Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

10 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:
Uncharted

7 directors later...

Wahlberg as Sully and Tom Holland as Nate

Naughty Dog having no involvement

Yeah, this isn't going to be good. Very low to no expectation. 

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

7 directors later...

Wahlberg as Sully and Tom Holland as Nate

Naughty Dog having no involvement

Yeah, this isn't going to be good. Very low to no expectation. 

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, adity said:

Dude what the *bleep* is once upon a time in hollywood. 

It was just so f**king random. One note characters doing side quests for 2 hours 35 minutes. It was beautifully shot, brad Pitt and Leo were amazing but what the *bleep* was the plot? Absolutely no substance. Easily the worst Tarantino movie by a huge f**king margin. 

You have to read about the characters in the movie before watching it. 
Now read about Sharon Tate. You'll understand what the movie is about..

14 minutes ago, adity said:

I know about Sharon tate and the Manson family. The movie gave almost zero character development to most characters especially Sharon Tate. I don't give a f**k about Sharon Tate not dying because the movie didn't make me care about her. 

Besides I don't think the movie is about the murders. It's really about that speicifc era but it really doesn't work as a movie. You see things from that era of Hollywood in all Tarantino flicks but here it's all about reminiscing about it and the actual movie itself is just thrown to the side. Tarantino got way too carried away with this one. 

I mean let's compare it with Inglorious Basterds. It's similar to once upon in that it's a period movie and attempts to give a happy ending with the death of Hitler and Nazis but Tarantino didn't just rely on general hatred for Nazis to make us root for our heroes and be terrified of the villains. Every character got room to breathe and we understood their motivations. Hans Landa's terrifying nature was established beautifully in the first few minutes. Similar with Brad Pitt and all other important characters. 

Here, we have Leo who is struggling with mid life crisis and that's his only defining trait. Brad Pitt is a chill badass dude. We know absolutely nothing about the hippies other than that they are hippies and kinda shady. We know absolutely f**k all about the kind of person Sharon Tate is. 

I could go on but it's a bad movie. 

I suggest u edit the post and add spoiler tags.
You have posted multiple spoilers..

1 hour ago, adity said:

I know about Sharon tate and the Manson family. The movie gave almost zero character development to most characters especially Sharon Tate. I don't give a f**k about Sharon Tate not dying because the movie didn't make me care about her. 

Besides I don't think the movie is about the murders. It's really about that speicifc era but it really doesn't work as a movie. You see things from that era of Hollywood in all Tarantino flicks but here it's all about reminiscing about it and the actual movie itself is just thrown to the side. Tarantino got way too carried away with this one. 

I mean let's compare it with Inglorious Basterds. It's similar to once upon in that it's a period movie and attempts to give a happy ending with the death of Hitler and Nazis but Tarantino didn't just rely on general hatred for Nazis to make us root for our heroes and be terrified of the villains. Every character got room to breathe and we understood their motivations. Hans Landa's terrifying nature was established beautifully in the first few minutes. Similar with Brad Pitt and all other important characters. 

Here, we have Leo who is struggling with mid life crisis and that's his only defining trait. Brad Pitt is a chill badass dude. We know absolutely nothing about the hippies other than that they are hippies and kinda shady. We know absolutely f**k all about the kind of person Sharon Tate is. 

I could go on but it's a bad movie. 

No

It is a fantastic movie

9 hours ago, adity said:

Dude what the *bleep* is once upon a time in hollywood. 

It was just so f**king random. One note characters doing side quests for 2 hours 35 minutes. It was beautifully shot, brad Pitt and Leo were amazing but what the *bleep* was the plot? Absolutely no substance. Easily the worst Tarantino movie by a huge f**king margin. 

Agreed. Like, whats the point of the movie? Felt like it was a movie made for hollywood, specifically those who live in Beverly Hills. 

Once upon a time in hollywood is tarantino's love letter to hollywood.  It's not a movie where you go looking for a plot, its one of those random movies like pulp fiction.  If you can't enjoy those random conversations, scenes like the bruce lee fight, the italian sphagetti cameos , then these movies are just not for you.  Its the same kind of complaints i used to hear from ppl who watched pulp fiction too (nothing wrong with it, everyone's entitled to an opinion) like where's the plot, whats the whole point of the movie and so on.  These are just different kind of movies , you watch it enjoy specific moments, conversations etc., may not lead to anything.  To sum it up, i would characterize them as movies about nothing (maybe like seinfeld series ) !

exactly my point, these movies are only about such conversations & specific scenes, not about character development/plot.  Those moments / conversations are subjective and depending on the person they would like it / hate it.  I for one, loved the brucelee fight scene, the scene where brad pitt goes to check out the mason families concluding in the knockout punch to the face, the scenes of leo's self criticism where he feels he's losing his edge (only to be ecstatic , moments later when he regains it) , his cameos in the italian sphagettis, and the final confrontation scene (don't want to spoil it by mentioning it here), these scenes are the reason why the movie is superb.  And regarding sharon tate, it takes real talent to ignore her through the movie, showing her only in glimpses and finally at the end you realize how she's involved :D

Edited by Ne0

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

Once upon a time in hollywood is tarantino's love letter to hollywood.  It's not a movie where you go looking for a plot, its one of those random movies like pulp fiction.  If you can't enjoy those random conversations, scenes like the bruce lee fight, the italian sphagetti cameos , then these movies are just not for you.  Its the same kind of complaints i used to hear from ppl who watched pulp fiction too (nothing wrong with it, everyone's entitled to an opinion) like where's the plot, whats the whole point of the movie and so on.  These are just different kind of movies , you watch it enjoy specific moments, conversations etc., may not lead to anything.  To sum it up, i would characterize them as movies about nothing (maybe like seinfeld series ) !

It's a chilled out Tarantino movie, unlike IB or KB or RD or DU. 

IB still remains my fav. Must've seen it more than 30 times. The first 20 minutes - possibly the best in any movie I've seen. 

Overall, there's no such thing as a bad Tarantino movie. All are sublime. 

The most underrated being The hateful eight. I think it is right up there with Pulp fiction, reservoir dog and others. Sadly, no much appreciated.

I am yet to see Once upon a time in Hollywood. I kinda feel like it will boring and reading comments here make skip this altogether.

I can however watch the hateful eight again!!!

5 minutes ago, dante77 said:

The most underrated being The hateful eight. I think it is right up there with Pulp fiction, reservoir dog and others. Sadly, no much appreciated.

I am yet to see Once upon a time in Hollywood. I kinda feel like it will boring and reading comments here make skip this altogether.

It's not as high energy as [ Django Unchained ] 

Monsieur Candie > Channing Tatum under the floorboards :rofl:

21 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

It's a chilled out Tarantino movie, unlike IB or KB or RD or DU. 

IB still remains my fav. Must've seen it more than 30 times. The first 20 minutes - possibly the best in any movie I've seen. 

Overall, there's no such thing as a bad Tarantino movie. All are sublime. 

Yep, totally.  I love most of his movies.  Fav were pulp fiction & kill bill.

5 minutes ago, dante77 said:

If you enjoyed PF , i dont see why you won't like once upon a time in hollywood.  PF is more non linear, but that's where the difference ends.  The narration style is quite similar,  amazing scenes , excellent acting , witty conversations and the ending which literally makes you go wtf :O