in talks with Sony to form a new studio with a group of former Kojima Productions staffers, according to a new report today from Japanese publication Nikkei. If this were to happen, he would presumably become a Sony employee.

Kojima to Form New Studio With Sony - Report

The veteran game designer is in talks with Sony to form a new studio with a group of former Kojima Productions staffers, according to a new report today from Japanese publication Nikkei. If this were to happen, he would presumably become a Sony employee.

If true,

ZbqmXZL.gif

not surprising tbh

- kojima is close to sony management

- sony blindly funds projects from devs whom they trust or have worked with previously

- sony also gives complete freedom to their big devs without enforcing a strict deadline

- no major publisher in japan except SE or capcom who can fund a big AAA game.

There would be no point , even if he breaks records he isn't getting $80mn from any crowdfunding website. Plus with all the current hate around Crowdfunding ( Thank you haters ) , I doubt it would do him any good.

Maybe Sony will reboot Siren with Kojima/Del Toro and that gorgeous art from Junji ito.

not surprising tbh

- kojima is close to sony management

- sony blindly funds projects from devs whom they trust or have worked with previously

- sony also gives complete freedom to their big devs without enforcing a strict deadline

- no major publisher in japan except SE or capcom who can fund a big AAA game.

Dont forget Konami , oh wait :lol:

Though I am surprised Square didnt pick him up , they can give him all the time he wants plus some more.

I hope Kojima's new studio is in US again so I can go join :samui: , Sony pls.

Archived